The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #76
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

thanks , it has promise. I am not sure I'd like the mushy bread crumbs. I googled and came up with something using cheese.
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • salt to taste
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
I think I am getting close but I am thinking something with cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella or a bread would be best.

Last edited by skysidhe; 07-27-2006 at 06:41 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #77
skysidhe

chocolate zucchini cake

I've actually tried chocolate zucchini cake and it's divine.

When I first encountered Clotilde Dusoulier's fabulous Chocolate and Zucchini website, I thought to myself, "How wonderful, the ingredients of my favorite cake!" My grandmother taught me how to bake when I was very young, and later when I was in high school she sent us a recipe pulled from Sunset Magazine for Chocolate and Zucchini Cake. Being adventurous, and knowing how good zucchini bread tastes, I tried it and it quickly became my favorite - the standard against which all future chocolate cakes were measured. The main distinction of this particular cake is its moistness. The zucchini absorbes the cocoa delivering the full flavor of chocoate, but without the heaviness of some other chocolate cakes. Today mom pulled the recipe out of some forgotten folder, still intact from the September 1974 issue of Sunset. I haven't made the cake in over twenty years, but it is still as delicious as I remember it. Here's to you Clotilde! Happy belated Birthday and thank you for the inspiration of Chocolate and Zucchini.
2 1/2 cups regular all-purpose flour, unsifted
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup soft butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Glaze (directions follow)
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
1 Combine the four, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
2 With a mixer, beat together the butter and the sugar until they are smoothly blended. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a spoon, stir in the vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini.
3 Alternately stir the dry ingredients and the milk into the zucchini mixture, including the nuts with the last addition.
4 Pour the batter into a greased and flour-dusted 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes (test at 45 minutes!) or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes; turn out on wire rack to cool thoroughly.
5 Drizzle glaze over cake.
Glaze: Mix together 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 Tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth.
Cut in thin slices to serve. Makes 10-12 servings.
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...chini_cake.php
Old 07-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #78
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That's about 2/7ths zucchini by volume. You could probably sneak that much wet sawdust in and noone would be the wiser if you used maple or sweet birch.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #79
daniwong
Vice-President of Resentment

Maybe not a recipie per se - but I had this drink the other day at a Greek restaurant and it was soooo nice and refreshing on a 110 degree day.

Regular lemonade - if you are lazy like I am - I used minute maid.
2-3 basil leaves - chopped into small strips
1-2 slices lemon
1-2 slices lime

Mix the basil, lemon & lime in the bottom of a chilled pint glass - mulch it like you would a lime & mint for a mojito. Then put in ice and pour lemonade over the mixture & ice. Basil lemonade - add some vodka and its even better. Regardless - extremely refreshing on a hot day.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #80
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's cool! The basil we are growing this year is called "lime basil" -- and damn, if you crush it and smell it, it smells exactly like a cross between basil and lime.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #81
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
That's about 2/7ths zucchini by volume. You could probably sneak that much wet sawdust in and noone would be the wiser if you used maple or sweet birch.

haha funny! ok so do YOU have a good zucchini recipie??
( That would be zucchini bread if you please )
Old 07-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #82
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
haha funny! ok so do YOU have a good zucchini recipie??
( That would be zucchini bread if you please )
you could dip it in batter and deep fry it...

I like zucchini, but you really ought to compost them if they get much bigger than a banana.

julienne cut them and saute in a little butter, dress with some celtic sea salt and balsamic vinegar. Simple.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #83
skysidhe

julienne cut sounds nice
Old 07-31-2006, 07:35 PM   #84
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

POT BROWNIES

Carefully manicure 1/8 to 1/4 oz. primo grade cannabis sativa and set aside.......

just joking, folks. I loved the old bell bottom days. Still have my Barracuda jacket.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #85
skysidhe

please send me some !
Old 09-03-2006, 01:12 AM   #86
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

As long as somebody plants zucchini there will never be famine in America.

Lots of kids who hate zucchini, but no famine. Maybe an invasion of zucchini-triffid hybrids, but no famine. If the triffids get southern California in late summer, look out for triffid-artichoke hybrids.

If I keep this up I'm going to give myself an appetite.

Anyway, to keep the thread active, a crosspost from the Chicken Masala thread a little ways down:

Madras Curry Powder

5 TBSP dried ground red New Mexico chile pepper
2 tsp ground Cayenne
4 TBSP ground coriander seeds. Grind the whole coriander yourself.
4 TBSP ground cumin seeds. Ditto.
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground fenugreek seeds. Maybe ditto. I got a little packet of ground fenugreek and it lasted years.
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1TBSP cardamom. Grind this yourself from the seeds or pods, sift if needed.
1 tsp ground cloves.

The grinder here may be a coffee grinder. Mix all ingredients, grind until fine, store in tight-lidded jar, yield is about half a cup. Fresh-ground ingredients rather than buying powdered spices really make the difference. This is a general-purpose mix and you can play with the proportions for anything short of vanilla ice cream, I suppose. If I want turmeric in it, I just add by eye and taste. Recipe from The Whole Chile Pepper Book.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #87
Rawbap
Kinda New Member

It is really??
Rawbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #88
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

hmmm...

now THAT'S fucking intelligent.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:08 AM   #89
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawbap
It is really??
Page 216.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #90
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

Not quite Greek Shrimp Salad

Chop up equal amounts of tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion. Also chop equal amounts of black olives, artichoke hearts, and hearts of palm, so that the total is about 1/4 the tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion combined. Mix well.

Add crumbled blue cheese (or feta if you like), and dress with small amounts of oil and vinegar.

Place 10 medium cold boiled shrimp on each end of an oval platter, and fill the middle with the salad.

Put red shrimp coctail sauce in a small dish. If it does not already have horseradish in it, add some. Cut up a lemon and squeese it over everything.

Serves one. Find 20 more shrimp and if you have enough salad, it will serve 2. You get the point.

Not Greek because in a Greek salad you are supposed to use feta cheese, and also seed the tomatoes, which I view as a waste of time equal only to peeling the cucumber. Also not a shrimp salad, because the shrimp is not chopped up and distributed with the other stuff.

I chop the olives because even if the can says "pitted", sometimes I have found a pit, and I would prefer to have the knife find the pit rather than my tooth.

Anyway, that is for dinner tonight. Not exactly hard to do.
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes