The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 01-15-2002, 12:13 AM   #16
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
Could someone tell me how this community has existed for a whole friggin' year without a Forum on Sports ... and some of you guys are from Philly?
Truth be told, I don't know of a lot of sports fans on here...maybe a handful to a dozen that I've seen. Hence why I usually throw sports stuff in Sycamoreland.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:14 AM   #17
Nic Name
retired

Jag, open chat is a good concept for what we're talkin' about.

IM works too, one on one, or in an invited group. Folks in the Cellar want to have their conversations, even with one another, in front of the whole gang. Looking for support. appreciation. acknowledgement.

Here in the Cellar, open chat would be like where anyone could drop himself right into the middle of a conversation. Or several conversations might overlap in the thread. Like at a party!

There's a concept. Party Line

The old timers here ... and the guy in Australia ... will understand the concept when telephones weren't private and people in a small community shared a few "party lines" and one never knew who was lurking.

*sticking tongue out at Jag*

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-15-2002 at 12:18 AM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:32 AM   #18
jaguar
whig

Quote:
Could someone tell me how this community has existed for a whole friggin' year without a Forum on Sports ... and some of you guys are from Philly?
Urgh, least it would be contained to one area i could avoid.

Quote:
The old timers here ... and the guy in Australia ... will understand the concept when telephones weren't private and people in a small community shared a few "party lines" and one never knew who was lurking.
Lurk? Me? I think i lurked here for about two days before ranting *laughz, nothings changed since. There have bene i think 3 people from australia (including me) over time, some are still here, some are not, few from other countries, i'd like to see a larger international community myself.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:33 AM   #19
Nic Name
retired

And in the Sports department, we've got that whole Winter Olympics thing coming up in a couple of weeks...

If there isn't a proper place to dicsuss this, IotD will be filled with pics of the events, and every thread will be lost in the clutter of discussion about the day's Olympic Events.

Olympic Spirit, or Winter Olympics could be a thread in Sports. It only lasts a few weeks in February, but it will be intense. And the international audience here will be wanting to weigh in on their country's achievements etc.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:47 AM   #20
dave

Sports shmorts. We really don't have a big sporting community here. And if we added that forum, I'd never have anything to say, so I couldn't have a clean sweep of "last post" on all the forums.

Jag - you're right. Human Resources. Human Relations still sounds kinda funny to me. Maybe it should. I dunno. Anyway...

Oh yeah. This is my 911th post (I'm editing this in now). So yeah. That's what really started my posting flurry on the Cellar. Just paying respects to those that perished. Every time I see a 9 and 2 1's, I think of it. I suspect I'm not alone.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:11 AM   #21
Nic Name
retired

dhamsaic, i'm afraid it's a bit of a non sequitur to suggest that we don't need a Sports forum because we don't have many people in the Cellar interested in sports.

What's cause and what's effect?

Now, if you don't want people who might have any interest in sports in the Cellar at all, then that's a good reason not to have such a forum.

I'm not a jock, either, but I am interested in what's going on in sports ... and wouldn't discount your opinion in, say, Politics if you happened to be a big Phillys or Fliers fan, and happened to have joined the Cellar because you just had to weigh in on the Eric Lindros discussion going on in a Sports forum.

I'm not sure the objective is to have only forums that everyone is interested in. Maybe, if the forums reflected a broader range of interests the discussion in areas that you are interested in would represent a broader spectrum of opinions.

Now it's a matter of opinion whether that's a good objective, or not.

There's certainly every indication that there's interest in Cooking or Eating here in the Cellar.

Personally, I wouldn't read a Sports forum regularly, although I might find that an appropriate place to post something of interest to me in the upcoming Winter Games. And maybe there, I'd learn something from people more interested in sports than myself.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:40 PM   #22
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

Heres my 2 cents:

Open chat? how about an IRC channel (or other medium) for registered users only?

And, no offense, but I dont think we need any new channels. Sports maybe, I think everything else is fine.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:47 PM   #23
jaguar
whig

Quote:
Now, if you don't want people who might have any interest in sports in the Cellar at all, then that's a good reason not to have such a forum.
We personally, i don't want jocks, so buggar off =p
joke.
Mabye a poll? Make cellar a democratic institution.

I still think in-browser chat or second best, an IRC channel would be a fantastic idea. I'm not sure what Ut thinks, after all we are all using his bandwidth and hardware, at his cost, but even an IRC server for members only, make our own channels and stuffif we want to talk.

And just as a general thing, what baout some kind of kitty we could put money in one way or another ot help lighten the financial burden that running this site must be to UT? If only i could get a credit card....
Old 01-15-2002, 04:53 PM   #24
dave

I been pinging him forever about helping out but he tells me to bugger off.

One day though, he'll fold and go "alright! I need a new hard drive!" and we'll all jump to the rescue. It's all good.

Remember - this is a hobby to Tony. Less expensive than a dark room or flying (). He likes paying for it, just like I enjoy paying for my computers. Though I would never complain if someone offered me one at no cost, as sort of a thanks for providing an awesome service... :P
Old 01-15-2002, 06:04 PM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Now waitamin, I don't actually enjoy paying for it!

I'm just too lazy a bastard to go through the whole Paypal setup, really.

I sincerly believe that I'm just out here building up a ton of karma, which will come through any year now. In theory, it already has; I've met a lot of cool people, had a load of awesome discussions, become a much better writer, etc.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 07:27 PM   #26
dave

Well there ya go. It's been worth it, yeah?

Just let me know when to send you some cash and I will.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:58 PM   #27
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

I like the Cities idea. I have to travel once in a rare while for work and wouldn't mind knowing great places to go or fellow Cellarites to possibly meet up with.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:45 PM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On the chat item - I've just investigated chat clients, and all I could find were pretty poor. But there's this one contender that's utterly, utterly simple, that I could just put up real quick.

It's so no-frills, this client, that I hesitate to do it, because... well, I think it functions, but it's just poor.

But I offer this, in case anyone is so dying to chat, that they would love to see it here in a matter of five minutes.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:02 AM   #29
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

I'm just too lazy a bastard to go through the whole Paypal setup, really.
Well they can send it to *my* PalPal...no problem. :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:04 AM   #30
jaguar
whig

UT, if you were feeling creative you could set up an irc server
then have an in-web browser-irc lcient
roundabout as it is, thereby giving both IRC users and just people browsing hte site easy access, just na idea.