Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

The People: 'WE!'

Quirk: No, 'I'.

The People: Many!

Quirk: No, One.

The People: We win!

Quirk: No, you lost, a long time ago, and you don't even know it.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
The People: 'WE!'

Quirk: No, 'I'.

The People: Many!

Quirk: No, One.

The People: We win!

Quirk: No, you lost, a long time ago, and you don't even know it.
Posted at the cellar, which lives on the internet, for us all to read and share. now would be the time to use that other word that isn't hubris.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
henry quirk

Sophist: Posted at the cellar, which lives on the internet, for us all to read and share. now would be the time to use that other word that isn't hubris.

Quirk: Leave it to a (communitarian) sophist to conflate that which is voluntary with that which is enforced.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk
If I end up with Diabetes, that my business, not yours.
And if society could live up to this end of the bargain, your philosophy might be relevant. But as it stands now, right or wrong, if you end up with diabetes it IS my business because I am forced to help pay for it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
henry quirk

"I am forced to help pay for it." = "moo"

'forced'

That's it in a nutshell.

Unnatural linkages are forced on folks (by way of instruments like the Affordable Health Care Act), linkages making one person responsible for another when no such natural responsibility exists.

I certainly get your point, Clod, but it ain't my fault these unnatural linkages exist, and -- believe it or not -- I have no intention of ever honoring those linkages.

For example: as I mention elsewhere, my back is aching...this is a yearly thing with me (clinched muscles)...now, I could go to the doctor and get 'treated' and then foist off the bulk of that cost onto insurance, or, I can do what I do, which is: gently stretch, take Advil, and 'wait'.

In other words: I prefer to attend to my own problems.

If I had diabetes: I would prefer to attend to my own problems and pay my own way.

If the AHCA didn't sit like a fat toad in the road, blocking my way, then I could do just that by way of what I have in my own pocket.

Instead: I am prohibited from paying out of my own pocket. I'm *'forced' to participate in a system I don't want and didn't ask for.

*shrug*

Fundamentally, it comes down to this: you don't have the will to say 'no' to that which is forced upon you...this is unfortunate for you.

I wouldn't worry too much, though...the collar, I'm sure, won't chafe too much.

I, on the other hand, DO have the will to say 'no'.

No collar for me, thanks.

Again: if you were sensible, you'd work to insulate you and yours from the potential consequences of my bad choices.

Being non-sensible, you prefer to sit back, throw your hands up, and absolve yourself with ""I am forced to help pay for it" as the justification for hobbling my capacity to choose.

moo

The path to the abattoir is broad and paved, lined with enchanting flowers and trees, and the most delightful music is in the air.

Walk it proudly, Clod.

Me: I'll stick to the narrow, stony, ill-used, path, the one leading to no paths and destinations of MY choice.

*actually, no I won't be forced...again: I have no indentation of abiding...if the powers that be don't like it, then find me and fine me...but: I'm not payin' the fine...order me to court, I will not appear...come to collect me, well, catch me if you can.

Enough is enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IM: please check your guhmail...

Last edited by henry quirk; 03-23-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Old 05-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #22
henry quirk

If you have me in your backyard, nekkid, on a leash, it's highly unlikely I'm goin back into your house and basement.

If your balls are so brassy as to think you can control me in the wide open, well, let's just say your balls are gonna get chewed on.

Seems to me, in that circumstance, one of us is gonna die, 'cause -- no how, no way -- I ain't goin' back into the basement when 'freedom' is just on the other side of the fence.

'nuff said.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
henry quirk

'scandals'

Benghazi: the investigatory emphasis seems, to me, way off the mark.

What's of interest to me: are the four deaths '*negligent homicides'?

If so: prosecute.

The 'cover up' is only of interest as it may implicate others as accessories after the fact.

-----

IRS: The IRS is a function of the Treasury Department which is a function of the Executive Branch...do the math...the whole affair brings new light and meaning to 'the buck stops here'.

-----

Associated Press: there should be a natural tension between the reporter and the powers that be...this event is an example of that tension.

-----

Of the three 'scandals' only the Benghazi affair interests me, and only because of the possibility four folks died because of inaction and poor planning by elected or appointed officials.

*a criminal charge brought against people who, through criminal negligence, allow others to die

criminal negligence: an act that is careless, inattentive, neglectful, willfully blind, or -- in the case of gross negligence -- what would have been reckless in any other defendant

Last edited by henry quirk; 05-15-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
glatt

Benghazi is a black eye, but the Republicans are milking it for all it's worth for purely political reasons. It's Monday morning quarterbacking. It's obvious now that things went wrong, but I don't think it was obvious then. As tw points out, we still don't completely understand what happened. But I think we should try to learn what happened there so it doesn't happen again. We shouldn't pick at it for political gain.

IRS: I don't have a problem with the IRS scrutinizing organizations that are trying to get out of paying taxes. Good for them. The only reason it's mostly a bunch of conservative groups is because that's the time period that a bunch of conservatives were forming new tax exempt organizations. Some of the information requests seem a little extreme, but that's what the IRS does. They ask for documentation. This is another politically driven non-story.

The API/CIA leak story is disturbing. I don't like how closed the Obama administration is. I'd like some more transparency. His administration has tried to go after more leaks than previous ones. I don't support that and am disappointed in him.

The military sex scandals aren't a reflection on the Obama administration. It's the military. Obama has been working hard to dismantle that old boys club, but it takes some time to change the culture.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #25
henry quirk

"the Republicans are milking it for all it's worth"

Agreed. That's why the investigatory emphasis is placed wrong.

Dems aren't helping by downplaying potential inaction or poor planning.

#

"This is another politically driven non-story.'

Agreed. What's unfortunate: at the same time the IRS was grilling rightist groups, it was rubberstamping leftist groups.

#

"I'd like some more transparency."

It's the nature of 'power' that it makes those who hold it zealous in safeguarding that 'power' (and closeting the means by which the 'power' is held and increased).

'Transparency' is a nice rainbow one can never catch.

#

"military sex scandals"

Woman has gun...man harasses woman...woman shoots man...what problem?

It's not the 'sex' that's the problem; it's the attempt to neuter men and women...unrealistic expectations always lead to spectacularly disappointing results.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #26
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
The military sex scandals aren't a reflection on the Obama administration. It's the military.
Obama has been working hard to dismantle that old boys club,
but it takes some time to change the culture.
Quote:
There also is an ongoing investigation into more than 30 Air Force instructors
for assaults on trainees at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas,
and the recent arrest of the Air Force's head of sexual assault prevention
on charges of groping a woman.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/15...#ixzz2TNKdjbRg
This scandal seems to be particularly stone-embedded in the US Air Force.
Remember even the "tailgate" headlines in the 1990's...
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
glatt

I do remember "tailgate." It was "tailhook" though, and was in the Navy
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
snip--

"This is another politically driven non-story.'

Agreed. What's unfortunate: at the same time the IRS was grilling rightist groups, it was rubberstamping leftist groups.

#
--snip
before my gears are ground smooth on this one, I'd like to give you a chance to offer a supporting citation for such a claim. Please.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #29
henry quirk

"a supporting citation"

I withdraw the statement.

One of the talking heads on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe' made the comment about rubberstamping lefties while grilling righties, this morning.

I can't recall who the head was (it was a he) and I don't have time to research it, so -- again -- I withdraw the statement.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #30
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

ok, thanks.