The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #3571
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Keep On Truckin'

Quote:
Driving a long-haul tractor-trailer is as commonplace as the items that drivers carry, from blue jeans to blueberries, from toilet paper for Walmart to farm machinery bound for export. There are 1.7 million men and women working as long-haul drivers in the country. Yet truckers — high up in their cabs — are literally out of view for most Americans.

At a moment when President Trump has ignited a national discussion of blue-collar labor and even climbed into a truck during a White House event, trucking, which was once among the best-paying such jobs, has become low-wage, grinding, unhealthy work. Turnover at large for-hire fleets hauling freight by the truckload — the backbone of the industry — runs an astonishing 80 percent a year, according to a trade group. Looming over the horizon is a future in which self-driving trucks threaten to eliminate many drivers’ livelihoods.
Good read
Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #3572
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

30 Facts About The Sit-com Cheers You Might Not Have Known

Examples:

The part of Frasier Crane was written for John Lithgow.

John Ratzenberger, who played bar know-it-all Cliff Clavin, improvised/ad libbed many of Cliff's little known "facts".

Norm Peterson's first name was Hillary.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #3573
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

An interesting take on business becoming more diverse in staff by sticking to business.
Quote:
If you want to build an inclusive culture, build a minimum culture. Build it around professionalism, boundaries, and work-life balance. Make sure your senior staff walks the walk, and spreads the word.
https://hackernoon.com/for-inclusive...e-87b663662cea
Old 06-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #3574
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

very good article, thank you xoB.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #3575
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Open Railway Map

If you always wanted to know where those tracks went, now you can easily see.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #3576
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

12 alcohol brands you didn't know were backed by celebrities

^^^Yahoo slide-show-type-thing, so, good luck.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:17 AM   #3577
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

MAUDE - Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience

The official site of the FDA to keep track of complaints and comments by medical pros about medical devices for the last 10 years.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #3578
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

How Gullible Are You?

Old 06-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #3579
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Pretty fucking gullible. I fell for that, like I was stoned.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #3580
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  BentRod.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  74.4 KB

Old 07-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #3581
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Isn't it heartwarming to know if you die suddenly your pet won't starve?

Quote:
In 1997, a forensic examiner in Berlin reported one of his more unusual cases in the journal Forensic Science International. A 31-year-old man had retired for the evening to the converted garden shed behind his mother’s house, where he lived with his German shepherd. Around 8:15 p.m., neighbors heard a gunshot from the direction of the shed.

Forty-five minutes later, the man’s mother and neighbors found him dead of a gunshot wound to the mouth, a Walther pistol under his hands and a farewell note on a table. Most of his face and neck were gone—and there were tooth marks around the edges of the wounds. A half-full bowl of dog food sat on the floor.

The German shepherd was calm and responded to police commands. On the way to an animal sanctuary, the dog vomited some of its owner’s tissue, including skin with still-recognizable beard hair.
You snickering cat people think you're in the clear? You ain't.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #3582
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This woman nailed it...

Quote:
Like many Americans, I’m having politics fatigue. Or, to be more specific, arguing-about-politics fatigue.

I haven’t run out of salient points or evidence for my political perspective, but there is a particular stumbling block I keep running into when trying to reach across the proverbial aisle and have those “difficult conversations” so smugly suggested by think piece after think piece:

I don’t know how to explain to someone why they should care about other people.
Quote:
can’t debate someone into caring about what happens to their fellow human beings. The fact that such detached cruelty is so normalized in a certain party’s political discourse is at once infuriating and terrifying.

The “I’ve got mine, so screw you,” attitude has been oozing from the American right wing for decades, but this gleeful exuberance in pushing legislation that will immediately hurt the most vulnerable among us is chilling.

Perhaps it was always like this. I’m (relatively) young, so maybe I’m just waking up to this unimaginable callousness. Maybe the emergence of social media has just made this heinous tendency more visible; seeing hundreds of accounts spring to the defense of policies that will almost certainly make their lives more difficult is incredible to behold.

I don’t know what’s changed ― or indeed, if anything has ― and I don’t have any easy answers. But I do know I’m done trying to convince these hordes of selfish, cruel people to look beyond themselves.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #3583
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

She strikes me as one of those people who, when talking about the other side, sounds exactly like the other side.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #3584
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Photos That Accidentally Look Like Renaissance Paintings

Old 07-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #3585
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
She strikes me as one of those people who, when talking about the other side, sounds exactly like the other side.

I don't think so, she's saying she can't discuss the issues with the other side because there is no common ground to start from. She and the other side have opposing base values. Like if one side thinks the Mississippi river should be cleaned up and the other side doesn't, they can never agree on why/how/who.
I think thic could have been written by someone on either side by changing details.