The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

TRW and Frederick C. Crawford

Quote:
Born in Massachusetts in 1891, Crawford was educated at Harvard, receiving a Master's degree in Civil Engineering in 1914. In 1916, he came to Cleveland to work at Steel Products, Co. (later renamed Thompson Products), which manufactured fittings and connectors for automobiles. He started as a Millwright's Helper, and began to work his way up the company's ladder.
Hear that kids? Masters degree from Harvard and started Millwright's helper!

Quote:
Thompson Products Inc. was established in 1900, in Cleveland, Ohio, as the Cleveland Cap Screw Company. It began producing automotive parts and underwent several reorganizations, becoming the Electric Welding Products Company (1908), the Steel Products Company (1915), and Thompson Products Inc. (1926).

Mr. Crawford became general manager of the company's Cleveland plant in 1929, then the company's vice-president, and after the death of Charles Thompson in 1933, company president. 4 years from GM to president. Impressive.
He went up the ladder fast, probably because of his education as well as brains, but on the way up he learned the business and how the company works.

tw will now expound on why that's a good thing and unlike today's evil MBAs
Old 01-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Agreeing with tw in advance.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
glatt

My grandfather would sometimes tell the story of his first job after college.
He got a degree from Notre Dame in some sort of civil engineering field and graduated just as the Great Depression began.

He returned home to little Honesdale PA, where to get a job, you had to literally have political connections. The local politician (he never relayed the title of this guy in his story) would hand menial labor jobs out to his people. My grandfather was not the right kind of people to have a job handed to him. But he went to the politician's office anyway and waited outside in the hallway. He was told that there were no jobs for him there, but he waited in the hallway anyway. People came in, and left with jobs, while he stood there. The morning passed. Lunch came, and the politician came out of his office and glanced at him as he went off to lunch. Glanced at him again as he returned from lunch. My grandfather stood there for the entire afternoon, and at the end of the day, the politician came out and asked him if he had been standing there all day. Grandfather said yes, he had nowhere else to go since he had no job. So the guy gave him the name of some dude and told him to show up at the job site the next day.

So the next morning, my grandfather shows up at this road building site, and told the contact that the politician had sent him. The road boss wasn't ready for my grandfather, but found an old broken pick and gave it to him and told him to get busy. So my grandfather found a large sapling tree by the side of the road, broke it off, and whittled the end of the trunk to fit the pick head. He swung that thing all day, and by the end of the day his hands were badly blistered and bleeding. He had been off at college and had no calluses, even though he helped on the farm the previous summer. And the sapling tree handle was horribly uncomfortable. But he got the job.

About 10 years later, he had taken the leap to open his own business, and was now a contractor himself. He was never the richest man in the area, but he provided for his family and kept everyone fed with a roof over their head and clothes on their backs.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
My grandfather would sometimes tell the story of his first job after college.
He got a degree from Notre Dame in some sort of civil engineering field and graduated just as the Great Depression began.

He returned home to little Honesdale PA, where to get a job, you had to literally have political connections. The local politician (he never relayed the title of this guy in his story) would hand menial labor jobs out to his people. My grandfather was not the right kind of people to have a job handed to him. But he went to the politician's office anyway and waited outside in the hallway. He was told that there were no jobs for him there, but he waited in the hallway anyway. People came in, and left with jobs, while he stood there. The morning passed. Lunch came, and the politician came out of his office and glanced at him as he went off to lunch. Glanced at him again as he returned from lunch. My grandfather stood there for the entire afternoon, and at the end of the day, the politician came out and asked him if he had been standing there all day. Grandfather said yes, he had nowhere else to go since he had no job. So the guy gave him the name of some dude and told him to show up at the job site the next day.

So the next morning, my grandfather shows up at this road building site, and told the contact that the politician had sent him. The road boss wasn't ready for my grandfather, but found an old broken pick and gave it to him and told him to get busy. So my grandfather found a large sapling tree by the side of the road, broke it off, and whittled the end of the trunk to fit the pick head. He swung that thing all day, and by the end of the day his hands were badly blistered and bleeding. He had been off at college and had no calluses, even though he helped on the farm the previous summer. And the sapling tree handle was horribly uncomfortable. But he got the job.

About 10 years later, he had taken the leap to open his own business, and was now a contractor himself. He was never the richest man in the area, but he provided for his family and kept everyone fed with a roof over their head and clothes on their backs.
See Bullet #10.

Good work, grandfather.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Agreeing with tw in advance.
Shit.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote