The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

It's typical Car Sales 101, their managers probably sack them if they don't do it ... you can just answer the email and sweetly tell him to go right ahead and show the car to that 'other customer' ... and go and buy from someone else. But they're all liars, so ... you pays your money and takes your choice.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

But couldn't they at least put a little effort into it? ah well....
Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Yeah, be creative when you lie to me. Is that too much to ask?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

Back a few, I was looking at a Mercury that kind of appealed to me (although I didn't really need another car). I'm in the guy's office, along comes another sales guy with "another customer" who wants to test drive the Merc "if this guy isn't buying it". My guy says "You want it or not?" I toss the other "customer" the keys, tell him it's a real nice car and leave. I'll just add that I was there early and from where I was sitting, there were no other customers in the place.
Salesguy called me for a week, until I told him I had bought a new Saab instead.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
Beest
Adapt and Survive

When I was shopping for hatchbacks the first guy I spoke to, at a local Ford dealer, strigjht out lied to me about the availability of manual hatchbacks, went in his office to check the database, one manual hatcback in all of Michigan, across the state, might already be sold.

Any other dealer I went to, within 20 miles of this guy, had at least 2 or 3 sitting on the lot.

Maybe it's an old school thing, they don't know I can check the inventoryof dealers myself from their own websites, maybe a lot of customers don't know this and the trick still works.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
monster

how funny, I was going to post that clip too -but i wanted it dubbed to "Cellar says bullshit"
Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Monster,

The other Chrysler dealers are this guy's competitors. they do not black list customers. go to the dealer that shows the van you want in inventory. use the pricing beest gets as a MAXIMUM price. offer something lower than that. next week is a good week to buy.

pay no more than 2.75% for a 5 year loan with your good credit. analyze rebate vs special APR option, too. I can offer some help with that if you like.

Looks like they have $2000 rebate plus $1250 Ally/Chase bonus.... whatever that is... and some kind of trade in assistance thing. maybe call 2 different dealers and ask for the details on those offers.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #23
monster

Thanks Jim
Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

no prob, and good luck! car shopping should NOT suck.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
monster

all shopping sucks
Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Jim, when I have a down payment saved and an offer from my credit union, will you advise me on trading in my Avalanche on a new one?

Yes, I know you don't work for Chevrolet, but I am assuming that the process is similar everywhere.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #27
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Of course. Its in my contract
Old 08-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #28
Rhianne
Nearly done.

You wouldn't buy a $40 camera without shopping around, why spend thousands without doing so? In these internet days I even shop around before buying a CD.

I go out, look at cars, decide what I want then go visit as many dealers as is practical and decide upon the best deal no matter which salesman has the prettiest smile. Some places I'll never go back to.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #29
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

See, I disagree with that. Ill pay more if the service is excellent. If the sales person has the balls to ask you to pay $1-200 more because he plans on remembering who you are the next day, and the dealer its closer....

But only to a point.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #30
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
You wouldn't buy a $40 camera without shopping around, why spend thousands without doing so? In these internet days I even shop around before buying a CD.

I go out, look at cars, decide what I want then go visit as many dealers as is practical and decide upon the best deal no matter which salesman has the prettiest smile. Some places I'll never go back to.
Who said they weren't shopping around? Not me for sure. Also, you're in the UK. No offence, but you have no idea. And that was kind of a patronizing post.