The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-25-2002, 08:17 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1/25: Pearl the dog gets hives

Had enough of dog images yet?

Well this is the second time that I've posted one of my own pics. This is Pearl, a Boston Terrier, one of my dogs. Her fur is all tufty because she is shown having a severe allergic reaction to her annual vaccinations.

Beyond the image, there are a bunch of interesting facts about the whole matter. Firstly: the main treatment for this kind of allergic reaction is Benadryl. Benadryl is one of the medications that works for both people and dogs. Pearl was given an injection of it along with some steroids. She was later put on an IV so they could get it into her blood really fast if necessary.

I find it interesting that there are meds that work for both species, because dogs are built quite differently from people. For example, chocolate can kill dogs -- it's poison to them. A high cholesterol diet, however, is no problem; they are built to digest fats well.

The second allergic reaction is generally worse than the first, in cases like this. What is shown here is actually Pearl's second case of hives.

The allergy to the shot can be to the substance used to preserve the vaccine, not necessarily the vaccine itself.

There is a rabies vaccine that lasts three years instead of just one year, but most county health departments don't have up-to-date laws about such things.

The emergency vet reports that real life isn't like the Animal Planet TV show "Emergency Vets". It turns out that many people have trouble with the idea that emergency vet services cost a lot of money, balk at the price, and wind up putting their animals through suffering and death. People, don't get a pet unless you are prepared to pay for all its needs for life.

Pearl made a full recovery in about 24 hours.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

Re: 1/25: Pearl the dog gets hives

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
It turns out that many people have trouble with the idea that emergency vet services cost a lot of money, balk at the price, and wind up putting their animals through suffering and death. People, don't get a pet unless you are prepared to pay for all its needs for life.
Damn straight.
Well said, Tony.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:54 AM   #3
dave

Awww. Poor little Pearl.

That would bug the shit out of me, having hives on my back that I couldn't scratch. Man.

Did she roll around on her back a lot or anything? Just curious how she reacted to them.

Anyway. Your dog's cute.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:20 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

She was clearly uncomfortable and unhappy, but she wasn't rolling - not scratching anywhere except her face. My big concern was that her face was swelling, and as a smooshed-face breed, she doesn't have a big enough nose to begin with. Her breathing never became labored though.

People can now make fun of me for posting pictures of my dog, but of course she is the cutest dog ever, and the most spoiled.

That's one of my mottos: spoiling your pets is part of what life's all about.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:39 AM   #5
Nic Name
retired

I wouldn't make fun of posting pets. It's a great idea! I think all pet owners in the Cellar will be posting pics of their pets, too. I can't wait.

That's why I suggested a Pets forum, when UT asked for ideas about new forums.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic
By the way, judging from the "conversations" in other threads, it might also be a good idea to start a forum called something like Pet Paradise, where members can share their love for particular animals, along with their pics and stories, etc. With the number of members who likely have pets of various kinds, this could be a huge interest group. (The subject of pets has a strong effect on community, because it discloses "personal" details that show the personality to the individual members.)
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:40 AM   #6
dave

Man. I'm glad you posted that last pic. THAT is a Friday image.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:55 PM   #7
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

aw, your dog is adorable.

poor thing, though, for the hives. i had hives two years ago for some reason (i never found out why it was and i'm still interested in knowing, because i'm not allergic to any of the normal things). ow. they itched like hell and hurt to match. i even had some right on the edge of my feet (right where the bottom meets the side) and it hurt a LOT to walk.

tell your dog i said hello what a cutie.

and to add this, i posted a picture of our dog a week or so ago on some thread, so i won't be making fun of you. dogs are great.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 04:34 PM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

That best portion of a good man's (or dog's) life,
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
( appologies to Wordsworth)
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Branden
Banned

Oh damn, its extremly impressive. How much old is she? Because I'm concerned
about her pregnancy and reproductive production.
I mean, looking for some pups like it. I already have pomeranian but now
looking for a mix breed of terrier.
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You are about to spam us, aren't you Branden?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

lol

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

What makes you say that?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Is it the Pakistani IP address?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Adak
Lecturer

Just after WWII, an American (journalist, IIRC), was bitten by a rat on Okinawa, Japan. Rabies was a possibility, BUT he knew he was allergic to the horse serum, which was how the Pasteur series of shots for Rabies treatment, was made (at that time).

He was given a choice, to take the treatment (which might kill him, since there were 12 shots in the series, which you took in the abdominal area), or not. He was also allowed to see a film of a guy dying from Rabies, because he had not received treatment in time, after being bitten by a rabid animal.

He took the treatment. It was very difficult, but he made it. After watching the dying rabies victim, he said he'd take anything before risking that.

For your Terrier, what about getting a County councilman well sold on your issue, and see about getting the regs changed. If the vets say it's OK, why would the County not approve it?
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Poor Pearl. You post a picture if her as a pup and someone has to go and bring it up again 10 years later.