Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Future of Republican Party

Coming up to the election, there were two completely different worldviews and it is clear which side succeeded. At least to me, and I'm sure most people here, it was clear what happened: Republicans tried to force a radical narrative and stuck to with it even when there was zero substance behind that narrative. While it did have some power, that radical narrative obviously wasn't influential enough to win an election that Republicans should have won.

Looking at demographics, it is clear that the Republicans are fighting a losing battle. Assuming Obama comes out on top of the popular vote (seems like it), Democrats have won majority 5 out of the past 6 elections and this trend will only continue if nothing changes. From the Republican primary, it is also clear that the GOP is split between moderate and "tea party" factions. Romney, a weaker candidate in general, was forced to appeal to the radical side of the GOP to get financing and a united GOP, moving him too far to the right to get enough independent voters to win the election.

Republicans have an upcoming choice in the four years: admit that your narrative is rejected by the majority of Americans and move to the center or double down and hold off the inevitable for another decade or so. I welcome a more moderate GOP since I do not want Democratic solely in control, and there are positive signs already that many Republicans will move in that direction. It will not be a clean shift, a "civil war" may break out, but I think it will be extremely interesting to see the political landscape around 2016.

I agree with many others here that a Clinton versus Huntsman 2016 would be ideal. However, a lot can change in four years.

Some interesting articles explaining why Republicans lost:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...n_party_s.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...eaders/264855/

Newt Gingrich admitting that the GOP needs to move in a different direction:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...p_ref=politics

Last edited by piercehawkeye45; 11-07-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Apparently radial and radical have two different meanings...
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote