The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 02-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #121
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I use to live 50 ft from the tracks in the station at Secane. Electric commuter trans, didn't make that much noise. But every morning at 1:20 AM, a diesel work train came through doing about 12.3 mph. Because it had to cross North Ave then pass through station they were required(or just took perverse pleasure in) blowing the air horn steady from a quarter mile before the street/station, til a quarter mile after it.

By the way, did you notice the 2nd car from the right? There's the problem, we gotta build a wall along the border up north.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #122
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I stopped in Torrington, WY, on several occasions and huge coal trains trundled through the town over a level crossing about every twenty minutes.

The air horns weren't too much of a nuisance but I was slightly alarmed that the building shook as trains passed.

I've just looked at Google Earth and the motel is 175 yards from the track!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #123
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Around here the protocol is apparently three short blasts of the horn, followed by three long blasts, followed by three short blasts when approaching a crossing. Every crossing.

Every. single. crossing.

There are seven crossings within 3/4 of a mile of my house.

Name:  train.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  119.1 KB

They blow the horn there (nine times), and there (nine times), and there (nine times), and there (nine times), and there (nine times), and there (nine times), and there...nine times.

No matter the time.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #124
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

There's a major thoroughfare RR crossing a few miles from our house that's right in the path to the kids' school... And more importantly, immediately parallel to the highway. When a train comes through, it backs up traffic a few miles down the road toward our house in one direction, and on the other side it stops all traffic on both the access road and the highway for up to 3 exits back. And the trains routinely come to a dead stop just like that rural one above.

Anyway, they have a major construction plan to fix it that will elevate either the train or the traffic (couldn't tell from the blurry specs in the local paper) to keep them flowing independently, and also somehow involve a roundabout. Plans call for something like 2.5 years of construction, but they assure us they will keep the minimum 2-lanes-in-each-direction open during that time. I'm just going to keep taking the back way home, myself.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #125
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Plans call for something like 2.5 years of construction, but they assure us they will keep the minimum 2-lanes-in-each-direction open during that time.
Oh ye of little faith... you be smart.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #126
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What do ya call these things?

Name:  fake garage.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  181.3 KB

It's a garage, of sorts, covered with a tarp-like material. I thought it was framed with PVC pipes, but they're steel, I believe. I call 'em fake garages.

Anyway, Asshole Neighbor (the loud one, not the kittehnapper) got one to cover aaalllll the vehicles they have to have.

He's had it about two months. As you can see, the wind took issue with the structure. Actually, what you can see left of it, left with the most recent stiff breeze. I'm not sure that Beemer has any paint left on the passenger side. What was left of the roof flapped and beat against it in the wind for about two weeks. He don't know where the first bunch of wall/roof went, and he don't know where what was left went when it left, either. All that's left is the skeleton.

I damn near danced when I saw it tore to hell that morning. I don't usually revel in others' misfortune, because Karma, but this is a special situation.

Got any idea what those things cost?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #127
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My buddy has two small one car jobs, they were under $500.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:42 AM   #128
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Harbor Freight sells those garages pretty cheap and there are plenty of Youtube videos on how to mod them to make them more "windproof".
Old 02-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #129
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'm hoping he got it at Lowe's. Theirs, that size, is about $1800.

From put up to blown away wasn't quite two months, btw.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #130
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That feeling, it's called epicaricacy.

Own it.

Use ten times and it's yours. #readersdigestwordpower
Old 03-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #131
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Two unrelated pics:

Max zoom, moving target, handheld not well lit. Over-sharpened in post:

Name:  IMG_2457ab.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  80.1 KB

And some Bambis:

Name:  IMG_2462ab.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  180.2 KB

Old 03-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #132
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

'Nother Bambi...Maybe Aunt Ena.

Name:  IMG_2427a.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  131.8 KB

Wonder why Bambi's mother is just 'Bambi's Mother', and the other characters have names? Reminds me of 'Epstein's Mother' on Welcome Back Kotter...

Old 03-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #133
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Bootsy (not Fargon's, this one's mine, kinda):

Name:  IMG_2511ab.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  112.8 KB

Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #134
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Neat mailbox:

Name:  IMG_2269a.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  222.0 KB

Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #135
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Laws of Photography

612. If the Sun is out, it's in the wrong place.

287. If your camera takes interchangeable lenses, you have the wrong one on the camera for any given pic.

1. Cats rarely cooperate for photo ops.