The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The Walking Dead

I thought there was a WD thread already, but couldn't find it so must be mistaken...

Anyways. Figured we could use a Walking Dead thread around here. To put ....y'know....dead shit in.

Anybody else watching?

I may have mentioned one or ten times how much I love this show. I'm currently approaching the mid season closer of season 4.

It is currently my favourite programme on tv. Perfect bedtime viewing. This decade's BSG.

I love it so much it's got me into zombie fiction more generally (never my favourite horror trope until WD came along). I'm even downloading Left4Dead on Steam.

One of the things I really like about the current season is what they've done with The Governor. He was, as he probably should have been, a bit of a comic book villain. It was nice to see Morrissey chewing the scenery and being a nasty bastard. In between the smooth charm and whatnot.

I don't think I'd have a liked another season of that though. So, when I heard the Governor would be back I wasn't sure whether that was a good idea or not. And then they throw in such a wonderfully quiet and understated reintroduction to him that was a joy to watch. As fun as he is when he throws everything into the ring, Morrissey is at his finest with the quieter tones.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
JBKlyde
Banned

this is a wd as it gets// I sniped Sodam H with the eyes of Satan and the only way I can make it clear is by saying this... "you worship the back of that one dollar bill I don't"
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Love walking dead.

The episodes featuring the "new" governor frustrated me. I wanted more of the main group.

What I find most interesting with the show is that, IMHO, Glen and Maggie are the only really likable characters. All the rest have serious flaws.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Adak
Lecturer

Loved the mid-season finale! No spoiler in case you haven't seen it yet, but DON'T miss it!

Frankly, just hearing the theme music and seeing the extreme close up of that doorknob and the eyeball, gets my senses right on edge.

Oddly, when I did a bit of research, there actually ARE more heinous attacks being reported around the world involving murder and cannabalism, than ever before.

The episode in FLA was the most graphic. The "zombie" attacked someone along a freeway, and starting biting his face off. Policeman orders him to stop, with his pistol pointed right at him - he doesn't stop! Officer shoots him with his side arm, wounding him - he STILL doesn't stop. He's eating the victim's face! All caught on video and on YouTube.

I'm chalking the higher number of incidents, up to much better reporting, and the internet - but I do wonder if some combination of modern day stresses and some (illegal) drug use, isn't really fueling some of this.

Anyway, great series!
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
DanaC

Come the zombie apocalypse, I'm fucked. I've worked out that my house is undefendable (indefensible?). And my dog will absolutely not be quiet on command...
Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Love walking dead.

The episodes featuring the "new" governor frustrated me. I wanted more of the main group.

What I find most interesting with the show is that, IMHO, Glen and Maggie are the only really likable characters. All the rest have serious flaws.
I was frustrated at an episode without our intrepid gang of survivors. But, I have always loved David Morrisey and I thought his performance in the first of those eps (I haven't seen the second yet) was superb. I found myself actually interested in the Governor again.

Wish they'd all stop with the split seasons though. That shit pretty much killed the last couple of series of Doctor Who for me. I mean, I enjoyed them...but the rhythm of the series was all to whack.

Last edited by DanaC; 12-17-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Come the zombie apocalypse, I'm fucked. I've worked out that my house is undefendable (indefensible?). And my dog will absolutely not be quiet on command...
Our house is also impossible to defend. I've given this a lot of thought. We'll have to take our chances bugging out. We'll go half a block away, sneaking through back yards as much as possible, to the Metrorail electrical substation.
Name:  Zombie.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  165.6 KB

I just have to practice picking locks. At least the access door is hidden from view, so I should have a moment to pick the lock if no zombies see me heading for the shelter.

It's perfect. No windows. Concrete walls. Metal doors.

Name:  Zombie2.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  28.7 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
Adak
Lecturer

AMC is trying to screw the shows first developer, and he's started legal action to recover.

Quote:
AMC‘s The Walking Dead is the biggest show on television but its developer Frank Darabont has yet to receive any money as a profit participant. Today, Darabont and his agency CAA filed a lawsuit (read it here) against AMC, accusing the network in “self dealing” by setting an unrealistically low license fee for the series it also produces and employing questionable accounting practices thus depriving profit participants of compensation. The complaint also alleges Darabont was wrongfully terminated from the show, that he should continue to receive an executive producer credit and is entitled to proceeds from The Walking Dead offshoots Talking Dead and the upcoming spinoff from Robert Kirkman, on whose graphic novel The Walking Dead was based. Darabont and CAA are asking for unspecified “monetary damages” to be determined by a jury trial. The 73-page complaint was accompanied by a summons from the plaintiffs for AMC to reply »

You have a great bug out site, glatt.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'm food. I will fulfill my duty to mankind by giving them sustenance.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
DanaC

I like your thinking, glatt.

And Spex: that's damn decent of you.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
AMC is trying to screw the shows first developer, and he's started legal action to recover.

You have a great bug out site, glatt.
It's horrible when there's bad blood around the creative process.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
You have to have big muscle behind you if you don't want the studios to eat your lunch.

Kinda like every other aspect of life/business on the planet.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Re the zombie apocalypse:
My house in the village would be indefensible but where I am currently living would be easy to avoid/ outmaneuver the zoms.

I think caching a lot of turkey loads all around would be wise. Between the swamp and the relatively open woods and steep ridges that enclose the valley, we could hold out for long time. Zombie deer may pose a problem...
Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Zombie deer? Now there are zombie animals? Does that mean we all have to go vegan?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Robert Kirkman is a Kentucky homeboy, fyi.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote