The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #16
breakingnews
Q_Q

I love Chipotle's rice (white long grain, cilantro, salt). That said, the burritos are not bad - good for a filling, hearty snack.

But I'd still say Moe's and the small Atlanta chain Willy's are better. There is some place called Big House (I think?) in Colo Springs that had a damn good potato burrito.

FYI ... McDonald's sold off its stake in Chipotle after it went public two years ago. The chain started in Denver years ago ... apparently they serve "San Fran-style burritos." What the hell are those?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #17
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Labrat: Roving Reporter and Official Cellar Food Critic, at you service.

Friday looks like the weather is gonna be crap (again), so no running outside. Instead, I will work up a super-duper appetite on the treadmill in the morning, then head to our Chipotle for lunch with a pal and a camera.

Stay tuned muchachos!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Chipotle is cool. I like Qdoba better, for some reason. Both are ubiquitous in these parts.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #19
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yay Labrat!
Don't let anyone tell you it's not normal behaviour either - my parents used to take pictures of food to show me when they'd never even heard of the internet...

I think they're normal anyway

ETA - I've just checked their website and have had to wipe a gallon of drool off my keyboard. Burrito salad bowl for me please - I'm not too keen on rice when it comes down to it. Can you tell me the price? Also I'd like then to clarify of "humanely raised" means free range. I suspect it doesn't, or they'd say that. I'll go veggie if I suspect their chickens are battery raised.

Last edited by Sundae; 04-29-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #20
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

All the entrees are roughly US$6, depending on the meat you choose. Guacamole is the only topping that costs extra.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:22 AM   #21
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

£3

That is me, green with envy, feeling the pain.
No wonder tourists complain about food prices in London.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #22
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

According to a recent study, food prices (grocery store, at least) are 33% lower in Newcastle than in London, and I think most things are outrageous here. At least, I used to. Now I'm sort of used to thinking of the prices in locally relative terms, instead of globally relative terms.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Apparently there is ... one seems to have opened at the mall, but I am unlikely to go there ... a real Mexican restaurant, run by real Mexicans, has opened near the hospital, and we've been ordering from them about once a week.

Which reminds me, I should make a point of getting grub from them for Cinco de Mayo, even though I haven't the vaguest clue of what they're celebrating that day.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #24
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Which reminds me, I should make a point of getting grub from them for Cinco de Mayo, even though I haven't the vaguest clue of what they're celebrating that day.
From wikipedia:

The holiday commemorates an initial victory of Mexican forces led by General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.

From me: I thought it was Independence day, but apparently that happened in september
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
LabRat

Despite a rainy morning, the afternoon was perfect for a walk downtown to lunch. As I type this, the clouds are rolling in and the wind is gearing up for another round of storms, so whomever was responsible, a big 'ole thanks!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #26
LabRat

The outside of our Chipotle, as seen from the direction I came. It is in The Old Capitol Mall. It has a nice covered open air eating section, which is where we chose to sit.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #27
LabRat

As you walk in, there is a very large sign making you feel guilty for eating anywhere else.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #28
LabRat

A view of the ordering area, with close up of the menu. Prices average for lunch in Iowa City. $5.50 for vegetartian, $5.85 for chicken, $6.10 for steak, carnicas (pork), or barbacos (shredded spicy beef). I thought it was a sit-down restaurant, but you order and they make it right there. Your choices are burrito, fajita burrito, bowl (no tortilla), tacos, or salad.
Attached Images

Last edited by LabRat; 05-02-2008 at 01:18 PM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #29
LabRat

Friend #1 ordered chicken burrito, mild tomato salsa. She liked it.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #30
LabRat

Friend #2 ordered steak with tomatillo green chile medium heat salsa. She said the salsa had just the right amount of heat.
Attached Images

Last edited by LabRat; 05-02-2008 at 01:27 PM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote