The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Car Advice

I just got into a minor fender bender coming home from work. The card behind me couldn't stop in time and clipped my 2003 Ford in the right rear bumper, going about 10 mph.

I have a $500 collision deductible. I couldn't care less about the external damage to my rear bumper, which is just scratches. I am concerned about the damage underneath, including the bracing and especially the unibody alignment.

The car seems to be driving ok. Taking my hands off the wheel I do not notice any significant drift.

Allstate wants to send me to Sterling for an estimate and repair. The Allstate representative says that they could give an estimate without committing me to using them. Sterling says that once they start checking for damage to the bumper and frame, I am committed to paying them.

Is it worth it?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i don't think so
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I agree.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well,

It turns out that there is a drive thru center nearby, so I can take my car there for an estimate. The estimate will probably include just replacing the bumper minus $500. I can take that estimate to any shop I choose and they can check for damage.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 09-03-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You can also look yourself. Behind the fascia, if there's no sign of anything having moved, anything bent or distorted, anything the paint or even dirt has been scraped off by relative movement.

It's one of those things where, if you see damage there is damage and if you don't see damage there might be damage but less likely.

I doubt like hell the drive through will do any more than just that, unless you've got a door or tailgate that's sticking. You know, something indicating a problem.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
I just got into a minor fender bender coming home from work. The card behind me couldn't stop in time and clipped my 2003 Ford in the right rear bumper, going about 10 mph.
Isn't it the other guy's fault (for not maintaining a safe following distance)? Then, isn't he (and his insurance) on the hook for your repairs?
- Pie
Old 09-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Isn't it the other guy's fault (for not maintaining a safe following distance)? Then, isn't he (and his insurance) on the hook for your repairs?
- Pie
Not with no-fault. I really didn't even want to press it except that a) I was concerned about frame damage since it was not just a dent and b) I felt like I had been punched in the back and wanted to see how I felt the next morning.

I actually felt ok, just a little stiff which was handled with Ibuprofen. If I could be sure the cosmetic was the only damage I would skip the whole thing. The woman probably had to report anyway since her front bumber retracted and had small pieces of plastic chipping away.

I'll take it in to the drive through and see what they say. I thought that all they had to do to check frame alignment was put it into a machine.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:54 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's true but the machine has to be set up to the particular vehicle so it can lift the car by certain points on the frame or in the case of a unibody certain jack points.

Come to think of it, I haven't played with one in 6 or 7 years. Maybe an outfit like Allstate, with their deep pockets and busy lines, has a computer controlled whiz bang setup that will process them quickly.