The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #1351
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Why is Fox the only news that is reporting this? As if only Fox is known for integrity.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #1352
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I dunno Sparky; nevertheless, the bill exists and I found it by searching for "physical barrier" at the Philadelphia City Council Legislative Information Center.

I'm sure everyone understands that there is a subtle difference between the Fox News Channel, and local news programs created by affiliates on the Fox Broadcasting Company. They are owned by 21st Century Fox but run by different divisions. Sometimes they share news content. They don't generally share editorial slant. FBC began in 1986 while the Fox News Channel was launched 10 years later in 1996.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #1353
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Are there really restaurants with 30 or more seats where the employees are separated from the customers like that? It seems like the place would get filthy quickly.

I've only seen that setup with takeout or corner stores before.

On the other hand, it could be perversely read to ban drive-throughs in the winter.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #1354
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
It seems like the place would get filthy quickly.
It is the ghetto, it is filthy!

Think Chinese food/Korean deli with 6-8 bench seats, that is what this is targeting.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #1355
Happy Monkey

Quote:
(g) Customer access. No establishment required to obtain a Large
Establishment license,
as provided in subsection (4)(a)(.1), shall erect or maintain a physical barrier that requires the persons serving the food either to open a window or other aperture or to pass the food through a window or other aperture, in order to hand the food to a customer inside the establishment.
Quote:
(.1) Large Establishment license. For establishments with thirty
or more seats regularly available for and accessible to customers to consume food on the premises.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #1356
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

6-8 bench seats = 36-42 seats
Old 11-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #1357
Happy Monkey

Ah... missed "bench seats"... still seems like a lot for someone to manage from behind glass. But it definitely doesn't seem to target liquor stores, which is their stated aim.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #1358
Happy Monkey

More info
Quote:
The city code requires businesses selling malt liquor or beer to have tables and chairs sufficient to accommodate 30 people and to regularly prepare and sell food. The law also requires that consumption be allowed on premises, though many stop-and-go owners discourage loitering inside or intentionally forgo chairs so large crowds won’t gather.
Apparently, it goes with an already-in-place requirement that stores which sell beer and malt liquor ALSO be a 30-seat restaurant.

So it's:
To get a liquor license, you must be a 30-seat restaurant
To be a 30-seat restaurant, you must not have the barrier

The councilwoman is trying to target the places that are pretending to be restaurants to get the liquor license, but may end up hurting actual restaurants in the process.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #1359
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I'm sure everyone understands that there is a subtle difference between the Fox News Channel, and local news programs created by affiliates on the Fox Broadcasting Company. They are owned by 21st Century Fox but run by different divisions. Sometimes they share news content. They don't generally share editorial slant. FBC began in 1986 while the Fox News Channel was launched 10 years later in 1996.
You mentioned this to me, once, like 10 years ago and I never made the same mistake again.

incidentally...
The news programming on the Fox News Channel itself doesn't even agree with the editorial programming on the Fox News Channel.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #1360
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
The councilwoman is trying to target the places that are pretending to be restaurants to get the liquor license
Partly. But this is the ghetto, and the rules are different there. So Steve will tell you, partly because he is a functioning alcoholic and is aware of all places booze can be found:

If you head over to the little deli a block down the street from the pawn shop, the owner there will sell you a shot for $2, if you know about it.

They don't even sell beer. Steve went to the trouble of figuring this out when a lot of pawn shop customers were starting to show up drunk at 10am. Pawn shop customers aren't the sort to plan their booze purchases out way in advance. If they are starting to suddenly show up drunk at 10am, something different is at work.

So some of these aren't actually liquor stores, they aren't controlled at all, and it is considered a problem for the community. But this should be addressed using laws that exist, rather than saying that the deli owners should be killed.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #1361
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
...the owner there will sell you a shot for $2, if you know about it.
One of the stores here in town will sell you a single cigarette.

If you know about it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #1362
Pamela
Deplorable

I suspect it's a new opportunity for the Council to grab more loot in the form of payoffs for variances. It IS Philly after all.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #1363
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The next shoe drops: Steve tells me privately that he is moving back to his home state, and will be leaving the shop by Christmas.

I'm, like, not supposed to tell anybody - but I think you people are good people, and won't share.

His name's not Steve anyway. All the names in this thread have been changed to protect the guilty. Except me. You know me.

Steve was the closest to me, left at the shop; so until something bigger is announced, such as a closure, the thread will slow down even from the trickle it's at now.

It's possible this might bring the end. It's not easy to find a good person who can be trusted to work the shop. But with Steve leaving, the shop only has two people left.

Alan always said that insurance mandated two people be in the shop for it to be open. That makes total sense. But now he can't do his side real estate work without closing the shop for a while.

Either they hire someone else, or everything gets weird. It's already weird. Anyone need a cash job in ghetto north philly for six months? You wouldn't need to do much.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #1364
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The demise of a business, especially one serving the most needy, is sad. But it's totally understandable what lead to this decision. Hope Steve and his unindicted co-conspirators find a better path.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #1365
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Steve has left the shop and so now this thread is a true crime blog. I happened to notice that this happened two blocks north of the shop:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ter-van-crash/

Van driving up Broad at 8:30pm, someone shoots into it and kills the driver. It's a mom; and her three kids, all under age four, are also in the van, injured but not shot.

I sent this story to Steve, who is now many hundreds of miles north. He answers "Van looked like the one that was always parked in the lot with sketchy shit happening."

Steve knows the ghetto and the people better than I ever did, since he spent five years there as opposed to my 6 months full-time. "The lot" is where we parked, a block away.