The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 AM   #1711
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

*based on projections that have been wildly wrong before and cherry-picking the probabilities that will scare you because that's what everyone is trying to do

Precipitation AND water deficit. Kay. But right next to each other?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #1712
Griff
still says videotape

Today is another dangerous wind day here. I'd posit that we've already crossed into a new normal for wind and precipitation. I'm continuing my wind mitigation tree planting here this spring.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #1713
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post

[Wild ass guess], the increased rain, ice, and snow I'm seeing is often from the SE, ocean water. The drying lands to my West are dependent on prevailing winds from the west carrying moisture. [/WAG]
Old 02-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #1714
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
In only 31 years...
According to the map in post #1709. La Crosse Wi is going to have warming. It's 2F rite now on my patio. Winter sux, and I can't open my window.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #1715
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Why do they use RCP 8.5?

Because it's the worst case projection... most likely to scare you
Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #1716
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I'd posit that we've already crossed into a new normal for wind and precipitation.
We're in the same situation. I've noticed the past few years, we've gotten more rain during what were drier times of the year.

And for the past two years we've had an increase in winds that is easily noticeable.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #1717
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Not arguing the validity of the chart, as I know nothing about it. But for what it's worth, flooding and drought frequently go hand-in-hand around here. What happens is the drought makes the dirt hard and packed, so when the rain eventually comes it takes longer to soak into the ground and becomes runoff instead. Once the street drains are overrun, you're fucked--even a normal rain can turn into a damaging flood, especially if an area has been overly developed with too much impervious cover (i.e., non-absorbent concrete covering most of the ground instead of leaving enough open fields.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #1718
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Drought and water deficit are two different kinda dots, and I'd expect precipitation doesn't mean flooding. Most of the specified area is rural - Appalachian mountains, hilly and forested.

None of it really matters because RCP 8.5 is an extreme and unlikely scenario. Widespread use of RCP 8.5 discredits climate science.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #1719
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Here's the border between precipitation and drought/water deficit.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #1720
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Why do they use RCP 8.5?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The RCPs are consistent with a wide range of possible changes in future anthropogenic (i.e., human) greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and aim to represent their atmospheric concentrations. RCP 2.6 assumes that global annual GHG emissions (measured in CO2-equivalents) peak between 2010–2020, with emissions declining substantially thereafter. Emissions in RCP 4.5 peak around 2040, then decline. In RCP 6, emissions peak around 2080, then decline. In RCP 8.5, emissions continue to rise throughout the 21st century.
Seems like the correct one to use when saying "if we don't reverse the trend..." The critique of 8.5 mentioned on that page is "we'll run out of fossil fuels altogether before we get there." I'm not sure whether that's an optimistic or pessimistic critique, but it's not one that's useful to argue against weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #1721
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Never use Wikipedia for any topic that is in any way political.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #1722
Happy Monkey

However, do use Wikipedia instead of absolutely nothing.

Another random site I found has more criticisms.

But they mostly are still of the sort "things can't possibly keep getting worse indefinitely."
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #1723
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

How would you arrive at that via Curry's page?

RCP 8.5 "assumes the fastest population growth (a doubling of Earth’s population to 12 billion), the lowest rate of technology development, slow GDP growth, a massive increase in world poverty, plus high energy use and emissions."

World poverty is decreasing rapidly... innovation in solar and storage and efficiency continue. Emissions in developed countries are kinda flat. The only way you could accomplish that fallback would be with widespread Communism and even that seems to have fallen out of favor in most of the developing world.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #1724
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
The only way you could accomplish that fallback would be with widespread Communism and even that seems to have fallen out of favor in most of the developing world.
Amazing how right wing extremists promote that defeatist concept. For the same reason that ant-American right wing extremists in the 1960s said that mileage standards would force everyone to only drive Ford Pintos. Extremists feed on fear and lies.

The tiniest Ford (a Pinto), back then only got 18 MPG. And most larger cars only got 8 or 10 MPG. Why do all my Hondas do 30 or 40 MPG? Innovation by patriotic Americans - in this case Japanese citizens.

Put $30 of gasoline in a car. How many dollars of gasoline actually move the car? About $4. Obviously there is plenty of room for innovation. But extremists fear what moderates do - innovate.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #1725
Happy Monkey

Quote:
RCP 8.5 "assumes the fastest population growth (a doubling of Earth’s population to 12 billion)
That's less than double, and it's almost doubled in my lifetime, during most of which had China enforcing a one child policy.
Quote:
, the lowest rate of technology development,
Rate of technology development is not intrinsically tied to reduction in pollution. New technologies can be very polluting. Cryptocurrency, for example, only increases pollution. Cell phones (and, heck, pretty much every consumer product) have moved more toward disposability with every generation. If they make the phone so that it can last a week on a single charge, that energy efficiency is offset when you throw it in the trash after its nonreplaceable battery dies (or, worse, when the new model comes out).
Quote:
slow GDP growth,
As likely as not, especially in the context of everything else in the model.
Quote:
a massive increase in world poverty,
That was in the summary of the article, but wasn't mentioned in the body.
Quote:
plus high energy use and emissions."
check and check.

This paragraph exemplifies the objection to 8.5, in my view:
Quote:
Originally Posted by judithcurry.com
RCP8.5 assumes no decarbonization of world power sources from new technology (e.g., solar, wind, fission, fusion) or regulations to reduce not just climate change but also air pollution and toxic waste. Although possible, how likely is this? For example, use of solar and wind is skyrocketing as these technologies improve.
Hopefully, yeah, but when the discussion is whether or not to push renewables and environmental regulation, at least one of the models ought to assume we don't. Otherwise it's just "we don't need to do it because the future people in the model will do it for us."
|_______________| [pics]