maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

tales from a dying empire

http://news.sky.com/story/1250478/ch...ppies-in-class

HA!
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Not sure about connecting it to an Empire.
I don't know anyone who thinks in those terms any more.

But yes, it's a real problem rather than one puffed up by the media (for a change).

My niece is on a young mothers continuing education course at college and she told Mum that there were girls on the course who actually said that they wouldn't "bother" toilet training their toddlers because the crèche/ nursery/ school would do it for them.
She mentioned it because she was shocked and surprised. Mum said it to me in the same way.

Neither my sister nor I came across this while working in Reception (4-5 year olds) in our schools. Okay, I was only there for a few years, but Laura's worked in her school for over 10. So it's nowhere near every school (and the survey results reflect that).
But it really shouldn't be happening at all.

Some boys are late developers.
I knew more than one, in my personal life and in my professional life who had routine "accidents". But that's what they were. And in general the girls were all dry all of the time unless they were actually ill. And any slight issue caused terrible embarrassment and desperate tears. I had one girl say to me, "Please don't tell Mummy!" I had to of course, she was going home in a different pair of knickers than she came in with. She was just a shy girl who hadn't wanted to ask to leave the class until it was too late.

My personal opinion on the article is that nappies are now much more comfortable and effective than they were, parents are busier and spend less time with their children than they did (I disregard the lazy slatterns mentioned above) and more and more is expected of those who are paid to be in loco parentis.

Solution?
Education of parents before they put their children in education.
Sadly, Health Visitors are a thing of the past.

Tags
culture death, game of (non) thrones, oops i crapped my pants