The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Cloud

Stupid question about electricity

I live in an apartment without a washer and dryer, so I use a pressure washer (non-electric) and an electric spin dryer, like this .

Great little machine, works great on my clothes, BUT -- I've burned out the motors on two of them. Maybe I'm just overloading them; maybe the motors are crappy; but I was wondering . . . could it be my outlet?

It says "works on any 110V" plug. The plug I'm using is a grounded plug in my bathroom. But could the electrical current be weak somehow, contributing to the burning out of the motors? (I know it sounds dumb, but I don't know anything about electricity). My apartment was built in the 70s, and various plugs seem to me to burn things out quickly.

I'm getting ready to order another spin dryer (gotta have one) and I'm wondering if I should change the location.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes & no.... electrical appliances are rated by the watts they use. Watts are the Voltage multiplied by the Amperage; ie, 110volts X 10amps = 1100 watts.

If for some reason, like a heavily used circuit, aluminum wiring connection resistance, or a myriad of other reasons, that circuit voltage is low, the amperage has to increase to produce the necessary watts. The higher the amperage the more motor killing heat. Is the plug, and/or cord, warm while in use?

Moving to another circuit may or may not help, if low voltage is indeed the problem, as you might have a problem throughout the place or just on certain circuits.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I'm getting ready to order another spin dryer (gotta have one) and I'm wondering if I should change the location.
Isn't it a waste of money to buy a large appliance when you will be moving shortly? Or did you decide against the move?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Great little machine, works great on my clothes, BUT -- I've burned out the motors on two of them. Maybe I'm just overloading them; maybe the motors are crappy; but I was wondering . . . could it be my outlet?
Yes, and it could be other problems.

First some obvious symptoms. Do incandescent bulbs dim or brighten when major appliances turn on or off?

Second, some parameters that may result in motor failure are low voltage, high voltage, and power factor problems. Probably a simplest tool to learn what you do and do not have is Kill-a-Watt. All three factors viewed digitally by only pushing buttons. Now are numbers to get a useful reply.

Other numbers for a useful reply are manufacturer and model numbers.

One significant reason for motor failure is bad power factor. In simple terms, if voltage and current don't arrive at the same time, then an electric motor can overheat. Power factor of 1 means best power AND means more of the electricity you pay for actually does productive work.

Voltage should remain between 117 and 125 volts AC (which some call 110 volts). Voltage would be outside this range if incandescent bulbs are changing intensity.

Of course, popular myths claim that computers are more easily damaged. Computers must work when voltages are anywhere between 90 and 130 volts. Same bad power factor is not harmful to computers. Do you have bad power? If yes according to above numbers, then your major appliances may be a first victim; computer one of the last victims.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Cloud

thanks, guys. Let me think about this stuff for a bit.

and, Glatt--you have a point, 'tho this isn't exactly a "major appliance"--it's a $134 portable appliance.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do you use it to dry your lettuce, too?
Old 03-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
jinx
Come on, cat.

They have those little spin dryers at my gym, to dry your bathing suit. They're awesome.... I didn't know they make portable ones (only 22lbs glatt).
Old 03-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I dry all my clothes in the microwave. It's very fast.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You joke, but I had a roommate once who would "sterilize" his dirty clothes by putting them in the microwave, thus making them "ready to wear again" without washing. Yes, he was an idiot. It got even better when, while trying to convince his girlfriend that this was a legitimate technique, he tried it on one of her shirts that happened to have some non-cotton materials in it... and it caught on fire.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When my buddy's kid wants a particular shirt that is in the laundry, he does it in the dishwasher. Washed and dried in a jiffy.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
aimeecc
Super Intendent

Try getting a UPS (Universal Power Supply). They regulate the power so that its constant - no spikes, no lows either. You can get one for around $30. I use one for my computer stuff and one for the TV and stereo.
aimeecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
They have those little spin dryers at my gym, to dry your bathing suit. They're awesome.... I didn't know they make portable ones (only 22lbs glatt).
The ones at the pool cost $600ish. I just priced them up for ours
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

I saw one fail spectacularly a few weeks ago... loud metal on metal grinding sounds, sparks and embers shooting from the bottom, it was awesome. Scared the shit out of the little girl using it though.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
aimeecc
Super Intendent

Never seen one before.
But I almost had the piss scared out of me over the weekend. When I was napping with little one while hubby was running errands I woke up to loud bangs coming from the kitchen. First thought was a break in, second thought hubby returned early, third thought something was exploding in the kitchen. After a few more bangs, I got up, armed with cell phone, convinced it was either stupid thief trying to steal our crock pots or exploding soda cans (hubby's car was not in driveway). I sneaked past the kitchen - peaked in and saw nothing. Circled around, heard the banging again, and was confronted by a crazed wood pecker trying to break the window. Guess he heard I make a good baked chicken and stuffing.
aimeecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Quote:
-Works in only 2-3 minutes
-12.2 lb capacity for wet laundry, -5.5 lb capacity for dry laundry
whytf would you put dry laundry in one??

The fitness center at college had those spin dryer things for wet stuff. They were awesome. Don't overspin stuff in them though, it can accelerate wear and tear on your suit.