The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #376
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Yeah. It's good we have a middle-class, middle aged white man to make sure the rest of society can take jokes at their expense.
Yeah. It is.

People get "offended" by ridiculous things. As Stephen Fry says, it has no purpose, it's just a whine. "'I am offended by that', well so fucking what?" Haha, that man is a legend too.

There's a difference between simply making a joke and actually being derogatory or inciting hatred.
I'm not saying Clarkson never crosses a line, sometimes he does, but for the most part he really doesn't. I think we need people like him so that we can have a discussion about where the line is between what it's okay to say and what isn't.
__________________
"Never trust quotes you find on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blueflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #377
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,400
Yes, people get offended by ridiculous things. But they also get offended by stuff that isn't ridiculous. Tell you the stuff that does offend me, is the anti-poor rhetoric. But that isn't specific to Clarkson, it's a pervasive thing at the moment. I am generally offended by the idea that people in a position of social power feel comfortable in making other people with much less social power the butts of their jokes. It's not really specifically racist, or bigotted humour that worries me, it's the general tone of the stronger in society mocking the weaker and then expecting the weaker to suck it up and have a sense of humour about these things. It's comedy from an unkind place. I don't like it. It makes me feel uncomfortable, because it feels wrong. At a gut level. Not offensive, but just wrong.

I personally am rarely offended by Clarkson. And I think the outcry that regularly goes up when he, as you say, crosses a line is fucking ridiculous. Why? because he's Jeremy fucking Clarkson, that's why. We all know what and who he is. The people who employ him know what and who he is, that's why they employ him. And in fairness to him, the lines he crosses are a damn sight less objectionable than some of what was considered mainstream acceptable a few years ago.
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #378
Sundae
polaroid of perfection
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 24,185
What makes me scoff is those who are offended by other people being offended.
Political correctness gone mad!!!!! And yes, those exclamation points are justified. Because that's how they think.

Stop being offended being other people's sensibilities, then.
And as an added extra, go watch a few episodes of On the Buses or Love Thy Neighbour. And imagine your daughter or friend being treated like that because of their gender/ race.

During our Queen's reign, America has progressed from a legal citizen with black skin not being allowed to choose where she sat on a bus, to a mixed race man in the Whitehouse. The world doesn't change because people accept bigotry. It changes because people notice it, decide it's wrong, and point it out to other people.
__________________
Life's hard you know, so strike a pose on a Cadillac
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #379
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 62,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Says the middle-class, middle aged white man :P
Middle class? Bwahahahahahahahahahaha
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #380
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,400
Ahh, I'm forgetting. Middle class means something different over there. Here it means fairly affluent.
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #381
Ibby
. . .
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: "the high up north"
Posts: 6,029
EDIT: whoops misread what was being quoted, sorry, thought we were still talking clarkson.
__________________
not really back, you didn't see me, i was never here shhhhhh

Last edited by Ibby; 06-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #382
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23,400
Middle aged? Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

He's WAY OLDER!
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #383
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,002
Your forgot Middle of the Road. He's really that!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #384
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23,400
you wish he was in the middle of the road.
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #385
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,002
You're on a roll today, C-man!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #386
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 21,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ahh, I'm forgetting. Middle class means something different over there. Here it means fairly affluent.
Don't worry.... it means the same thing here. If you make less than whatever you think "Middle Class" makes, because so far no one can define "Wealth" or "Rich".
__________________
Anyone but the this most fuked up President in History in 2012!
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #387
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,400
Middle class also means a cultural designation as well.

I am economically working class, but culturally I straddle working and middle class.


People may not be able to categorically define 'wealth' or 'rich'. But there are some fairly simple measures to define 'deprivation' and 'poor'.
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #388
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,654
Semantics.


I am poor. But I describe myself as "living in genteel poverty"
and suddenly I'm Jane Austen.
__________________
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie


Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #389
BigV
Goon Squad Leader
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 24,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Don't worry.... it means the same thing here. If you make less than whatever you think "Middle Class" makes, because so far no one can define "Wealth" or "Rich".
You have a wealth of ignorance.

You are poor in spirit.

You have an abundance of meanness (I never thought I could write a paradox that wasn't a paradox, until now).

Your money is just a number in a computer, and it can't buy you love.
__________________
Also a very stable genius.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #390
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 21,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
You have a wealth of ignorance.

You are poor in spirit.

You have an abundance of meanness (I never thought I could write a paradox that wasn't a paradox, until now).

Your money is just a number in a computer, and it can't buy you love.
Bla, bla, bla, and you are an idiot......

You don't get to judge me.

You know little about me and my life.

You are a judgmental narcissist who knows nothing about me but does have a superiority complex.

You have failed again, just as you did in your marriage. I beat you on that one alone.... Your failure in that "love" relationship proves you are a complete failure in the "love" department....
__________________
Anyone but the this most fuked up President in History in 2012!
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.