The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
TiddyBaby
The internet's like a bra, underneath ya find a boob or two

Your Documentaries: watch ya watching?

I have very basic basic cable, (so I can use cable isp for $$ off)

... So I don't have the upteen Discovery/History/Bio/ or Arts and Entertainment channels.

I depend on my newgroups to download documentaries and such... (many things not on full cable USA ie BBC, CBC)

What are you watching?

What do you suggest?
TiddyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
TiddyBaby

(for example: I just finished watching "Ancient Voices" and it dealt with the first Americans were some 40 to 50 thousand years older than the mongoloid "native american" indians.

The first Americans were Afro-Australian Aborigines in Brasil, complete with cave paintings at the time of the ice age)
Old 04-22-2006, 01:47 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

pbs.org has large numbers of frontline episode available in streaming video.

I have a personal collection of special nut documentaries that I'll pull out from time to time. My favorite is Tittcut Follies.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
TiddyBaby

thanks, wolf...

I been collecting the "Cosmos" series.

and from the BBC, "Occult History Of the Third Riech"

and just for fun from the CBC (for who can figure out the Canadians) a spoof type docu on Canada during the mid-to-late 60s regarding rock music, sex, hocky, ect.

the "Tittcut Follies" sounds familiar... I think Newzbin has listed them before..
will look for it.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

whoops, I misspelled ... Titticut Follies.

It's a documentary about a nuthouse in New England. The documentary was only to be shown to treatment professionals, and spent a couple years being banned.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:06 AM   #6
Gromitspapa
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Watched No Direction Home by Martin Scorsese recently. Really enjoyed it. Made me appreciate Dylan a lot more.
Gromitspapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

i just brought Grizzly Man, more a movie than a doco but its well worth seeing anyway. Makes you think about a lot of things = life, what we are doing to this earth and its creatures. directed by a great director / editor too.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

I think it was last weekend, I watched "The Teachings of Jon" on PBS. It was an amazing story about a couple that had a down syndrome child. Through the advice of a doctor sent him to an institution right after he was born. This doctor also told them that he wouldn’t live past age 5. Six years later (they hadn’t seen him the whole time) the woman who was caring for him died. Apparently the “institution” was just one lady and him. He had been confined to a crib his whole life so he was never taught to walk, talk or eat anything but baby food. He couldn’t even drink through a straw. The parents had had three other children since Jon. They brought him home to live with them and began to teach him how to live. Jon is now 40 years old. Still lives with his parents and is very close to his siblings. He never learned to speak properly and communicates mostly through hand signals and claps. Despite his past, he seems to be a happy guy. And his parents, though guilt ridden, have a very good since of humor about it all and are beginning to plan for Jon’s life after they pass.