The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #46
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
If the idea of God is just a representation of the sum total of all human potential through all time, the top of the hierarchy of values, and a word for the (mostly Darwinian) forces that guide us, that we cannot hope to completely understand, I believe in all of that.

It looks like everybody just made a human mistake and over-personified that concept, and now God is "Sky Daddy Who Controls Everything And Judges Us". If instead of that, God is everything above, then we are the judges all along, and what is Godlike is what best serves our potential.
I agree very heartily with the general shape of your take on what God is.

One idea that I wish that more religious organizations would embrace, and make a real effort to encourage in their devotees, is that reconciling scientific knowledge with religious concepts doesn't devalue the moral and practical applications of religion; and if we are genuinely interested in religion being a tool of betterment for the world, we should embrace anything which makes it stronger and more resonant with people who were born in the 20th/21st century.

The Iron Age was a long time ago, we should stop trying to live in that mindset. Let religion be a strong force for moral leadership in the world-- TODAY'S world, the world WE live in.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #47
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I like that, Undertoad. It's a nice thought.

An examination of childhood indoctrination:

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #48
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
One idea that I wish that more religious organizations would embrace, and make a real effort to encourage in their devotees, is that reconciling scientific knowledge with religious concepts doesn't devalue the moral and practical applications of religion
Yessir. If they are just stories, and we recognize them as stories, we can learn from them, even if they are scientifically inaccurate. (We have learned almost everything from stories based in fiction!) The problem is as Dana points out, the indoctrination is to the Sky Daddy format, which is way more useful for the indoctrinatin' part.

It's like, I am down to call myself Christian, if it just means figuring that the Christ story is to the good, and calls you to act like the dude. But Christians won't have it, they need you to believe in the physical resurrection, before they let you in the club. JFC, wouldn't it be an even better story if Christ could not rely on supernatural magic powers? That's why we like Batman...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #49
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
That's why we like Batman...
UT just won the thread.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #50
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
That's why we like Batman...
and Joan of Arc.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #51
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
... the primary reason to homeschool is: 'the world is loud and it completely drowns out the voice of the Lord.
God finished speaking long before mankind even existed. George Burns (as God) got it right. He had defined the rules, principle, concept, and reality. We do with it what we want. God says nothing more. Everything is already defined. It is up to us to learn it, make of it what we want, and either advance mankind or 'wreck shit'.

God does not care. Otherwise he would be a corporal being - not a god. Gods do not have silly things such as emotions (ie love hate contempt, anger). Only false idols have and do that.

One who ignores things such as science and math is ignoring what God said long ago. They who foolishly stop searching for more of what God said long ago are drowning out God's words. George Burns accurately parodied what God really is.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote