The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #2776
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
No, it's just no important to me if you think you have seen one that works in any way shape or form that you think it should work, or in your attempts to shill for the Obama Administration and the Demoncratic Party.
Oh for goodness sake. That is such a pathetic line to keep throwing out just because someone holds views that are on the left. Seriously Merc, change the record.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #2777
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Oh for goodness sake. That is such a pathetic line to keep throwing out just because someone holds views that are on the left. Seriously Merc, change the record.
Responding to Redux's Echo. Pretty fair response. Do you think I am going to change his position or he his going to change my position? Fuck woman, I hold what can be considered "Leftist" views!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #2778
DanaC

Ahahahahahaha. I'm sorry. In what strange bizarro world are your views leftist?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #2779
TheMercenary

Quote:
You mean my generalized support for legalization of drugs or gay marriage? The right of a woman to choose to do with her body as she wishes without interference from the government? Or how about my opposition to Eminent Domain Laws? Shit, you don't know a fucking thing about me....
Old 07-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #2780
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Putting aside the silly diversions about shilling for Obama when you cant support your own position, the US system of progressive taxation is hardly a leftist program of wealth redistribution, given that it has been implemented by law by presidents and Congresses of both parties since the 1920s.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #2781
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
Putting aside the silly diversions about shilling for Obama when you cant support your own position, the US system of progressive taxation is hardly a leftist program of wealth redistribution, given that it has been implemented by law by presidents and Congresses of both parties since the 1920s.
Still not important to me what you think about it. Plenty of people support the idea of a Flatter or a Fair Tax, and don't support the wealth re-distribution policies of the Obama Administration.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #2782
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Merc is the right's token leftie.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #2783
TheMercenary

, hell, most of the right clubs would never let me in their write clubs. I can't conform.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #2784
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Me neither. I have views that go against my liberalism too. Nothing is black or white, I guess.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #2785
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Me neither. I have views that go against my liberalism too. Nothing is black or white, I guess.
Unless you view things through your toilet paper roll cardboard tube.

I am certainly guilty of it.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #2786
DanaC

Quote:
You mean my generalized support for legalization of drugs or gay marriage? The right of a woman to choose to do with her body as she wishes without interference from the government? Or how about my opposition to Eminent Domain Laws? Shit, you don't know a fucking thing about me....
Ok, fair enough. I can see you hold some socially progressive views. Though, aside from legalisation of drugs, most of that is centre politics (in the UK, don't know about the US). It's only the raving rightwingers and devoutly religious that don't support the woman's right to choose, in my experience.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #2787
SamIam

Quote:
How do you know what I am or am not interested in? I am very interested in these programs because I have been paying into them since I was 15 years old.
You are certainly interested in the Federal Income Tax enough to make quite a few posts concerning it. I don't notice you displaying the same amount of concern over FICA. Income Tax rates are what seems to tie your knickers into a knot.

Quote:
Ok, define that. What is the ceiling income that places one in this group of cats? Where does it start, where does it end?
According to the most recent edition of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats which reflects the latest statistics from the 2010 census:

Quote:
A Pleasingly Plump Cat has an income well over the amount where Cats are required to start paying the Federal Income Tax. They often prefer imported catnip and may own a boat or a yacht. The Pleasingly Plump Cat can be differentiated from the Fat Cat because Fat Cats, unlike Pleasingly Plump ones, own Leer Jets and tend to stash their financial holdings in offshore accounts in places like the Caymen Islands. The Pleasingly Plump Cat does not like to be waxed.
Quote:
What investments do I have and where are they invested?
That is absolutely none of my business. However, I think we can safely assume that you don't keep your savings in a sock under your matress.

Quote:
Why would a pinch at one level be any different from a pinch at another level when the bite becomes bigger and bigger as income increases, thereby placing the majority of all income tax burden on a small group (minority) and little to none on another (majority) group? That is wealth redistribution and I don't support it.
First of all, let us keep in mind that the percentage of those who do NOT pay income tax is 47%. So 53% of Americans do pay the tax. Plus, this situation is a TEMPORARY one brought about by the recession and the measures enacted to stimulate economic recovery. In a more typical year, 35 percent to 40 percent of households do not pay federal income tax. And as I and others have already reminded you, income tax is simply one of a number of taxes that people pay. It is disingenuous to state that of all taxes, only the federal income tax matters.

86% percent of working households pay more in payroll taxes than in federal income tax. In fact, low- and moderate-income people pay a much larger share of their incomes in federal payroll taxes than high-income people do: taxpayers in the bottom 20 percent of the income scale paid an average of 8.8 percent of their incomes in payroll taxes in 2007, compared to just 1.6 percent for taxpayers in the top 1 percent of the income distribution. I am including a fun chart for you to look at.

The above info comes from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities. http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3505

Oh, and 20% of all taxes go to the military. So you are transferring a portion of your wealth (if you want to look at it that way, to the men and women who serve our country, giving their lives at the whim of some politician. Supporting our troops seems like the very least we can do, and I am surprised that you make no mention of this when discussing where OUR tax dollars go.

I was going to address the rest of your post, but I’m at work and lots of tourists are coming in wanting rooms, so I need to get off the computer.
Attached Images

SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #2788
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
You are certainly interested in the Federal Income Tax enough to make quite a few posts concerning it. I don't notice you displaying the same amount of concern over FICA. Income Tax rates are what seems to tie your knickers into a knot.
True, entitlement programs as big as these will have to be dealt with separately. Their time will come.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #2789
TheMercenary

Quote:
A Pleasingly Plump Cat has an income well over the amount where Cats are required to start paying the Federal Income Tax. They often prefer imported catnip and may own a boat or a yacht. The Pleasingly Plump Cat can be differentiated from the Fat Cat because Fat Cats, unlike Pleasingly Plump ones, own Leer Jets and tend to stash their financial holdings in offshore accounts in places like the Caymen Islands. The Pleasingly Plump Cat does not like to be waxed.
Entertaining, but none of it applies to me.... sorry to disappoint.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #2790
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
That is absolutely none of my business. However, I think we can safely assume that you don't keep your savings in a sock under your matress.
True, but it is in other places. Not in Stock, bonds, and the other BS you projected. Thanks.