The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

And the "liberal media" got all that cash.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #32
Griff
still says videotape

$400 million of redistributed income... no wonder they're pissed.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #33
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Well, the Republican Party has (should have) made a decision what they want to do. What is it? First indications should be apparent this week.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #34
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Civil war (between themselves).
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #35
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Well, the Republican Party has (should have) made a decision what they want to do. What is it? First indications should be apparent this week.
Well, Mitt was taking "women's issues" advice from his wife, which might have actually worked if she wasn't the reincarnation of June Cleaver.

So if upper crust Republicans they want some input on Latino issues, they should go to Latinos who they know personally.

Now that Mitt can go back to hiring illegals again, I'm sure that he will be able to figure out with their help that supporting the bipartisan Dream Act instead of running away from it in the primaries would have been a big help.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Forget the Dream Act, as it appears Dream Act hater Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.),will be chairman of the House Judiciary Committee with primary jurisdiction on immigration matters.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #37
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

From The Economist of 10 Nov 2012:
Quote:
But what about the Republicans? Their script is depressingly easy to write. The party's leaders will once again conclude that they lost because their candidate was not a genuine conservative, and vow to find the real thing next time. Possible future leaders like Paul Ryan, this year’s vice presidential candidate, will head to the right in preparation for the 2016 primaries. Compromise with Mr Obama will be treason.

If the Republicans do that[,] they will be abandoning all electoral sense. They managed to lose an election again in a country where conservatives still handily outnumber liberals ... with extremist positions, such as rejecting any budget deal involving tax cuts even if spending cuts were ten times greater. Their obsession with abortion and gay marriage4 seems ever more out of touch with woman and young people. And their harshness towards illegal immigrants cost then the growing Latino vote ... Plenty of independent voters, and this newspaper, yearn for a more pragmatic Republican Party. Doing a deal on the deficit with Mr Obama would signal its rebirth.
But again, a benchmark from a conservative publication that defines conservatives verses wacko extremists.

Will the party be a conservative party? Or a party of wacko extremists? Starting this week, we discover if the party's intelligent leaders get promoted. Or if Limbaugh brainwashing, Cantor naysaying, and Tea Party ignorance continues to declare all others as evil.

Smart extremists only create one bogeyman. Wacko extremist Republicans cannot find enough bogeymen. Unfortunately, the vote also shows how many are so easily brainwash by rhetoric not supported by any facts, numbers, or intelligent thought.

Even the Dream act is somehow evil. No wonder an old guard of racists line the ranks of current Republicans. Jesse Helms and Trent Lott would heartily welcome these extremists Republicans to every Strom Thurmond birthday party.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #38
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Too many good quotes to put all of them on here:

Quote:
Writing at Politico, Rep. Steve LaTourette says poor Republican voters are suffering under false consciousness. No really, he says that. He says they've been brainwashed like in The Manchurian Candidate.

" Republican primary voters were conditioned by these ultra conservative special interest groups into believing the way that we could change a Washington crippled by partisanship was by nominating even more bitterly partisan candidates."

The tension between the profit- and ratings-driven right — call them entertainment-based conservatives — and conservatives focused on ideas (the thinkers) and winning (the operatives) has never been more evident.…

And the entertainers’ power isn’t just with gullible grass-roots activists who are likely to believe whatever nefarious rumor about Obama is forwarded to them in an e-mail chain — it’s with donors, too.

Outside of Washington, New York and state capitals, the big conservative givers are as likely to have read Ed Klein’s Obama book and seen Dinesh D’Souza’s documentary 2016, and generally parrot whatever they just heard on Fox News as the old lady stuffing envelopes at county GOP headquarters.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...ass-war/58922/
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
Rhianne
Nearly done.

I'd have thought you could get a better quote than that from someone called Steve LaTourette...
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #40
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Nice.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #41
SamIam

I think the Republican Party should go into comedy - the birther movement, Donald Trump's many appearances as Republican mascot, Karl Rove's election night emmy award winning performance, Grover Norquist calling Romney a "poopy head," and now I hear that Republican dominated Texas wants to leave the Union and get its Lone Star status back - you can't make stuff like that up. They're naturals!

Last edited by SamIam; 11-12-2012 at 09:04 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #42
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Individuals in 18 states have already filed for succession. It obviously won't go through but funny in a sad sad sort of way.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #43
Flint
Snowflake

Let's not get confused about this, Texans are ALWAYS entertaining the notion of independence. Take a look at my location--that's always been that way.

Part of the reason, to be honest, is we actually have the means to do it. It's just cute talk unless you can back it up.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #44
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

there are now 20 states with petitions to withdraw from the us
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #45
Griff
still says videotape

We can expect 50. Canada looked pretty good during the W debacle lottsa folks here threatened it. This was SOP in America until Lincoln killed 620,000 of us to make a point.