The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #61
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
but with things like peppers, putting them on half does you no good. The pepper oils creep over big time. .

That is the ulimate in pickiness!

Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #62
Juniper
I know, right?

Oh, I really miss having time and energy to cook real dinners these days. Most of the time I make something frozen or from a kit. I am trying to teach my kids to cook, too; we're starting with Hamburger Helper.

Tonight we had coneys (that's chili dogs with cheese) and macaroni and cheese. Real fancy stuff.

Tomorrow, though, I have no school - it's Veteran's Day. Got plenty of stuff to do, essay to finish editing, client work to do, but I'm going to make a nice meal for a change. Got a pork roast in the fridge. Still thinking about what to do with it, besides sticking it in the crockpot with some veggies. Which is certainly an option.

Oh and BTW I like green olives on my pizza too. My favorite pizza (well, one of them) is pepperoni and green olives from LaRosa's. I like all the veggie stuff on pizza - I'm not picky like SOME people.

When we get pizza delivered here, we get a Large for the boys with a bunch of meat, and a medium for the girls with veggies - tomatoes, mushrooms (only if they use fresh, not canned), peppers, green and/or black olives. We've even gotten spinach on pizza; it's pretty good.

I also like Donatos' Mariachi Beef pizza. Yum.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #63
Pie
Gone and done

Trader Joe's mac'n'cheese, sugar snap peas sauteed with shrimp.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #64
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Tonight I made a pot roast with baby carrots and onions in my brand new dutch oven. It turned out awesome!! Way better than the old crock pot.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:38 AM   #65
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

We had chicken satay tonight. We make our own satay sauce though. I don't really like any of the bottled ones.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #66
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Just buffalo beef burgers with cheddar, maybe scalloped potatoes. I'm still thinking of another side, but no one seems to carry the hoagie rolls I want so I may have to slum it at albertsons for a few. I could also pick up the nasty mayo I like. Yep, slumming it in the unhealthy stores while my husband isn't around....

I also have an excuse to go buy a new coffee french press today!! Yea!! The other one apparently broke on my husband this morning because when I woke up I found the french press saran wrapped and rubber banded together? It was weird. So I have been using a rag as a filter and grinding the beans extra thin to make cups of coffee. Ghetto! Love it!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #67
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Anchovies are always available in the 'za joints in California -- I think it would cause shock and anger if they were not. The wife and I (and this is usually her idea) will have anchovies added to a veggie pizza as reinforcement, though we also get them from time to time with a meaty one. She dislikes pepperoni; says it's too greasy. Can't say as I see eye to eye there.

Except for being fish, anchovies otherwise hew to all the essentials of pizza animal protein: strongly flavored, and more or less oily. Too, Californians put sliced avocado on pizzas too. We would. Goes on right after the pizza comes out of the oven so the slices are well warmed but not brutally melted.

I haven't seen hardly anything in the way of green olives, though they're probably around. I'm very fond of black olive teamed with Italian sausage. An added sprinkle of green olives...? Hmm. And hot peppers give pizza macho: it does not slide apologetically down your gullet, but puts up a respectable battle. Sort of the buccal equivalent of mechanical bull riding.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #68
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I love a cheese pizza with black olives and anchovies. Need to make sure there's plenty of garlic in the sauce though. Most people think that sounds disgusting, but I'm telling you, it's a nice pizza.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #69
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
..... Sort of the buccal equivalent of mechanical bull riding.
Have you ever thought of a career as a food writer?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #70
Pie
Gone and done

corn tortillas; cilantro chicken sausages, shredded and panfried; mango salsa; guacamole; shredded cabbage; black beans.

Oh, and I second limey's recommendation, UG.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #71
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*slightly green around the gills* this was so the wrong thread to read in recovery. I ate olives the evening I started with the bug...I doubt they were connected, but right now I feel i'd be happy to never ever see another olive again.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #72
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Last night I made a real down home dinner. No capers, no splash of burgundy wine sauce, no half-shells, no hints of saffron, not even a melange, nothing balsamic, no endives, and not even a hint of jus.

I made a meatloaf, cheesy potatoes, green beans, and biscuits.

I saw everything I made, and I saw that it was good.

So I eated it.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #73
jinx
Come on, cat.

Sounds good.
I had a meatloaf craving recently but have never made it and didn't feel adventurous. Is there a standard recipe? Do I have to buy soup mix or something? Would turkey burger work?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #74
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

You know, I wing it every time, which is unlike me, and sometimes it turns out good and sometimes not. I just used seasonings, an egg, tomato sauce, and some bread crumbs. Oh, and ground round.

Hmm, but I bet there is a soup packet that would be good, and I'm sure turkey burger would work too. I'll have to try that sometime; I used to use turkey substitute meats a lot more.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #75
glatt

I like meatloaf with some chopped onion in it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes