The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #421
Griff
still says videotape

*sigh*
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #422
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

This from the guy who votes a straight ticket. *sigh*
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #423
Griff
still says videotape

Yep I did that one time, to shift power away from Trumpists.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #424
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

You might as well face it, you're addicted to th dem.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #425
Griff
still says videotape

Let's hope the GOP sorts itself out before the Dems start thinking they are all that.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #426
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"wacko extremists here mock honest Americans (moderates) with their humor"

No, more like 'sane individuals here mockin' insane cogs with class and style'.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #427
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
My family moved to Thousand Oaks in 1969. I attended grade school and middle school in T.O., and went to high school in neighboring Newbury Park (where the killer lived).
He had no reason.

Quote:
The first call to law enforcement came in at 11:19 p.m. Wednesday, officials said. The authorities arrived at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California, three minutes later. They entered the building at 11:25 p.m.

Long, 28, first posted on Instagram at 11:24 p.m: "It's too bad I won't get to see all the illogical and pathetic reasons people will put in my mouth as to why I did it," the military veteran said in the post. "Fact is I had no reason to do it, and I just thought....(exploitive), life is boring so why not?" Long posted, according to ABC News and Buzzfeed.

Three minutes later Long posted, "I hope people call me insane (two smiley face emojiis) would that just be a big ball of irony? Yeah... I'm insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is 'hopes and prayers'...or 'keep you in my thoughts'."
He added, "Every time...and wonder why these keep happening... --(two smiley face emojis)."

Long ended the killing spree by taking his own life.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #428
Griff
still says videotape

So fucked up
Old 11-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #429
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

He had a reason: nihilism. A sense of meaningless of life. You will find it in all the killers that are not mentally disturbed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #430
glatt

Yep.

The first leg of the three legged stool of mass killers and terrorists, according to the article I linked in post 377 above.

Quote:
For radicalization to occur, there are three necessary ingredients, according to Kruglanski's research. The first is the universal need to live a worthwhile life — to have significance. People usually satisfy this need through socially accepted means, "like working hard, having families, other kinds of achievements," Kruglanski said. Radicals instead tend to place significance on their gender, religion or race.

The second is "the narrative," which gives someone permission to use violence. Kruglanski said the narrative is usually that there is an enemy attacking your group, and the radical must fight to gain or maintain respect, honor or glory.

The third necessary component is the community, or the network of people who validate the narrative and the violence.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #431
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
This from the guy who votes a straight ticket.
Due to people who only post insults, lies, and demeaning attacks, I also did this for the first time. Because the Republican party is now dominated by people who use extremist emotion to make conclusions.

When discussing adults who are still children, then those 'child like' reply with personal attacks. And nothing that is useful or adult.

Similar people also need assault rifles to massacres others. Then use their unstable thinking to justify more assault weapons.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #432
tw

Quote:
The second is "the narrative," which gives someone permission to use violence. Kruglanski said the narrative is usually that there is an enemy attacking your group, and the radical must fight to gain or maintain respect, honor or glory.

The third necessary component is the community, or the network of people who validate the narrative and the violence.
Both are provided by right wing talk show radios. It plays constantly in rural radio stations. I have watched some change once they discovered and then became emotionally inspired by the hate they heard on extremist talk radio.

One was living with (and being supported by) an immigrant. She noted how he changed once he started listening to the Drudge Report. He would routinely blame his unemployment on immigrants. He claimed to be a network engineer. But could not answer basic concepts in Cisco equipment.

Then, when he drank, he became quite belligerent.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #433
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In mass shooters, not necessarily radicals, these people seem to have a specific take on step 1, and no step 3 at all.

They want significance, but rather than to prove worth, they want to prove worthlessness. So they seek to destroy meaningful lives ("See," they are saying, "Now you're dead, and all the things you thought were worthwhile are gone.") And they usually expect or plan their own death in the process ("If life has worth, I would definitely stick around - but in order to be taken seriously I must show that the worthlessness extends to myself.")
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #434
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
They want significance, but rather than to prove worth, they want to prove worthlessness. So they seek to destroy meaningful lives ("See," they are saying, "Now you're dead, and all the things you thought were worthwhile are gone.")
The one would-be mass shooter I've talked to justified it as giving them significance, that they would be more accomplished and revered as victims than anything they could manage on their own.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #435
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
In mass shooters, ... seem to have a specific take on step 1, and no step 3 at all.
I don't see facts that justify the "not step 3". What justifies that conclusion?

One may become a martyr to be relevant. Martyrs don't need to stick around for confirmation. They already know they will be praised (by their peers or by their god).