Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #376
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Did he get a duck kiss on his tuchis?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #377
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Surprisingly, no real injuries except a cut finger and a bruised pride. He sure smelled bad though.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #378
Griff
still says videotape

I was just reading an article about cycling to work. The author is afraid that gas prices will put more inexperienced cyclists on the road. You're much more likely to crash when you first start. So now that your husband got that out of the way he should start riding seriously now!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #379
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

With mountain biking, I've always felt that if you're not crashing, you're not learning anything new.

I hope the bike was ok.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #380
Griff
still says videotape

Took a quiet pedal through the woods today. Feeling oh so mellow... I'm iceing my wrist, it may be improving all is right with the world.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #381
glatt

My old Schwinn Varsity 10 speed has a messed up rear wheel, so I haven't been using it much lately. Broken hub which means two spokes are missing and can't be replaced, and the spokes are all out of tension. It pings and pops if you try to ride it. It's been a problem, since my daughter wants to go riding, so I've been riding an extra kid's bike we have. A Mongoose trick bike.

Lucky for me, my neighbor just threw away his mountain bike last week. It looked to be in really sad shape, the tires were flat and falling apart, the brakes were out of adjustment and not working, it was all dirty/moldy, and the handlebars were all twisted around. It really looked like trash. I took it out of his trash pile, and an hour or two of TLC later, the thing is working like a charm. It still could use new tires, but other than that, it's in great shape. He's even my height, so it fits me.

All the logos on the frame are worn off so I don't know the brand, but the wheels say Specialized, and all the derailers, cranks etc. are Shimano. It's got some sort of eliptical cranks. Actually they aren't eliptical, they are Biopace chainwheels. Shifts smoothly and rides well.

Now that I think about it, the seat is really uncomfortable. Some gel thing with a hole/channel in the middle. Felt like I was messing up my junk on an hour long ride I took with my daughter. So I need to switch a seat from one of the other old bikes, or buy a new one. And get new tires. Otherwise, not bad. Free bike!! Anybody know what kind it might be?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #382
Griff
still says videotape

Its probably a late '80s Specialized Stump Jumper or Rock Hopper. You can look here for the specific model. They were the bomb back in the day.
Nice find!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #383
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

SonofV and I rode to the last scout meeting. After some griping about being ambushed with the change in wheels, we had a good ride. It's about 15-20 minutes and on the way there, we crossed paths with the SPL, who was driving. SonofV had his competitive fires stoked by the encounter and pedaled like a madman to "Beat him to the meeting". We didn't arrive first but we sure rode like winners!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 AM   #384
HungLikeJesus

I was going to Leadville, Colorado, for a meeting and decided to bring my bike so that I could ride the Mineral Belt Trail. When I got out of the meeting, the sky was black. The trail runs right past the Aquatic Center, so I decided to leave my car there and go clockwise around the loop.

I thought that I could stay ahead of the storm, and then sneak around behind it. I got 0.4 miles before the rain hit and the temperature began to drop, but I had brought my bike to Leadville, and I was going to complete the loop.

I said that if there was lightning, I would turn back. There was lightning, but I kept going.

There was wind and hail. There was a monsoon.

My shoes were full of water and I couldn’t see because of spray coming off my front tire.

Every time I pedaled, water would pump out of my shoes.

I was breathing through my mouth. Hail lodged in my esophagus. The temperature was 39°.

By mile three I couldn’t feel my hands.

There was a long down hill section with a road crossing at the bottom. The bike wasn’t slowing, and I couldn’t tell how hard I was braking. The brakes began to make a noise like a sasquatch trying to mate with a wood chipper. I remember thinking that at the time, “sasquatch trying to mate with a wood chipper.”

To occupy my mind I wrote a poem. I’ve already forgotten it. Something about death.

I finished the loop and got back to the car. My hands were so cold that it took me several minutes to get the car key out of my pocket. I think I had hypothermia and frostbite.

I’m glad I brought my bike to Leadville.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #385
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Sounds like you were crucified by the weather....

We encountered one of what the locals refer to as a 'pisse comme la vache' rainy day in France a few years back. Persistent rain hour after hour rather than the variety of stuff you had, but with much the same effect on vision and feet. It culminated in having to get through a village (there was no way around it) where the road that was flooded to crotch height - of course we didn't realise it was this deep immediately - for some twenty or so yards. Instead of approaching the obstacle in the correct way (hoisting our bikes over our shoulders - perhaps the fact that they were laden with full panniers for and aft had something to do with it - we tried to cycle through. Not possible, and extremely inadvisable - my pal's bike ended up with a broken/corroded crank while both of us enjoyed soaking wet clothing (both in and out of the panniers) as a result of our hasty decision to sally forth!

Who said cycling wasn't fun?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #386
HungLikeJesus

Cyclefrance - I think you had it worse. At least after my ride, I was able to go into the aquatic center and take a warm shower and dry my clothes a little under the air dryers.

These are the memorable rides.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #387
Griff
still says videotape

Absolutely! We did the 100 mile leg of the MS150 in the rain one year, it leaves an impression. Watching the riders fall like rose petals in the heat a few years back left another.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #388
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Finally got the 'ole rig out again for the year a couple weeks ago. The pup fills her trailer out a bit more than last year . She's pushing 45-46lbs this year, and I can definately tell.

"Mom? Why are we going so slow?"
"Because, *pant* we are going, *huff, huff* uphill, now *pant* shush!!"
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #389
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Finally got the 'ole rig out again for the year a couple weeks ago. The pup fills her trailer out a bit more than last year . She's pushing 45-46lbs this year, and I can definately tell.

"Mom? Why are we going so slow?"
"Because, *pant* we are going, *huff, huff* uphill, now *pant* shush!!"
I didn't know Iowa had a hill.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #390
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Har Har. You are thinking of Nebraska.