The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #2716
glatt

Humans of New York.

It's mostly looking at pictures, but there are a few captions here and there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #2717
Griff
still says videotape

That is an enjoyable macebook feed.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #2718
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Trust Me, I'm Lying by professional media manipulator Ryan Holiday.

Yeah yeah, we all know you can't trust everything you read on the internet--this guy proves you can't trust anything, with detailed examples of campaigns he personally ran, online firestorms you will recognize that he manufactured out of nothing, and how bullshit makes the leap from bloggers to "respected" news outlets, while still retaining 100% of its bullshit. Fascinating in a horrifying kind of way. You think you're cynical, but not nearly as much as you will be after this book.

Dana, be warned: the author clearly recorded the audiobook version just sitting in his office, and the room reverb is bad. It's only tolerable if you keep the volume relatively low.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #2719
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

But, how do you know the guy isn't just using more of his techniques, now marketing himself?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #2720
glatt

Is he behind the measles story?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #2721
busterb
NSABFD

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Old 02-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #2722
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
But, how do you know the guy isn't just using more of his techniques, now marketing himself?
isn't that one title "Trust me, I'm lying; the recursive edition"?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #2723
monster
I hear them call the tide

End game

John Gilstrap.

Not my usual fayre -random shelf pic. thoroughly enjoying it.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #2724
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

'Innocence' by Dean Koontz

Typical Koontz.

Also reading a collection of Hemingway's first 49 short stories.

And attempting Benjamin Franklin's autobiography.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #2725
busterb
NSABFD

Rereading Harold Robbins. The Carpetbaggers, 79 Park Avenue, and A stone for Danny Fisher.
The lady at library gave me a book with all 3 novels. I read these back around 40 or 50 years ago. Still a good read.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #2726
monster
I hear them call the tide

reading another Gilstrap. Hostage Zero. also good, but getting samey already. oh well....
Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #2727
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Shadow Ops: Breach Zone by Myke Cole
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #2728
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

So many to catch you up on...
And more to come, as my recent case worker in the nuthouse got my library fines cancelled and I'm allowed to take books out again. In the mean time a guardian angel has been supplying me with the odd book here and there. And when I say here and there I mean on my doormat. Regularly.

Last week I read Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
Both were chosen by me as having a connection with my life. Neither were perfect but both absorbing and crept into my dreams.
Elizabeth is written from the POV of a lady with dementia. Very touching, and a unique "voice". I've gifted it to Mum. Ostensibly a detective story, it is more about the past and how it bleeds into the future, especially in the mind of people who can't hold onto new memories.

The Girl is written from the POV of an alcoholic woman. As with the above, it is something that the plot revolves around, but it still has it's own engaging narrative outside of that. Ostensibly a crime story it is more about how you surrender control when you can no longer control your drinking.

I wouldn't take either of them to a desert island, but I feel I've gained something from reading both.

Better than both, but read at a more galloping pace were two hack books.
Hack in both meanings (journalist and horse riding).
Carruthers kindly sent them to me and I think was slightly alarmed at how quickly I gobbled them up.
They were written by a fellow Bucks resident and horse lover, Dylan Winter, and document his riding adventures. The first (which I read second) was along the Wales/ England border. It was a perfect match for me, being a closet Welsh lover. In fact I'd been boring poor Carr on the subject of Caer Idris when he sent it to me. It's replete with wonderful anecdotes and even made me think about liking horses, which Carr does naturally.

The second came about in a similar way, in that we'd been talking about the American North West. Y'all know how I love to travel-dream. Dylan Winter lived the dream, riding two horses along the Oregon Trail - barring illness, cast shoes, spilt hooves and accidents. He's not Bill Bryson, because only Bill Bryson is, but he doesn't try to be and writes in a casual laid back honest way. And he loves the Merkins, which speaks in his favour. It was almost as good as being there, except it only lasted two nights because it was too good to put down. And I didn't get saddle sores, but then I didn't get the yummy food either.

Oh the books were A Hack in the Borders and A Hack Goes West respectively.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #2729
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Closure" by Randall Wood

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:06 AM   #2730
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

The end of that book leaves you hanging.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books