The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 01-14-2002, 10:08 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

New main area forum

I guess the time has come for a new main area forum. Since the "top 10" of us is dominating each thread so thoroughly, it may be better to spread us a little more thinly.

The original Cellar mk 2 had a section called "Human Relations", or in other words, How we all get along with each other. It's general interest and there isn't anything more open-ended, which is the idea of the main sections.

If anyone has a better idea, or any other ideas, now's the time to post em. (Nic, I think your idea goes into something other than "main" now that I think about it)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:37 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: New main area forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
It's general interest and there isn't anything more open-ended, which is the idea of the main sections.
*confused* Would you mind explaining this a little more clearly? My brain appears to be foggy right now.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:46 PM   #3
dave

WOAH!

YOU PASSED TONY! YOU BASTARD!

Anyway. "Human Relations" sounds kinda like a department in my company. Well, it is. But anyway. I'm not sure about the name, but I think it's a good idea. It kinda of reminds me of my weblog, however - just one guy talking about how he interacts with the world. Maybe I'm a little less focused than that, but you get the idea I think. Still, I agree that it would be cool to add something there. I'm just not sure of exactly what. But this is the place to discuss it, so post your ideas, we'll all contribute, and we'll come out with something cool.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:51 PM   #4
hertz
Dry Nurse

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
The original Cellar mk 2 had a section called "Human Relations", or in other words, How we all get along with each other. It's general interest and there isn't anything more open-ended, which is the idea of the main sections.
A much cooler and geekier name would be "Human Human Relations" (a variation of a well known quote).
hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:02 PM   #5
Nic Name
retired

Whatever comes of this, UT, I think it is a good idea to have a separate thread to suggest and discuss ideas for new forums.

So, to toss a couple of ideas out for feedback or attack, here's some thought's I've been having on the subject.

Conspiracy Theories

We got a taste of that recently, when Griff raised a bogus conspiracy about GWB and spousal abuse.

But there is some controversial stuff floating around out there, like Oliver Stone's thoughts on bin Laden conspiracies.

Then there's the whole Enron thing ramping up. Could be another Watergate.

Civil Liberties

Could include threads on Wrongful Convictions, Death Penalty, Racism.

Law & Order

Peace, order and legislation. Not the TV show.

(While I'm on that topic, someone should start a Thread about the Boob Tube in Entertainment to go alone with the music, gaming and movies threads. I'm surprised it isn't there already.)

The opportunities may be to add some broader threads to the existing Forums, as well.

And now I'd like to listen...
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:07 PM   #6
Nic Name
retired

Media

?????
Old 01-14-2002, 11:19 PM   #7
Nic Name
retired

Hangin' Out

Obviously, its a big part of this community (as one finds buddies and "shared interest groups") to just drop into the Cellar for some mindless chat. It's socializing. It's good. But it can become too personal, and limit participation by others. And yet the "visit" sometimes happens in the middle of a thread which is advertised by its title to be for some other completely different discussion. I think it is the absence of a place to satisfy the need to socialize, that causes some threads to digress into some sort of IM thread between buddies, completely off topic. It's not enough to say to newbies, that the in crowd has been doing this for months now. That worked when the in crowd was the whole crowd. But that can break down the community into factions.

Every community needs a Drop In Center

Another idea, (stolen from Jack Cafferty on CNN) is:

What I don't get ...
Old 01-14-2002, 11:34 PM   #8
Nic Name
retired

Building on what you had in mind when you created Philadelphia you could have a Main Forum that encouraged separate Threads for specific cities. Everyone has local spirit ... not just the Philadelphians.

It's not that these threads would be restricted to the local inhabitants, but the discussion might be relevant to attract new groups to connect within the larger community.

Toronto the Good comes to my mind.

the City thread starter could get creative with the title based on local lore.

City of Angels

This is similar to the social motivation of Derek Powazek's City Stories Project websites (www.citystories.com).

I'm not suggesting a separate forum for each city, but separate city threads within a Cities Forum.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:42 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

Tony you've given life to a monster on this issue i think.
Isn't home base for that kinda stuff?
Quote:
Anyway. "Human Relations" sounds kinda like a department in my company
You sure you don't mean human resources?
Old 01-14-2002, 11:44 PM   #10
jaguar
whig

Instead of a drop in forum as such, how about chat?
THe amount of times you know that other people you'r posting with are on at the same itme as you, would be great ot chat to them directly sometimes outside the usual AIM/ICQ channels.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:49 PM   #11
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
Building on what you had in mind when you created Philadelphia, you could have a Main Forum that encouraged separate Threads for specific cities. Everyone has local spirit ... not just the Philadelphians...I'm not suggesting a separate forum for each city, but separate city threads within a Cities Forum
Outstanding idea Nic! We could share stories about various cities, offer travel tips, etc. Remember though, when this version of the Cellar was launched, many of us were from Philadelphia. God, there can't be more than 30 or so of us Philadelphians now.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:56 PM   #12
Nic Name
retired

Yeah, I know. When this started it was just three guys from Philly saying Whassup?! Nawthin. Watchin' the game. Havin' a Bud. But that's another thread.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:01 AM   #13
Nic Name
retired

There are bunches of guys on here from the same cities ... and they don't even know it!

God knows how many New Yorkers, the capital of the world, members are on here already. Don't get them started.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:06 AM   #14
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
There are bunches of guys on here from the same cities ... and they don't even know it!

God knows how many New Yorkers, the capital of the world, members are on here already. Don't get them started.
*thinks*

There are 2 people I know of on here from St. Louis: Dynamo, and someone else that I can't remember...a female.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:08 AM   #15
Nic Name
retired

Could someone tell me how this community has existed for a whole friggin' year without a Forum on Sports ... and some of you guys are from Philly?

They didn't discuss sports on /. and K5.

I'm not really into sports, but I've noticed the odd fight break out over the subject.

Just a thought for some of the jocks in the community.