The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Paris attacks

Quote:
France’s president, François Hollande, has declared a state of emergency and shut the country’s borders after at least 49 peopledied and up to 60 were injured in an apparently coordinated series of gun and suicide bomb attacks in Paris.

The death toll appeared likely to rise, with automatic gunfire heard in the early hours of Saturday as armed police stormed a concert theatre where gunmen had taken up to 100 people hostage after opening fire.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...sions-hostages

Things are moving fast, so this is likely out of date already.

This feels horribly close to home. I feel for the parisians tonight.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
DanaC

According to the Guardian and Reuters, the death toll maybe around 140. Other sources are saying 118.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
... This feels horribly close to home. ...
Did you make a cup of tea?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Paris is just some spatter from that boiling pot in the middle east. 100, 200, 1000 casualties, are nothing compared to the tallies of millions the warring Muslims have, and will continue to, rack up. That pot will boil until all the Sunnis or all the Shiites are dead. Outside powers and interventions are just temporary dampers on the Muslim uncivil war. If that war comes to an end, then they'll be at war with the rest of the world. You ain't seen nothing yet.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
sexobon

I'm confident that British professionals are just as capable of preventing such things from happening in England as French professionals were capable of preventing such a thing in Paris and American professionals at preventing any such thing in New York.

Once you've made your cup of tea, café au lait or claret, espresso or cocktail, you've done all that a civilized person can be expected to do. Lives lost are a paltry sum when compared to losing one's veneer.

VIVE LA FRANCE (sauf quelques Parisiens)
Old 11-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

I just learned of these attack on my way home from the State Water Polo Championships. I feel so badly for one of the players on our team -who completely excelled himself tonight and led us to victory- he's French, and I think from Paris, and his wonderful victory will be so cruelly tainted. Yes, I know, he's alive and safe...... But he's so young and so vibrant that his sadness and that of his lovely crazy family is likely to be what will affect us around here the most directly.

And completely out of the park, I feel badly for enjoying a "private joke" I shared with no-one tonight. Part of my job was to occasionally wave a white flag and I was thinking of the stereotype....... Ridiculous I know
Old 11-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #7
sexobon

Not so ridiculous. I've worked in France with the French military. I used to speak the language passably (Defense Language Institute class of '83). I'm even a qualified French military parachutist with serial numbered badge and all.

They realize that's the way their society used to work. Neither are they proud of it, nor are they ashamed of it. They just accept it as part of the great social experiment that is France. It's a work in progress and once again trying times will serve to either validate; or, repudiate the direction they're going in. They know the white flag stereotype was earned via a failed portion of their experiment.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How did the team do, monster?
Oh wait, you'll probably talk about that in another thread... nevermind
Old 11-14-2015, 05:05 AM   #9
DanaC

Jan's ex is half French and her oldest lad attends university in Paris. I don't know if he's over there at the moment. I suspect I'd have had a call from one of the Js if he was still over there when this went down.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:17 AM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

I meant what was ridiculous was feeling guilty about an unrelated fairly innocent private thought I had. The French are our (brits) next door neighbors. It is said that even Brits who don't speak a word of French experience less culture shock moving to France than we do moving to the united States. Please stop being an asshole and blaming the victim. If you cannot experience any empathy for France, then maybe for those of us here who do.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 AM   #11
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Mon dieu!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Please stop being an asshole and blaming the victim. If you cannot experience any empathy for France, then maybe for those of us here who do.
Amen
Old 11-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was horrified to find out about these this morning.
The idea of being at a public event where someone just opens fire.
I know death in combat/ of civilians/ for religion happens all over the world, every minute of every day. But Paris really is so close to home for me. I spent time at school in France and I love French secularism. Shame it doesn't protect them.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

What monster said.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #15
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Bus crash, tornado, or heart attack. People die. It happens.

Tragedy is that some people are so wacko extremist as to be so easily brainwashed. To kill for religion - for the greater glory of their god.

How brainwashed? If they had any intelligence, then their god could do his own killing. Why is their god so inferior and pathetic as to need them to commit suicide? Extremists are the easiest to brainwash. We all suffer because of it.

Never forget the source of this tragedy.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote