The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-30-2001, 06:06 PM   #1
serge

If this was Entertainer-In-Chief's daughter.......
Old 05-31-2001, 12:05 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

Dor gods sake give the poor kids some privicy, my got they are 19!!! they have the right in most areas anyway. If this is best CNN can do it sure is/was a slow newsday...
Its like the kids of celebraties, i feel sooo sorry for them, christ if i hit front page ever time i tried to buy booze/got pissed, i'd be....well, famous lol.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:13 AM   #3
serge

You didn't get that one, did you?

If that was Entertainer-In-Cheif (CLINTON)'s daughter..... this would be all over the news.. 24/7.. but where are our Republican friends (enemies) now?
Old 05-31-2001, 10:18 AM   #4
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

If whoever is in the position to press charges has any balls, he'd do it. Because if he does, and Bush tries to intervene, we can impeach him for obstruction of justice. If he doesn't, it shows that not even the rulers of this country are immune to the justice system.

Please God, let charges be pressed.

~Mike
Old 05-31-2001, 12:23 PM   #5
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by serge
You didn't get that one, did you?

If that was Entertainer-In-Cheif (CLINTON)'s daughter..... this would be all over the news.. 24/7.. but where are our Republican friends (enemies) now?
Chelsea had more sense than to get caught. Apparently learned from her mother :-)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 04:38 PM   #6
demian64
Person Who Has Posted

Question where is it

jaguar, in what areas? As far as I know the majority of the country now has a 21 year age limit on alcohol.

What I find ironic is Bush pushing for the enforcement of the financial aid laws that prohibit drug offenders from getting financial aid.

Fun scenario to think of that will never be:

Alcohol is a drug, Bush has been a government employee and his father was as well. Therefore they can't use their money to pay for Jenna's education. Since Bush was such a lousy business man, we can expect he has no cash otherwise.
demian64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 10:51 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ah Demian, but Jaguar is from Australia...one of those more normal countries where you can drink earlier.

Which brings me to this: Why do we use the arbitrary number of 21 here in the States? After all, you're considered an adult at 18 here, and can vote at 18, and buy cigarettes at 18...so why 21 for beer?

To my recollection, two of the last havens of under-21 drinking are gone--New Orleans (which was 18) and the state of Wyoming (the last state to go to 21...from 19).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 03:07 AM   #8
jaguar
whig

I was about to say, i live in Australia but sycamore beat me to it =)
I was also about to say Australia is almost the 52nd state anyway...
But i mean in France and Germany the limit is around 15-16 and in England its 18, i guess it’s like the imperial system in a way...only one left. But the 18 for ciggies and 21 for booze strikes me as blindingly stupid.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:44 AM   #9
demian64
Person Who Has Posted

AH! I see, yes American laws commonly don't make a ton of sense. One thing that always baffled people was that you were old enough to die for yuor country but not old enough to drink.

I live in Illinois and Wisconsin had an 18 year old drinking age but they changed that a few years ago.
demian64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 09:04 PM   #10
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Ah Demian, but Jaguar is from Australia...one of those more normal countries where you can drink earlier.

Which brings me to this: Why do we use the arbitrary number of 21 here in the States? After all, you're considered an adult at 18 here, and can vote at 18, and buy cigarettes at 18...so why 21 for beer?
Because William Bennett's (former Drug Czar, former Secretary of Education) kid died in a drunk driving accident. He provided political juice between a MADD movement. And the result is you can now get yourself an adult criminal record for a status offense. It's disgusting.

Of course, it did provide me amusement when I went to a celebration at work where my employer, a large multinational corporation, bought the first round.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 07:54 PM   #11
GarlicQueen
May Ter Dee

I have obviously been out of it for far too long -- when I saw the title of this thread "alcoholic shrubs", I immediately thought we were going to be talking about transforming fruit vingears (raspberry was the most popular during Colonial time in the Philly area) into a refreshing, but alcholic summer drink. For anyone who wonders what the HECK I'm talking about, the City Tavern at Independence Mall actually serves a very nice rendition on this drink.

I have to get out of the garden more! ;-D

21 (two decades plus a year) was the standard legal age of adulthood in Europe going back to at least the 1600s (might of had something to do with the time it took for an apprentice to go through "journyman" status through to master in the Medieval Guilds, which would put it back even farther.) When 18 year old started getting drafted in the 20th century, there was a push in the US to push back the legal age of adulthood, since if these guys were being asked to die for their country, why not let them have the other privledges of adulthood?

So, 18 became the legal age of adulthood for drinking, too. However, the stats for folks dying (or injured) in alchol-related accidents (including driving ones) went WAY up. Stats for states that didn't lower to 18 remained the same. Stats for states that had a drinking age of 18, then raised it to 21 saw a drop in deaths and injuries -- so many states simply upped the drinking age back to 21.

I'm going to get sent back to the garden if I keep up like this. . . ;-)
GarlicQueen is offline   Reply With Quote