The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Swords into Plowshares

I mentioned that I attended an event this past weekend at a converted missile silo West of Topeka. Thought I'd share some pics of the place. It is truly a New Age, ex-hippie haven.

Pic 1: The crenelated tower is built over one of the emergency escape hatches. It provides a great view over the nearly 30 acre site, as well as keeping out the rain that had flooded the facility when Ed and Diana Peden bought it in the late 80's.

Pic 2: The main entrance, a passive solar construction with hot tub and copious room for plants, belies the vast 20,000 square feet built beneath.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

What's that stuff on the roof?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
Elspode

Pic 1: My lovely companion Joyce strikes a pose on the stage, which was redecorated by the "While You Were Out" program folks from TLC.

Pic 2: This is where we slept. It, too, was courtesy of the TLC people. The tapestry at the headwall of the bed has an air mattress beneath it to form a very cushy headboard.

(I apologize for the lack of focus on some of these pics. Cheap digital cameras do not focus well in low light)
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Elspode

Pic 1: The spiral staircase at left center is how you get down into the facility from the entrance building. Stage is to the right, living room, sitting room, library, two three bedrooms, upstairs master bath and upstairs "family" kitchen are behind the wall to the left.

Pic 2: This shot shows the about 1/3 of the area surrounding the stage on three sides.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
What's that stuff on the roof?
Camouflage netting. I think its there as a kind of joke, although it does moderate the light that gets inside the "greenhouse".
Old 11-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
Cloud

wow. groovy! I especially like the drum circle area.

That stuff on the roof looks like camouflage netting to me.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Neat place! Copious room for plants, you say?
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Elspode

Pic 1: Sitting room

Pic 2: Living room/media center
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Elspode

Pic 1: Lovely ladies preparing quiche at 8:30 in the AM after a *very* late night all around. This is the "family" kitchen. I don't have a picture of the other, which is set up as a commercial kitchen to service the many functions and events they hold at Subterra Castle.

Pic 2: Breakfast conversation was animated, constant and largely concerned with conspiracy theories regarding the suppression of hallucinogenics by the government, the coming quantum evolutionary leap represented by 2012 and the end of the Mayan calendar, and being mugged by a young male dolphin who took issue with Buddy having apparently accidentally sexually stimulated a female dolphin. Ed and Diana, the master and mistress of Subterra, are at the far end of the table.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
Cloud

if it's swords into plowshares . . . what are they growing?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
Neat place! Copious room for plants, you say?
Tomato plants, right?

20,000 ft? That's the total living area or greenhouse and living area?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
Elspode

Pic 1: The flame channel for the Atlas E missile which lived in the missile bay which is separated by a long tunnel from the developed living space. The door weighs 42 tons, and can be opened with a hand crank, although it took Ed over 20 years to finally get around to making it work. Atop the berm which houses the missile room are two much larger double doors which slide apart, allowing the missile to be elevated (it was stored flat - this was a first generation silo, and was not a vertical tube like later Minuteman facilities).

Pic 2: The door to the tunnel which leads to the missile room/fuel room, two enormous and still largely empty spaces. Note the Omega on the door. Nice commentary, huh?
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
Elspode

Pic 1: The launch console. Hard to believe the fate of humanity hinged on a ratty ass looking box like that, huh?

Pic 2: The Pedens have an entire long hallway hung with framed examples of the press their home and lifestyle have received.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Is that the user manual that came with the place?
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #15
Elspode

They also have pics of their home when it was under construction...
Attached Images