The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 PM   #166
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

yup - no surprise there.... We'll see.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #167
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

NATO is going to stick it up our ass. Every country is going it's own way, some of which are going exactly the wrong way by pissing off the locals. Where's Ike when we need him.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #168
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Iran Supreme Leader mullah Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: "In case my underlings weren't totally clear yesterday, fuck you."
Doesn't make any difference, we could kiss their ass and give them the world, but without the US as the enemy they can't justify cracking down on their people. Israel alone is not a big enough boogieman without the US.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #169
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I'm sorry, but I don't see their reluctance to trust us as inappropriate or questionable behavior.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #170
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Who said it was inappropriate or questionable? We've stated what it is, and that it was predictable.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #171
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Uh huh, then why make a whole thread about it. All Iran is saying is that they wont trust us on our word, they are going to react according to our actions. Sounds fairly reasonable to me.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #172
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Uh huh, then why make a whole thread about it. All Iran is saying is that they wont trust us on our word, they are going to react according to our actions. Sounds fairly reasonable to me.
They also specified what those actions must be, which is apologize and make reparations for every slight, real and imagined, ever. They only supplied a partial list though, they'll make up the rest as they go along.

Oh yes, one is we mustn't stand in their way of destroying Israel.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #173
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Unfortunately, we are knee deep involvedwhen it comes to Israel. Isnt it then unsurprising that Iran would consider us untrustworthy? Playing the game means understanding that and thus understanding Irans reaction. Time will tell whether Iran will sees playing with us means anything concrete to them. Will we actually ever make it so for them? Is it even really worth it for us to do so (considering the fact that Russia is willing) What do we really have to offer them?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #174
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
All Iran is saying is that they wont trust us on our word,
And that is the public statement. Get away from the extremists who know Iran is always evil. Then appreciate what is really happening.

Privately, Turkey's president Abdullah Gul is talking to Iran about a new American attitude. Of course Iran will say the same things publically. Only relevant are what they are saying privately.

Turkey, once one of America's top 10 allies, has lost it respect for America. That despite wanting an America it can admire and support. That too will change when Obama makes a visit to Turkey without the prerequisite visit to Greece. Numerous little facts imply something is afoot. If true, our local extremists will either ignore or bad mouth it.

There never was an axis of evil no matter how often extremists declare it. Restored relations with Iran are a remote possibility. If it does happen, wacko extremist (ie Limbaugh) will be all hyped up in a tizzy.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #175
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
There is probably little to suggest that Iraq will "decide we are the enemy again" at least in the short term, but there is much to suggest that Iraq will be much closer politically to Iran than any time in its history.
Only the Shia part. As I stated about 6 years ago, split it up into three parts.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #176
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Privately, Turkey's president Abdullah Gul is talking to Iran about a new American attitude.
Its been reported for over a week. No surprise - not private at all. Rather common knowledge for one who wants to seek information and the truth instead of promote an agenda.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #177
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Its been reported for over a week. No surprise - not private at all.
Public statements are to keep the extermists in line. But since you are so better informed (extremists always know more), then tell us what Turkey said to Iran and what Iran said to Turkey. Their discussions are in private. Since you know so much of those private discussions, then tell us what nobody else can report. Or are you again replying only to argue more Rush Limbaugh rhetoric?

Your post provides nothing useful or informative. Since it has been reported for over week, then you obviously know what was said? classicman has no idea what Turkey, Iran, Clinton, and others have said. He posted only to argue. What - 40 or 50 some posts every day?

So, why is Obama blamed for this? Wacko extremist politics are alive and well.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #178
classicman

Quote:
Privately, Turkey's president Abdullah Gul is talking to Iran...
Your writing style implied that it was some private information you were relaying, I corrected that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Its been reported for over a week. No surprise.
But on that subject, What discussions that any representatives have are public? Discussions of this nature are always done in a private forum.

Quote:
Public statements are to keep the extermists in line. But you are so better informed Their discussions are in private. Or are you again replying only to argue more Rush Limbaugh rhetoric?
And you are towing that line well. If this info was on Limbaugh, I certainly wouldn't know as I have repeatedly said, I don't listen to him. Apparently tw listens to Rush Limbaugh. tw knows all about what Rush thinks & says. Move on please. Your petty BS is getting quite tiresome - AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #179
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I think it can be won if they(we) don't make the mistake of thinking it's a conventional war, (which doesn't exist anymore)and use counter-insurgency tactics Petraus proved effective way back in the beginning of the Iraq war, then used later to break the stalemate nationwide. The key is not to try to lock down the country with military might, but win the support of the locals by providing security in exchange for their cooperation. Unlike Iraq, the locals already know what it's like to live under Taliban control.

Michael Yon.

McCain and Lieberman.
Great. Now we are the world's security force. *heavy sigh*

I think Pakistan is more of a problem, actually.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #180
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Unfortunately, we are knee deep involvedwhen it comes to Israel. Isnt it then unsurprising that Iran would consider us untrustworthy? Playing the game means understanding that and thus understanding Irans reaction. Time will tell whether Iran will sees playing with us means anything concrete to them. Will we actually ever make it so for them? Is it even really worth it for us to do so (considering the fact that Russia is willing) What do we really have to offer them?
Yes, and the person who might have actually gotten the government to take a more realistic view resigned from consideration last week. *sigh*

"Charles Freeman, a man with a long and distinguished career in the U.S. Foreign Service, withdrew his name from consideration to be the chairman of the National Intelligence Council, a key intelligence job. In doing so, he blamed -- and I quote here -- "the Israeli lobby," for his decision to pull his own nomination.

He accused the so-called Israel lobby of "character assassination," of "willful distortion of the record," and an "utter disregard of the truth." Strong charges."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../fzgps.01.html

Certain proZionist organizations are notorious for this kind of behavior, assassinate the character of anyone who questions their motives. It really pisses me off. grrrr
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote