The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #136
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Stunningly, I didn't lose power. The lights flickered three times, but that was it. Usually, my power goes out if a cloud looks in my neighborhood's direction.

There must not be any more trees left between me and the substation.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #137
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Electricity flickered once, here. Our new construction fucking leaked. A couple of substantial sized limbs (think upper arm diameter) fell, but were considerate enough to not fall on anything. Lots of interesting wind. I'm going out for a drive soon, to look at the local creeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
I've been saying for years that we need a massive national energy infrastructure security investment. Think of the stimulative effects on the economy! Think of the health and safety improvements! think of the quality-of-life effects!
We live in a really very stormy nation. Why the fuck isn't it just OBVIOUS to put a lot of money into helping mitigate the common effects of that?
This is one of my hot points. We are a reactive nation. We'd rather pay over and over for repairs and losses due to outages than to proactively fix something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I did lose an old, dead tree but the tree didn't completely fall. It's held up at a 60-degree angle by another tree. Now I wonder whether I should just leave it to the new owners. Maybe they will like it like that.
Leave it. It adds character to the place.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #138
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
All in all, Sandy was a wimp at our house. Which is just fine by me. Friends half a mile away got a tree on their house and car. Big tree, got the house next to theirs too.
Is your friend in Falls Church? CNN interviewed a guy there who had a tree fall on his family's house.

No flooding, power outages, building collapses, etc. in my part of town...and all the crap that my neighbors left on their roof next to my windows stayed put. *whew*
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #139
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

The Weather Channel provides 200+ pictures. Most damage is trivial. The usual and expected flooding on barrier islands. Cars flooded (ie in NYC's financial district) because owners foolishly ignored warnings and stayed. Wildwood homes with the usual flooding because they were not built on stilts are that environment requires. Ironically, one homeowner had an air conditioner (picture 57?), properly protected, on stilts.

Worst was a 100 home fire in Breezy Point Queens NY. Probably because some homeowner foolishly did not turn off electricity and gas before leaving. Learn from other's mistakes.

Locations with flooding have serious planning to implement. For example, PATH has been doing planning for flooding that will take 20 years. A picture of their Hoboken Station shows how much work must still be done.

In PA (Cellar region), most remain with electricity despite so many overhead wires threatened by trees. Weather Channel pictures demonstrate how minor this storm really was. Notice damage, while even electric and phone lines remain intact. Because this storm was only a serious storm. And not the disaster hyped by the local gossip TV stations (no TV for two days while local gossip hunts so hard for to report isolated damage). All useful news on this storm could have been reported by a 5 minute report once every hour. But, no. They stopped all TV broadcasting like it was 11 September. Even the network news (far more important information) was not broadcast. View the pictures. Even overhead power lines remain intact.

Learn from other's mistakes. If water is half way up your tires, then you are at serious risk or possible death. Notice how many (and how many 'the world is going to end' news reporters) do not know that. Learn from their mistakes.

If suffering from flooding, then you have a problem that must be solved. Anyone who had flooding should expect future flooding. Fix the house. Move the car. Rebuild or redecorate accordingly.

How out of touch are some? HMS Bounty left port on Thursday headed directly into what everyone knew was coming. The Captain said it was safer to be as sea rather than in port. He foolishly claimed he was going around the hurricane - using sail power. He and one crewman died because he did not use simple intelligence. And that was only a Category one hurricane. Intelligence - not the storm - was the problem. Meanwhile, in London, planes remain grounded because others used brain power to avert problems from a simple serious storm.

Notice that NYC even had plans to cover subway grates. Essential to protect the entire subway system and adjacent buildings.

Had Irene (last year) remained over water, then it would have been a more serious storm. Had Irene struck NYC as threatened, then NYC would have had serious problems. Notice NYC doing things that could only happened with advanced planning.

Among serious storms, Sandy was trivial. Even its wind was not that serious as demonstrated by so many intact utility wires. As demonstrated by maps during landfall in Here they Come Again! A lesson that everyone should learn from. If your house had damage, then you know how much work need be done to prepare for serious storms. Storms that are expected to become more common.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #140
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

My cow orkers boat got washed into someones back yard. He's beside himself.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #141
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
My cow orkers boat got washed into someones back yard. He's beside himself.
And his boat stands beside his neighbor. Even his boat abandoned him.

I hope he did not consider his boat his best friend.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #142
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Survived. Power is on at the rehab, still none at home yet.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #143
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sandy's Power Was Deceptive

From NASA...
Quote:
At 2:20 EDT on Sunday October 28, Hurricane Sandy was a marginal category 1 hurricane and its eyewall was modest, as TRMM reveals, which gives us hints about its possible future strength.
~snip~
But placed in context, the TRMM-observed properties of Hurricane Sandy’s eyewall are evidence of remarkable vigor. Most hurricanes
only have well-formed and compact eyewalls at category 3 strength or higher. Sandy was not only barely a category 1 hurricane, but Sandy was also experiencing strong wind shear, Sandy was going over ocean typically too cold to form hurricanes, and Sandy had been limping along as a marginal hurricane for several days.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #144
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

wb wolf
Old 10-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #145
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Hiya Sam, I was just about to put out an APB on you. How's life?
My life is complicated. But when compared to the folks in Sandy's path, I'm doing pretty damn good. I've been avoiding the Internet and cable news because I get so enraged over what I've read and heard re the election. However, I'll probably post a big old rant down in the politics forum since my patience has frayed down to the vanishing point. So be forewarned, Hurricane Sam is gathering strength over in western Colorado!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #146
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
My life is complicated. But when compared to the folks in Sandy's path, I'm doing pretty damn good. I've been avoiding the Internet and cable news because I get so enraged over what I've read and heard re the election. However, I'll probably post a big old rant down in the politics forum since my patience has frayed down to the vanishing point. So be forewarned, Hurricane Sam is gathering strength over in western Colorado!
:applause:

I LIKE Hurricane Sam!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #147
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

You know, I think Big W00dy might have been the closest Dwellar to the bad stuff.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #148
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

All right!

Anyone hit hard by Sandy?

I want damage reports! And pictures!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #149
glatt

A small branch fell from the neighbors' tree into the end of our driveway, and my feet got a little tangled in it when I got the newspaper in the dark yesterday morning. When I went out a couple hours later and planned to pick it up, it was missing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #150
tw

On Tuesday morning (day after Sandy), reporters got onto Avalon. A barrier island town located where Sandy's eye hit. A picture of the fallen street light says what really happened. Behind that picture are 1) intact telephone and electric wires, 2) no damage to any home, and 3) no debris or sand in the streets. This is what most towns suffered despite non-stop news (no other television) for two day warning of the end of the earth. The actual reporting could have been 5 minute bulletins every hour.
Attached Images