The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you keep or return the cash?
Return it, always 15 57.69%
Keep it, always 2 7.69%
Depends on the amount -return large, keep small 0 0%
Depends on the amount -Keep large, return small 0 0%
Depends on my mood and/or who will lose out 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Do you keep it?

If you find you are given too much change or find some money on the ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg
I'm the guy who, if he gets too much change or finds money, goes out of his way to return it.
Funny, I thought most people did. Or maybe that's just what I'd like to think. Anonymous poll. Am I right? Or naïve?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Mostly return it - sometimes I find that I was given too much change long after the fact. I'm not gonna get in the car and drive back just for a few dollars or change.

I'll take the always option - since thats the closest.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

My rationale is to try to avoid the sin of "hypocrisy".

If it is OK for me to complain when/if I get short-changed by a cashier,
I have to return the extra change if the mistake goes the other way.

At least that's what we've told our kids and our G-kids...
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

I can't even remember the last time I got the wrong change back, either too much or not enough. I guess between using mostly debit card, and not often counting when using cash... actually I mostly just use cash at the honor system veggie stand. No change there at all.

Finding money on the ground is a pretty rare too, and I guess its either obvious where it came from, or it's mine.

Last thing I found on the ground was a cell phone, on a trail in french creek. Redialed the last number, asked them who's phone it was (their dad's) and to have them call my cell. Made arrangements to meet the next day since I was going to be in his area and gave it back. Dude tried to give me $5. As if that's all my karma is worth.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Since the register tells them exactly what to give me, it's usually right. It's right so often, while I do watch them retrieving it from the drawer, I seldom ever really count it anymore, because it's got to be within a buck.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Lamplighter

Hey Jinx, I've got a similar story that I believe is true.

Fishermen and hunters are always losing things.
I visit another forum that has a thread for Lost and Found.
One hunter posted that he lost his expensive hunting bow by leaning it against his car, and then driving off,
and it was gone when he returned to the spot.
People on the forum grumbled about the lack of honesty of anyone who would "steal" someone' bow like that.

A week or so later another fellow posted that a neighbor of his had put a sign in his front yard about finding a hunting bow.
One thing lead to another and the hunter got his bow back, and gave the neighbor a reward.

Long odds... but good feelings all around.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

nice feel good story Lamp.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I will go far out of my way to return a lost item if I have any chance of figuring out whose it is. However, while I've never found random money on the street, I imagine it would usually be impossible to know who dropped it. If it were in a closed environment like an office building, I'd let the person at the front desk know that I'd found "some money" and I'd return it to the person who could accurately report how much they'd lost. But again, it's all hypothetical. Have all you people really found random money lying around? Who are all these irresponsible people dropping all their money?

I always use plastic, so I never get handed incorrect change. But I've had incorrect deposits into my bank account before, and I reported those (though I did also figure they'd eventually notice anyway.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:07 AM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I return it. Had to wait to give back a five dollar over-change last week.

In Japan I found 2,000 yen on the floor in a subway station. Don't get excited, that's about $20. I handed it in via the station attendant, got it back 3 months later from the cops. The experience made it worthwhile, but it was more hassle than $20 was worth. Next time, I'd just leave it for someone who could read the paperwork.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Tick
Do-er of Deeds

Back in the 70's I went to my bank with a pocket full of $100 bills and asked for a $3000 cashier's check. The cashier was new and very nervous. Her manager came over, calmed her down, and talked her through it. It took a few minutes but everything went fine. She gave me the check and they both wished me a good day.

Since I kept standing there, they asked me if there was anything else. I held up the check and asked if they wanted payment for it. They had been so wrapped up in the process of making the check that they had forgotten to ask for my money. The manager thanked me with mixed relief and horror and accepted the money.

Was I tempted? You bet. I just figured that if I walked I'd come out on the stinky end of the stick, one way or another.

Tick
Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

I found $120. on the A train about 20 years ago. It was in an envelope with no name on it. I felt pretty certain that its rightful owner would never get it back if I turned it in to a station master. (NYC mid 80s?)

In the grocery store I usually tip off the cashier if they give me too much change. I don't if it seems like it will become an "event" involving a manager or another cashier. Especially if I am in a hurry.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I found a credit card at a gas station once, looked up the name, called and spoke to him... then dropped it off at his office as it was nearby.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
I found $120. on the A train about 20 years ago. It was in an envelope with no name on it. I felt pretty certain that its rightful owner would never get it back if I turned it in to a station master. (NYC mid 80s?)

In the grocery store I usually tip off the cashier if they give me too much change. I don't if it seems like it will become an "event" involving a manager or another cashier. Especially if I am in a hurry.
I hope you are tipping the full amount of the overage...
Some businesses have the cashier make up any shortages in their till.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

I don't usually tip at grocery stores and places like Target. Last I heard it was illegal for businesses to make employees pay for shortages.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Lamplighter

SN, I really hope you are right about it being illegal now.

I'm remembering the retail workplace from the 60's and 70's, when clerks had direct responsibilities for their cash drawers.
For example, clerks had to "count back" the change out loud so both they and the customer knew it was correct.

Now of course, clerks only read the total off the POS computer and hand the customer a fist full of change, and so neither knows if it's right or not. This is where I find the mistakes being made.