The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-07-2004, 05:26 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Great consumer experiences

I always think about starting a thread like this when something good happens.

I mentioned elsewhere that I drink Peets coffee, which you can order from peets.com. I buy it five pounds at a time and get it shipped. This time I ordered two bins of cocoa powder at the same time, and one kinda rare coffee, and with shipping it was like $75.

It didn't arrive on its due date and a few days later UPS tracking showed it as delivered somewhere, somehow. But it wasn't here! The tracking details said it was delivered to "WOMAN MC" which was strange because there's generally not a woman here and if there is, she isn't an MC.

I wrote to Peets and they said they would send out another lot, and they did. And they sent it two-day air from the other side of the country.

A week later, the original box shows up! So I write to Peets and say, what now? I could ship this thing back to you but I'll just wind up buying it again in a couple months. And they said, never you mind. It's whole bean so it'll keep. Just put the bags in the freezer and enjoy.

$75 worth of coffee and cocoa... for free!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:43 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

"WOMAN MC," "MC MALE," etc. are terms UPS usually uses when they release an item to someone without a signature.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I haven't had any.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

We've ordered Peets for years, and they're service has always been excellent. They have the best customer incentive program ever. When we stopped our regular 2 week shipment for a while, they waited about 2 months, then sent us a free pound of coffee with a note saying "It's been a while since you've ordered from us, so we wanted to send you this free pound of coffee to remind you of the quality of our coffee." We re-upped the next day.

I've had the same kind of experience with a music gear company that's mail order, called Sweetwater. I called them the first time about 10 years ago, and they immediately give you an account manager (no matter how small your order), and then that's the only person at the company that you deal with for as long as your a customer, or as long as they work there. In ten years, I've only had that position turnover twice, and each time the new person was completely up to speed on all of my endoresments, my current gear, the kind of work I was doing, everything. Even when I've had technical problems, or needed to return merch for repair, the same person was my contact.

It's awesome. I'll never buy elsewhere, and it's completely because of their level of customer service. They treat every customer like a pro client.

-sm
Old 10-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have to agree, Sweetwater is great. Not that I can usually afford to buy anything from them, but their weekly email newsletter is great too.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

My best experience would still be from Jenaer, which sent me a free replacement lid for the teapot I bought used from Goodwill even though I told them that I had bought the teapot used and offered to pay.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:29 PM   #7
lookout123
changed his status to single

my greatest experience ever was with Swiss Army brand watches. i bought one years ago. i wore the thing to saudi and all my other deployments in the military. it was beat to crap but never quit working. the battery didn't even give out on it for 2-3 years. then one fateful night i was playing gorilla ball with some friends when i got knocked on my ass. i got up bloody and bruised and the watch had broken. the casing had cracked and the band had come off. the face was askew so that the hands couldn't turn.

i took it in to the watch shop and said that i knew it wasn't under warranty, but i would like it fixed if possible because i really liked it and didn't want to spend $150+ for a new one.

i waited 2 weeks and then went back to the shop to check on it. the guy handed me the box and i opened it up to find a brand new watch and a hand written note that said "Sorry for the inconvience. Our watches don't break." no charge, not even for shipping.

i still have that watch and i only buy swiss army brand watches now. i love that company.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:50 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bought a Kwikkie aluminum step ladder from some catalog. The normal warning labels are in Dutch, German and French but no English. A chick borrowed it and it came back with one of the plastic feet missing. Mailed Geprufte Sicherheit in Holland, at an address from the Dutch label, telling them it was 10 years old, model # and I lost 1 of the feet. Two weeks later, 4 new feet, gratis. Class

I buy nuts for the winter holidays from Sunnyland farms in GA. One year I got 5 lbs of pistachios that just weren't as good as usual. Tasted like they came from the supermarket, if you know what I mean. They sent another 5 lbs right away and said throw the others away because if I wasn't happy with them, they didn't want to take a chance on someone else not being happy and not telling them. Class
Old 10-07-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
marichiko

My local mechanic. He's wonderful! Knows I don't have much money and scouts the used parts places for replacements for me and charges me so little for the repair job that I'll sometimes give him extra $ if I have it. He once did a brake repair job for me for completely free - "that's your life on the line, can't risk that," he said. Once he did a repair job for me before I had to drive my car to a place 400 miles away. I asked if he thought my car could make the trip. "If not," he said, "I'll personally drive my tow truck out and come get you. I guarantee my work!" And he meant it, too. Really great guy and expert mechanic!