The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 10-23-2016, 07:07 AM   #316
glatt

I even bought a metric tape measure and used metric units every time I measured anything.

The plans said that US dimensional lumber could be used for the frame, but I wish I had bought a thickness planer and run the boards through to make them all the standard metric thickness when I started this thing because this is the third time I have run into an issue with the frame being thicker than the plans called for and it caused a problem.

At least it's in my basement where I can fix it. If it was on Mars, I would be out of luck.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #317
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
And stationary rather than travelling at 24,000 KPH
Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #318
glatt

I spent all weekend taking it apart and tweaking it.

The biggest improvement in eliminating vibrations was re-balancing the wheels. It's possible there was moisture in them from the glue up and as the glue dried and the wood around the glue dried, the balancing I did before had to be tweaked a little. Although it's also possible that I just did a shoddy job last time.

Also, a big improvement was that the pulley on the drive wheel was 20 thousands of an inch out of round. So I spun that wheel up again and very carefully used a chisel to get the pulley groove round. I could feel the chisel wanting to rock back and forth with the pulley as the wheel rotated each time, so I really held it tightly against the tool rest and just eased it ever so slightly against the pulley to nibble gently away at the higher side as it came around. I could hear a bit of a pulsating cutting sound as it only nibbled away at the high side. Once the sound became constant cutting, I stopped. When I measured it again, it was 5 thousandths out of round.

Then I turned my attention to getting the wheels lined up better. And I started taking pictures.

To get the top wheel directly over the bottom wheel, I needed to pull it forward by 8-9 mm.

So I started by removing the brackets that hold the entire top wheel assembly in place. Fortunately they are just screwed on. No glue.

Name:  IMG_8651.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  87.3 KB

Then I cut two shims 8 mm thick.

Name:  IMG_8649.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  79.9 KB

I glued the shims to the uprights.

Name:  IMG_8652.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  82.6 KB

And clamped them to dry

Name:  IMG_8654.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  100.0 KB
Old 10-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #319
glatt

Maybe this was another metric vs. USA issue, or maybe it's just a bad detail in the plans, but the notch I cut in the table support to make room for the lower powered wheel isn't long enough to pull the wheel forward and remove it from the shaft. To remove the lower wheel, you have to take the table off. So after removing the table to get the wheel off, I chopped the notch a little to make getting the wheel off easier in the future.

Name:  IMG_8656.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  99.6 KB

And here's is the top wheel reassembled after putting that shim in.

Name:  IMG_8659.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  90.8 KB

I don't have enough hands to hold a long straight edge and take a picture at the same time, but this picture is supposed to show that the top and bottom wheel are coplaner now. Yay.

Name:  IMG_8660.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  85.2 KB

With the top wheel pulled forward, the blade guard made out of the oil can doesn't fit around the wheel any more. So I have to make a bigger one. Fortunately, I have another one of those big olive oil cans in my junk pile. This time, I plan to use the English side of the can.

Name:  IMG_8658.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  108.8 KB
Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #320
glatt

It will be as wide as this blue tape.

I didn't get a shot of the completed guard yet. But it's done and installed.

Name:  IMG_8663.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  78.2 KB

The saw blade is tracking well now, and the vibrations are much improved.

Now I have to work on the cover again.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #321
Griff
still says videotape

Bravo!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #322
glatt

Working the last couple of nights on another cover. This time I'm measuring from the frame instead of following the plans. It should fit, and I will be embarrassed if it doesn't.

The front cover is a cm wider.
Name:  IMG_8673.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  72.0 KB

And the sides I'm gluing on are 2 cm deeper to account for how far forward I moved the top wheel and to provide a bit of clearance.
Name:  IMG_8674.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  117.8 KB

Last edited by glatt; 10-28-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #323
glatt

As I was making the cover, I noticed that when cutting bird's mouth joints on the diagonal boards that support the edges of the cover, the cuts weren't square in the front-to-back vertical axis. It was off by about an eight of an inch over 5 inches. Pretty bad. The table supports were a few thousandths different from one other and the support arm was too. And they actually lined up just wrong to multiply the error. Anyway, I put a couple broken off hacksaw blades under the support arm to act as shims, and brought the table into squareness.

Here, I'm pointing at the ends of the hacksaw shims barely visible in the picture between the frame and the table support. Using a hacksaw blade as a pointer.
Name:  IMG_8680 (2).jpg
Views: 200
Size:  85.0 KB

And checking the squareness of the table to the blade now. It's still not absolutely perfect, but it's close enough. Maybe off by 1/16th of an inch over a foot.
Name:  IMG_8682.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  68.8 KB
Old 10-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #324
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
He needs a lathe...
Yes...
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #325
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Yeah, but where can you get excelsior these days? Everything is styrofoam peanuts now.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #326
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
And checking the squareness of the table to the blade now. It's still not absolutely perfect, but it's close enough. Maybe off by 1/16th of an inch over a foot.
That's nearly a quarter of an inch to me.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #327
glatt

This is the state of my art in the shop right now.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #328
glatt

That click click clicking you hear is the weld in the blade hitting the blade guides. I have little experience with band saws. How normal is that?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #329
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Usually blades are welded by heating red hot and pushing them together which causes a bulge in both sides. That's why the big Do-Alls have a welder and a grinding wheel to clean them up. You can grind off that extra weld on both sides od the blade if it was welded properly.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:05 AM   #330
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Duginske describes how to deal with that in his book