The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-10-2020, 11:25 PM   #76
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I still don't understand how that accident happened. He caught the truck's rear Mansfield bar and ripped the drivers side off. Was the truck crossing his path?

Anyway here's the factory in Nevada...
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #77
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The sheer level of attention to detail is amazing!

The car has an app, to manage it while you are away from it. On its home screen, the app shows a picture of the car. Since my car is blue, the picture is of a blue car.

If I back into my driveway, the car is shown facing away. If I drive in forward, it's shown facing forward.

Here, see below, I backed the car in.

Also, the green light at the rear taillight is on, because the car is charging, and also, there's a cable leading up to the charging port.

If a door or trunk is open on the car, it's shown as open on the app picture.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #78
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
If I back into my driveway, the car is shown facing away. If I drive in forward, it's shown facing forward.
By facing forward, you mean nose toward the camera, but still facing left, right? Because surely you want to see the little charger plug from either angle?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #79
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes, imagine the car above turned 90 degrees counter-clockwise
Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #80
glatt

Thanks for taking the trouble to track down another camera to take a picture of your phone, and then get that image off that other device and into the Cellar.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:43 PM   #81
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

i appreciate your appreciation, I was briefly puzzled at how to take a picture of my phone with my phone (and never really remembered it can take a screen shot)

That is J's phone though, and her hand holding it.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #82
Griff
still says videotape

😂 What is your charging situation?
Old 08-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #83
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I have a 120v that is close enough to the car, which is all I have used so far (excepting Superchargers). It does charge 4-5 miles per hour so it's more than enough for my regular commute. (I expect that charging speed to drop in winter though.) If I ever need faster juice, I can run an extension cord from the dryer's 240v/30 amp that will charge at 22 miles per hour. But that has to run out a window, so it's not a permanent solution.

The 10 foot extension cord to carry 30 amps was $75. srs bsns
Old 08-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #84
Griff
still says videotape

Now you need the solar roof and powerwall!
Old 08-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #85
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Right! But first I need to own a house to put the roof on.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #86
Griff
still says videotape

Order of operations issue.

I have a friend who built off the grid a few years ago. He spends time on battery maintenance. A plug and play solution is much more attractive to me.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hmm, there would be less sun available in VT or northern NY... better move south
Old 08-12-2020, 08:59 PM   #88
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Elon Musk's solar roofing tiles are pretty attractive. Haven't looked lately at the overall price/viability, but I assume it's just a matter of time.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #89
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

xoB pointed out to me that our state has a rebate program. I had forgotten. It took several tries to get the documentation right but I will get back $750 from the state.

xoB is a fine gentleman. I promise to use these funds only for good, and not for evil.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #90
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

From The Economist of 30 Jul 2020:
Quote:
To provide buyers with some peace of mind, carmakers guarantee their batteries, typically for eight years or around 200,000 km. Producers are now, though, planning to go much further than that, with the launch of “million mile” batteries.
American law says batteries must last 100,000 miles. This is accomplished by not letting batteries discharge too much. By not charging too fast. And by charging and operating most often at temperatures closer to 50 degrees F.

To be able to charge on a 90 degree F day, I can only assume a Tesla has some sort of battery cooling system.
Quote:
The lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries which power electric cars age in two ways: with time and with use. Battery-makers call time-dependent ageing “calendar ageing”. It is a consequence of the gradaul degradation of some of the materials employed in battery construction. This degradation reduces a battery’s ability to hold a charge—though even here it is possible to ameliorate the problem to a certain extent. Leaving a car with a fully rather than partly charged battery, for example, can increase the rate of calendar ageing. ...

Each cycle of discharge and recharge takes its toll. Lithium is so highly reactive that stopping it getting tied up in other chemical compounds while a battery is in use is hard. Even a small amount of diversion per cycle adds up, reducing the amount of the element available to store energy. On top of this, changing up faster than ions can be absorbed by the anode may result in a layer of lithium “plating” building up on the anode’s surface, reducing its storage capacity.

Plating becomes yet more of a problem if it leads to the development of structurs called dendrites. These are small, finger-like fibres which project into the electrolyte from points on the anode where plating is especially elevated. If a dendrite reaches the cathode the battery will short-circuit, causing it to heat up rapidly and possibly catch fire. ...

Once a battery’s capacity falls below 80% of its starting value, it is generally thought no longer suitable for use in vehicles. Some reckon that, on average, Li-ion battteries lose 2% of their capacity a yaer. This may not seem much, but by the time a vehicle is six years old it could mean it is halfway through its useful life.
Most of the article recites GM claims. As if GM is well ahead of everyone else with its Ultium batteries. Production starts in Ohio next year.
Quote:
Elon Musk has hinted that Tesla, a Californian maker of electric vehilces of which he is boss, has a million-mile battery in the works. Rumours suggest this could be unveiled in September.
Quote:
Plans are afoot to let electric-vehicle ownrs connect their jalopies to the grid in a way that will store surplus electricity generated in times of plenty by wind and sunshine and release it during hours of peak demand, with the owner collecting a fee for doing so. That means these grid-buffering vehicles will be racking up lots of charging cycles even when they are not moving.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote