The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2017, 12:48 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Waitstaff

A little while ago I posted about tipping a waitress a couple bucks plus $20 thinking she would realize it was a tip. I didn’t say so because she came to our table and rather than interrupt our conversation picked up the little folder the check comes in because she could see money sticking out. Next think I know she tries to give me $23 dollars change, but I told her no, keep it. I had however noticed she had broken the twenty into smaller bills. I asked my dinner guest why the waitress would do that, and after describing me in several unflattering words said they do that assuming you want it broken so you can tip them, just not the whole thing. That had never occurred to me.

Last night at dinner, the waiter after offering coffee which neither of us drink, left the little folder with the check while we were finishing the Crème brûlée. We laughed about the incident above, and I’m pretty sure she watched me put the money in with the check, she usually does.
I put in a fifty, a twenty, a ten, a five, and five ones. Now there’s no need to break that down is there? When the waiter came he asked if he should bring back change, and I assured him no.
We sat there talking and finishing our drinks when a few minutes later the waiter snuck up on us from a different direction and startled me, asking if I was sure I didn’t want change. My dinner partner and I erupted in laughter. I mean so loud everybody in the place was looking at us laughter. The poor waiter was flummoxed, so I had to explain the whole set up to him. He laughed, thanked me, and beat a hasty retreat. I don’t think I got him in trouble but maybe embarrassed him a little.

I guess next time I’ll take a pocket full on $1s.