The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I got a question

I was watching a show on PBS about slaughter houses in Chicago. That area anyway. They showed Daisy going in one side of the factory, some gruesome procedures inside then meat out the door.

The question is where do the bones go? Must be a lot of skulls if nothing else. Everyone in Chicago must have 2-3 skulls hanging on the mantles.

Seriously though I thought I would ask here because the other bunch are all about motorcycles. You guys are about any subject even bikes.

I bet the bones are turned into mouthwash.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ground up for fertilizer.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Ground up for fertilizer.
Aka bone meal, I believe.
Dad used to use it in the garden and greenhouse.
I was never allowed anywhere near it as a kid as he believed it harboured all manner of dangers.
I'm surprised that it hasn't been banned by now, what with CJD etc.

ETA It was commonplace to use dried blood as well for horticultural purposes.
Now surely there were dangers in that unless some process rendered it safe.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:19 AM   #4
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Aka bone meal, I believe.
Dad used to use it in the garden and greenhouse.
An outstanding mole deterrent, particularly when combined 2-to-1 with cayenne pepper.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
An outstanding mole deterrent, particularly when combined 2-to-1 with cayenne pepper.
I will have to try that. My Chihuahua is the mole hunter, but she will dig a trench across the yard looking for it. Oh well.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I worked in a gut factory for 3 months during summer break. Supposedly it was shipped to Oscar Meyer. We dealt with hogs. I never saw them slaughtered or wanted to.

All day I would push a big squeegee full of guts towards a big square hole.
On the floor below was a flat bed truck with plywood sides.

It stunk to holy hell, but paid 10 bucks an hour in 1976. I paid my tuition, room and board also had a Suzuki 500 for the year with a 3 month job. I worked pt at Gino's, remember them, because employees ate free.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
Glinda

Moles are the bane of my life. I must have tried every gadget and bait out there. Turns out, there are only two ways to kill a mole - with a properly placed pincer trap (I never got the hang of that) or a shotgun (works really well, but timing is everything).

Short of mole annihilation, the next best thing is a strong deterrent, but the commercially available products are ridiculously expensive. I went online to find recipes so I could mix my own, and the 2-to-1 mix of . . .

Oops, I just realized it wasn't bone meal but blood meal mixed with cayenne. I suppose the two have fairly similar results where moles are concerned.

Anyway, give it a try. Just put a few spoonsful in the dirt mounds and in the raised tunnels, and close the holes back up. The moles hate the smell of the blood meal and the cayenne burns their wee little mouths when they lick it off their fur/feet.

Of course, you do have to reapply it once a month or so, just to keep them gone, but it's a fairly cheap and easy way to keep the little fuckers at bay.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  moles.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  91.3 KB

From here.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:40 AM   #9
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Pumping oxygen and acetylene into mole holes works well. Being serious! I have seen it done and there are lots of Youtube vids.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I think I will just throw a propane bottle and kill those land sharks. Really, I saw it on tv.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
Glinda

Years ago, I found out about a retired guy who killed moles for a little pin money. He was the king of setting the pincer-type traps, and for awhile there, my yard was mole free. He'd set 10 or 12 traps around my place, then come back a few days later to check the traps and reset them as needed.

He charged $30 per dead mole; if he didn't kill anything, there was no charge.

Sadly, he passed away awhile back, and I'm back to mole city, once again.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're going to have to practice.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #13
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You're going to have to practice.
I can't help it, those things scare the crap outta me.

When the Mole Man would come by, I'd always go out there with him and carefully watch him select a spot and set traps. I asked a lot of questions. I paid close attention. But . . . those damned traps. My hands just aren't strong enough to ensure I don't snap off a finger or three.

Lemme tell you a story . . .

A few years after I moved here, I hired a small family business to trim some trees around my property. This little business consisted of a father (60-ish) that had been a professional logger all his life, and his two logger sons who also had experience climbing tall trees to trim nuisance limbs and branches.

This family team was incredible. Dad supervised, while eldest son climbed 50- to 150-foot trees, swinging from ropes to whack off branches. Younger son was on the ground keeping ropes straight and collecting/moving debris as it fell.

Thing was, though, dad had no fingers. He had two thumbs, but he had no fingers. Ok? This was a man that spent his entire life with a chainsaw in his hands . . . and he had no fingers.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is why I will never own a chainsaw. It is also why I will never become a professional Mole Lady.