The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #676
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
No warranty on the old new tire? Seems like a defect unless you hit something you didn't see.

Aren't sidewall blowouts unusual?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #677
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There doesn't have to be rim damage to tear up a sidewall from impact, but the radial separation is odd.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #678
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Did the tire sit flat on the rim for a while? You could draw a straight line between those arrows
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #679
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He said he had to drive a short distance on it flat.

Quote:
I put the hazards on and carefully rolled onward another one or two tenths and found a safe spot to install the spare.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #680
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Brake line rusted through today. Fun. Now I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

And because of the warm weather and rain there isn't much snow at the ski area where I work so I've got a few days off.

Aaaaaand, just opened my paycheck and it looks like I was shorted a day or two. Have to check it out tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #681
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Chief Thundercloud of the Notsolucky tribe.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 PM   #682
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Email. I haven't been able to send emails since before noon. I called Verizon when I got home about 5, and after the usual chutes and ladders actually got to talk to someone in less than 10 minutes. I guess I should be thankful for that. Anyway, he told me the problem is on their end, they're aware of it, and would be resolved by 8pm. It wasn't. It ain't.

Then he says while I've got you on the line, your bundles are old and we can change them so you get the same thing for less money. I asked if he was Nigerian. He said I'll call you right back. Mmm ok.

10 minutes later he called back. He told me they would take care of me because I was good guy. I told him I have EXs that would argue that point. I get the same service on phone and TV, but my internet is changing from 25/25 to 75/75. However they have to come out and change the entry box on Monday morning.
All for about $40 a month less.
We'll see.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #683
glatt

Hope it works out.

We have phone and internet, and I considered adding TV recently, but they wanted to rent me a box for the TV. They put that in the fine print when they advertise the monthly costs. "Oh, and $15/month for the box." Seems like a rip off if you're going to have the service indefinitely. If it was for two years and then they drop the rental fee once the box is paid off, I might be OK with it, but that's kinda BS.

And it's been pretty much ignored in the mainstream press. (I have seen a couple small articles in the business section.) Over the air broadcast TV, which is what I rely on, may be shut down significantly in the next year. The FCC is holding a bandwidth auction in a couple months and TV stations are being encouraged to give up their bandwidth so it can be auctioned off to other services like cell carriers. So small stations without a lot of viewership will find that the bandwidth they own is worth more than the adverting revenue they get from their programming, and they are likely to just shut down. I'm a little surprised TW hasn't been here to lecture us all on it.

All this is to say that I may be stuck signing up for Verizon's TV package in the future when they take away my broadcast TV.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #684
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Verizon charges $3 a month for the set top box, or $10 for a HD set top box. You need one for each TV.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #685
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've essentially given up TV. And I don't miss it all that much. NCIS is the only current show I watch, and it's jumped the shark, so...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #686
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Verizon charges $3 a month for the set top box, or $10 for a HD set top box. You need one for each TV.
Yeah, this, motherfuckers.

Suuuuuuure, put in the new box, for nothing, sure.

Turns out that new box for nothing reduces the size of the picture displayed on the TV by... A quarter, give or take. New TV, black bars top and bottom, left and right.

Motherfuckers.

THEIR MENU extends into the black bar area, just none of the content. Choosing "stretch" fills the screen, but extrapolates the picture, so, grainier. Their menu now stretches off the bottom of the screen, unseeable. Fucking fuckers.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #687
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr
I've essentially given up TV. And I don't miss it all that much. NCIS is the only current show I watch, and it's jumped the shark, so...
This. Every time one of my parents come to babysit, I have to figure out how to turn on live TV all over again, because we don't do it. Ever.

And I watch every single episode of the Colbert late show, and Tosh.0, and Nathan For You. But I'd rather watch them on my laptop through their respective websites, than deal with the rest of it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #688
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Yeah, this, motherfuckers.

Suuuuuuure, put in the new box, for nothing, sure.

Turns out that new box for nothing reduces the size of the picture displayed on the TV by... A quarter, give or take. New TV, black bars top and bottom, left and right.

Motherfuckers.

THEIR MENU extends into the black bar area, just none of the content. Choosing "stretch" fills the screen, but extrapolates the picture, so, grainier. Their menu now stretches off the bottom of the screen, unseeable. Fucking fuckers.
This is the first I've head of that, do you have Fios from Frontier? When mine was installed years ago, I already had a plastic pipe from the pole into my cellar that had phone and cable run through it, so they pulled the fiber through that an mounted a big metal box in the cellar. It took the dude much of the day. My buddy up the road just got Vios two months ago and the chick installed the white plastic box on the outside of the house. She was done in 45 minutes.

When he told me that I went online and discovered they use about five different boxes across their coverage. He doesn't have a very big TV but I'll have to ask him about the picture. I don't have a big one either, a 40 inch tube and 42 inch plasma. I'll be sure and question it before they touch it.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #689
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's probably how the TV is configured to show standard def
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #690
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Metallica has me a little bummed today, because they're making me feel old.

"Master of Puppets" was released thirty years ago today.

It hasn't really been thirty years, has it?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 03-03-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mozzarella