The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 03-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
glatt

Building a bandsaw on the cheap from mostly scrap wood

This is a placeholder.
I plan to come back and update this thread from the start to show the process of me building a band saw.

But for now, here's a picture of bearings being glued to the unfinished wheels.
Name:  bandsaw wheels.JPG
Views: 705
Size:  85.0 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Popdigr just bought a pawn shop table-top bandsaw for $30.

That man can find some deals, he can...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The #1 secret of getting deals is having cash, with you, right there in your pocket. Driving a vehicle you can take it home on the spot is #2.
I've had too many people back out given time to think about it, or a buddy tell them they could have gotten more, while I went to the bank or borrow a truck.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Damn, I just took a peek at Craigslist. $125 for a beautiful old Craftsman.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
glatt

I had been looking at craigslist around here for a while and there are no tool deals at all. Tools can be found, but good ones are rare, and they are overpriced. I think it's because there is almost no industry in this town, so you don't get that critical mass you need to support that market. Plus I don't have a truck to run out and pick up a tool within hours of seeing it posted online.

This band saw will hopefully wind up costing about $200, including the brand new motor, bearings, and steel shaft from Ebay. The wood is mostly scrounged scrap wood, but I did need to buy about $50 of new pine boards for the frame. I'm at about $200 right now and I still need to buy some bolts and knobs and stuff, so tt might be $20-$50 more. I've gone through most of a gallon jug of glue already.

What I'll end up with is a 16" bandsaw, which would cost at least three times what I will spend. But this isn't about saving money. If I add the value of my time into the equation, I come out way behind. This is about having fun making something that should hopefully be pretty good when I'm done. In theory, I can make this tool be better than one I could buy. I won't know until I'm done, how good it is, but I'm hopeful.

And it's a big project. My goal is to finish in 2016. If I can keep up my current pace, I should be done by summer.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Shit, the braggin' rights alone is worth at least grand.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
What's your game plan for balancing the wheels?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
glatt

I'm going to spin them on their shafts and turn them down to size with a chisel, just like on a lathe, and then balance them by putting them on little roller blade ball bearings on a screwdriver, and just remove wood as needed with a forstner bit until they are balanced. They will look a little ugly with holes drilled in them, but they will work well.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
glatt

This project is building a band saw based on plans by Matthias Wandel. I wish I could take credit for designing this band saw, but that would be a considerably more time consuming undertaking. I paid $21 to Matthias for the plans, and despite numerous spelling errors throughout, the plans are very detailed and helpful. I’ve deviated from the plans in a few places, but only in the techniques I use to do the same thing.

I share some of the same concerns as UT in wondering if it’s a bit self-centered of me to post a diary style thread, but I figure people can skip it if it bores them. This is a big part of my life now, and it’s important to me now, so I’m sharing it.

OK. Let’s get this thread started for real.

Sunday, 2/14/16
I come back from Home Depot with a gallon jug of glue and a bunch of boards. I spent a lot of time scratching my head in HD trying to figure out what boards to buy. They didn’t have the sizes I expected, so I did a lot of rough calculations standing in the aisle. Turns out I bought too much.
Name:  IMG_3604.JPG
Views: 504
Size:  116.1 KB

Monday, 2/15/16 Presidents Day!
I spent all day cutting everything for the frame to the correct size and width. I made a lot of sawdust. The frame is sandwiched lumber of varying sizes so that the joints overlap as you build up the frame. Great idea, but it means every piece is pretty much a custom piece. It’s getting complicated, so I label every part.
Name:  IMG_3606.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  125.0 KB

This is the plan on top of some of the boards I haven’t cut up yet. The plan prints out over multiple pages and my son and I used a glue stick to glue this together at the dining room table.
Name:  IMG_3607.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  116.3 KB

Sunday, 2/21/16
You can see that I’ve taken a few of the pieces and cut them into triangles. Seems simple, but I have to pay attention to make the grain go the same direction as the hypotenuse in the triangle. This makes the frame stronger and requires that I cut the other two legs. I want a frame with tight fitting joints, so I take my time and try to cut the triangles as accurately as possible.
Name:  IMG_3631.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  120.3 KB

Last edited by glatt; 03-31-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
glatt

Saturday 2/27/16
It’s the next weekend and time to start gluing these pieces together into a frame. I decide that instead of clamping all these layers together, I’m going to screw them together as the glue dries. This is a utilitarian machine and I don’t need a furniture quality finish to the thing. It’s much more important that this frame is nice and flat and square, and by using screws, I can just build the frame up from a flat bottom layer. To ensure it’s pretty flat I use the cast iron table saw top as the glue up table. I lay everything down on the full sized frame plan to make sure everything lines up correctly. Here you can see the table saw in the background with the frame starting to be laid out, and all the pieces lying on my workbench waiting for their turn. Some in the middle have slightly complicated notches cut in to them
Name:  IMG_3659.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  122.8 KB

Laying the first layer out on the table saw. Making sure it’s lined up just right. You can see the light colored board is just slightly thinner than the darker boards. I hadn’t really noticed this yet, and it’s going to be a pain later.
Name:  IMG_3658.JPG
Views: 496
Size:  114.8 KB
Old 03-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #11
glatt

Sunday 2/28/16

The gluing is really going forward this next day. I used screws that are designed for pocket holes. They have almost ¾ of an inch of unthreaded shank and then about ¾ of an inch of thread. And they are flat headed with a sort of built in washer. Perfect for pulling the top layer down onto the lower layer. These screws are self tapping, but I drilled pilot holes because I was shifting the boards around when I tried to just use the self tapping feature. It required too much force.
Name:  IMG_3660.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  115.6 KB

This is when I added the third layer later in the day. It took a couple hours for the first layer of glue to dry enough to take all those screws out and reuse them to glue down that third layer with a second glue joint.
Name:  IMG_3662.JPG
Views: 530
Size:  118.0 KB

I used a lot of glue because I was noticing little gaps here and there between layers and I wanted the joints to be strong. So there was a lot of squeeze out of glue. This is why I put plastic down onto the tablesaw surface first.
Name:  IMG_3663.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  94.5 KB
Old 06-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
This project is building a band saw based on plans by Matthias Wandel. I wish I could take credit for designing this band saw, but that would be a considerably more time consuming undertaking. I paid $21 to Matthias for the plans, and despite numerous spelling errors throughout, the plans are very detailed and helpful.
Coincidentally, I've been watching a lot of his Youtube content, and ran across his bandsaw, which looked very familiar.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Enjoying this
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Very much.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #15
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Very good.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote