The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-31-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

2016 Must Die...2017...Um...Jeez

So...tonight is my 14th anniversary of joining Teh Cellar. I am doing much the same thing tonight as I was over a decade ago...staying home, being warm and comfy with my wife (different wife, but hey...), and surfing the Interwebz. There will be what should be Dick Clark on TV, there will be champagne, there will be an awareness that we all need next year to be better than this year. I am nothing if not consistent.

May 2017 bring us all closer. May 2017 spare us the constant demise of our loved ones, our icons.

And, as always...I wish you all a Nappy Ho Year.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Happy New Year Els! And to all my Cellar friends! X

Sent by magic.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Yup.

(I had put it in the tag cloud)
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
be-bop
Operations Operative

Happy new year to all, hoping 2017 is a better year for everyone
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Yup.

(I had put it in the tag cloud)
You are *awesome*. My first post. Sniff. Thanks for looking it up. I'm still pathetic!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Happy New Year!!!
And to All A Good Night!!!
Talk to Y'all Next Year!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's weird, because out in the world 2016 was really quite shitty, but inside my own personal little bubble it was actually a really good year. Definitely the best for me since 2009, by a mile.

And then I think, hang on--I had a cousin get stabbed in the neck and suffer permanent brain damage, I had another cousin commit suicide, I came to the realization that my brother will inevitably die early from alcohol or depression, I spent 2 hours a day for 3 months teaching my stepdaughter how to drive, we're spending so much money scaffolding her in her new life and we can't even use her college fund for it, I received hate mail from people I didn't even know... How is it that I have the impression that this was a good year for me? And yet it was.

I'm working with a guy right now, and he told me a story about how when he was young, he fell and broke his leg. And in the course of asking him about it, we realized that he remembers nothing of the pain, or the hospital, or being stuck inside for the rest of the winter, or the trapped nature of having a full-leg cast at a time when there was really no such thing as crutches for children. All he remembers is at school, someone had to carry him to class on their shoulders, and he felt like the king of the world. Breaking his leg is one of the fondest memories of his childhood.

I think there's something to that. I think we should try to be like him. I'm not as good at it as he is, for sure, but I'm trying.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #8
glatt

I like that. I feel like my 2016 was pretty damn good. But when I look back on it and really analyze it, I should think it sucks. But it doesn't.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Yeah man. I had a great 2016. Only really remember not liking 2010. That was a rough patch. I made more money for me and the company than I ever have. I got engaged, Cohabitated, Cowboys are good. Fuck yeah. America!

Onwards, and upwards!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
Elspode

My 2016 was decent as well. Way too much job shit...but money has been ok, health ok, friends ok despite cancer scares and other shit.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:22 AM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Happy fuckin New Year!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mine sucked more than any year in memory... and that's a lot of memory.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #13
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

My 2016 was good as well. I Ended the year with a bang, except for celebrities dying all the time. Let's just not talk about the election. Even though I'm becoming more and more Deplorable.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

My 2016 has been all about overcoming challenges and still staying upbeat. I struggled to deal with the divorce and not let it tear me down. I struggled to find the perfect house for me. I found it, but then had to put a lot of money into it and in the process the guy who did not finish cleaning up the overgrown landscaping threatened to sue me for the rest of the money (I had given him half down). That was nerve-wracking, but I powered through and now I don't hear from him anymore. Then I found out that I had tumors in my ovaries. I struggled to stay upbeat (and was pretty successful) while I went through the series of tests and then the surgery. Now, I'm struggling to come to terms with a cancer that is not common and will kill me. Its treatable and i will go through chemo, but it is not curable. The only question now is when it will get so bad that nothing can be done and nobody can give me a timetable on that. Maybe 3 months, maybe 6, and maybe even a year or two. So my burden now is working out how to stay positive and upbeat. Because if I'm going to be all morose about it, then I might as well kill myself now, which I don't want to do.

Throughout this year I have been really successful at keeping my chin up even though it probably was the suckyest year ever for me. I always told myself that the strongest steel is forged by the fires of hell. So I hope as 2017 rolls along I will get stronger and not remember the pain of the last year.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You *sound* strong and upbeat, and that's more than half the battle.