The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Hope you enjoyed the story. I was there to see it during the week or two that Nous Défions actually flew in garrison (in addition to the remote training site). Between the thread title and my turning 60 in a couple days, I was reminiscing.
I did, made me smile and made me more knowledgeable, thank you.
Oh, and happy birthday... kid.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #17
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sex, I don't get pride about flags, but I do get pride about a hard job done well.
I join Bruce in thanking you for the education.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #18
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon
Between the thread title and my turning 60 in a couple days,
Sexobon age reference noted...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #19
monster
I hear them call the tide

Most important flags to our family right now...

Name:  backstroke-flag-stanchio-18717-495p.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  57.9 KB
Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #20
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
wait, where?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #21
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
wait, where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Attachment 52180

A flag of this design flew in front of my unit headquarters (HQ) right under the American flag for a short period of time. The best translation, interpretation really, I found online is:

The flag was flown by the Special Forces unit given the US counterterrorism mission in the late '70s until another organization dedicated to that purpose, Delta Force, could be formed up and become operational. The flag was being flown by a unit commanded by a Colonel. It drew the ire of the Commanding General (CG) of the 1st Special Operations Command which was the next higher HQ. The CG was hard pressed to tell his subordinate Commander to remove it on a whim. The priority on the Colonel's mission gave him considerable influence with the CG's superiors. Where there's a will; however, there's a way...

So the CG found an Army regulation that says subordinate units may not fly their flags higher than their next higher HQ's. The spirit of the regulation was intended to mean that subordinate units would not fly their flags on taller flagpoles than their next higher HQ as a matter of protocol. The CG used the letter of the regulation to force the Colonel to take down his flags including the American flag; because, the subordinate unit's HQ was uphill [on higher elevation terrain] than the CG's HQ. The difference in elevation was enough that the Colonel would have to had dug a ditch to fly his flags, which would be another violation of regulation.

After Delta Force became operational, the Special Forces counterterrorism element became the model for their Special Operations and Tactics (SOT) course [kinda like civilian SWAT] and the logo is still popular on patches and t-shirts. Hope you enjoyed the story. I was there to see it during the week or two that Nous Défions actually flew in garrison (in addition to the remote training site). Between the thread title and my turning 60 in a couple days, I was reminiscing. [/true story ...]
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight here.........................................................................................................................................................^^^.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #22
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, and Happy Birthday...Pops.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #23
monster

Grav, rly? u have ur facetious sensor turned off! Also, we already know how old he is. -that's why hr's not so careful any more. Game is over.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #24
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Did you solve my little puzzle yet?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #25
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

No.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote