The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #691
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I have always used a wire whisk in a roux. I never heard that you weren't supposed to. I think a flat whisk would be even better. I really want one.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #692
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yeah yeah yeah.
Ali & Limey haz it.

Despite my grumble, the more I think about it the more obvious it is.

I shall be practicing a roux over the next few days.
I won't add the more expensive ingredients until I am happy with the basics.

Thank you ladies.
Please accept full blame when I come back cross and covered with flour and looking like Lucille Ball.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #693
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

blame acccepted.

pics or it didn't happen!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #694
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We're going shopping for fish on Tuesday. Having a day out in Thame.
I hope the weather will be better than our day out in Wendover, from which I promised you photos and then reneged.

In the mean time... I defrosted some steak by misteak.
Mum & I have agreed to start labelling things, following the minced turkey misturkey the other week as well.
It's frying steak, but I do not like to fry. I'm just no good at it. And I deplore over-cooked steak, while Mum retches at anything with a hint of pink.

So I checked online and found frying steak works just as well slowly baked with a little liquid.
It was already seasoned, so it is now in a ceramic oven-to-tableware dish, in the oven, covered with foil. I'll check on it in an hour.

Serving with oven-baked sliced new potatoes, roast garlic and onion.
And peas. Which Mum isn't keen on but we finished off the salad last night and I didn't put it on the shopping list today. My fault, no excuses.

Will inform you of how it went.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #695
bbro

I am making pork diane and serving it with spinach orzo and cauliflower.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #696
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Turns out it went down very well.
Mum didn't tell me until afterwards that she moaned to Dad about the way I was cooking it. I thought maybe I'd got away with it, but it's true I heard her padding around the kitchen.

Anyway, she said when her SIL cooked it, it was gorgeous. Oh except it was too rare, so she had to cut it all up and ask for it to be re-fried.
And when she cooked it for Dad it was... okay...
But when I cooked it, it was LOVELY. Win! Win! Win!

She did make a point of telling me it was proper steak and would have been very good flash fried, but I think I set her mind at rest on that front, complimenting her on the steak and just criticising my own frying skills (no lie there).

So I am happy with my evening's work. Even though I am stuffed and she is still eating chocolate.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #697
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm really ashamed of myself. I don't go to 1/4 of the trouble/prep that you people do for eats. sometimes, I just have a pretzel for dinner. You guys, though, are pros. My hat is off to you. When you eat well you're treating yourself with love and respect and taking the time to matter. good for all of you! I wish I had that kind of constitution but I hardly ever prepare - I just wait till I get hungry then eat a piece of bread or something stupid like that.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #698
bbro

Don't feel too bad. I don't always cook. Example - last night I didn't get home until after 8pm, so I actually didn't make my pork. I had some trail mix and called it good because I wasn't really hungry. Lunch today? Tuna salad. Lunch tomorrow? Possibly Bojangles.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #699
monster
I hear them call the tide

some live to eat, some eat to live. We are the latter.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #700
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Mom brought home a whole chicken from Reading Terminal Market, that the butcher was nice enough to cut up for her. And sweet potatoes! Plus, I already had some Brussels sprouts and yellow peppers that I can sautée and round out the meal nicely.

I'd love to have baked sweet potatoes, but I want to make the chicken crispy oven-fried, too! I want it all! I guess I could do the sweet potatoes first, and hope they keep enough of their heat while I'm cooking everything else.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #701
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I'm really ashamed of myself. I don't go to 1/4 of the trouble/prep that you people do for eats. sometimes, I just have a pretzel for dinner. You guys, though, are pros. My hat is off to you. When you eat well you're treating yourself with love and respect and taking the time to matter. good for all of you! I wish I had that kind of constitution but I hardly ever prepare - I just wait till I get hungry then eat a piece of bread or something stupid like that.
I do this A LOT! It's rare these days that I actually feel like cooking, but when I do, it's always pretty simple.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #702
monster
I hear them call the tide

Hebe cooked!

The whole dinner.

She rocks

Toad-in-the-Hole followed by apple pie and custard.

All from scratch
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #703
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

If it's any consolation Bri, I've hardly cooked a meal since I got pregnant. I will probably cook again some time in the hazy future after the baby is born, but i've become really lazy about it, and it doesn't help with sons who work in a bakery who bring home pies and savouries every other day...so really, there's no need for me to cook, since I don't eat anymore anyway. lol
Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #704
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Gambas Pil Pil.
My Aunt cooked it for Mum when she was in Oz, and sent her the recipe as Mum admired it so much. She just called it Chilli Prawns, but I recognised it as the standard tapas dish. Whatever you call it, it's the same - raw prawns cooked in hot oil with chilli and garlic.

Trouble is, Mum printed the recipe then deleted the email. Then lost the recipe. So I found one (many!) on the internet, all of which required far more prawns than Mum had defrosted. I think Glenys meant it as a starter. Or indeed a tapas dish!

Went well though. Should have had more chilli, but I was mindful of the people I was cooking it for and so followed the recipe exactly.

Mum liked it enough to ask for it again - double the chilli and double the prawns, so I call that a success. We had it with some Tiger bread to soak up the juice. Next time I think some salad as well, even with more prawns.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #705
bbro

Homemade chicago style deep dish pizza with pepperoni. Is it too early for dinner? Cause I ate it already