The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #2071
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I tried to get my homework done before the school day was over, so I'd have more time to play computer games. Teachers weren't always appreciative of my dedication.
I was so fast, I did mine BEFORE school started...! But seriously, I always did it the next day in the morning. And really, I'd only make sure to cover the first few classes before first period started, then I'd do the afternoon classes' homework during the morning classes. My parents never questioned anything as long as I kept bringing home A's.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #2072
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I thought you were pulling out legs, footfootfoot, So I looked it up, and you're probably right. cool!
Got it straight from my bronze casting teacher's mouth.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #2073
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Pulling out legs?
From biders?

I spent a year not doing my homework.
I loved school, hated home. The only way I could keep sane was to keep the two worlds separate.

But of course it was noticed - I went to a good school and staff talked to eachother, especially about bright children. Mum was called into school and I just about died of shame. I was offered therapy - at least a visit to a child psychologist. Mum believed this would brand me crazy forever (she told me it meant my children would be taken off me - I was 13) and refused.

You know there are places in your life where you could turn a different corner...
Just saying.

All I know is not doing the homework didn't impact my learning right up until I was on the carpet for it. In the end it was my guardian angel (drama/ English/ RE teacher) who got me back on track. She was worried that I had too much on my plate educationally and emotionally and perhaps I should give up the role of Blousey Brown in the school production of Bugsy Malone. I was simultaneously gratifed by her care and offended by her suggestion. I showed her what I was made of instead.

Weirdly, my physics teacher even tried to talk me into taking physics at GCSE level. Even after my turn-around I was an appalling physicist - I got 23% in my end of year exam. I seem to remember this being a record. This was before I had even heard of dyscalculia. But Mrs Catchpole was our wardrobe mistress and geniunely believed anyone who could memorise a whole script (inc other people's lines) could surely manage a few basic laws. It was probably the only subject in which I had a valid reason not to do my homework - it was as incomprehensible to me as it would have been written in Mandarin.

Sorry Mrs C - I got a C in Geography instead.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #2074
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Pulling out legs?
Pulling OUR legs. Not OUT legs.

Clearly I didn't get enough typing homework.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #2075
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Men Working’ sign deemed sexist

A contractor working at Sinclair Community College in Dayton, Ohio, put up one of those standard orange "Men Working" signs. The college demanded the sign be removed because it is sexist.
Quote:
Sinclair Community College in Dayton, Ohio, made the call in mid-November after a female employee raised concerns that the construction company’s sign was too biased, WKEF-TV reported.

The construction company, Jcrane Inc., told the local news station that it has used such signs “frequently and have never had a problem before.”

“It is our obligation to the students of Sinclair to provide them with a safe learning environment,” the company said in a statement, adding that safety is its top priority.

“In no way is the signage provided by Jcrane, in particular a ‘men working’ sign, sexist."
The article also says...
Quote:
Dayton locals fell on both sides of the argument.
But a poll at the NY Daily News website, asking if the sign is sexist, is running 3% yes and 97% no, at the moment.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #2076
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

REALLY??????????????????????

It wasn't me. I swear.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #2077
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Maybe Sinclair College needs to give out more homework to keep people busy enough so they don't have time for stupid shit like this.

Besides, what's wrong with being sexy?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #2078
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm too sexy for my sign.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #2079
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Pulling OUR legs. Not OUT legs.
Clearly I didn't get enough typing homework.
Sorry, it wasn't intended to be pedantic.
I was really laughing when I wrote it.

And yes, I do call spiders "biders" when I am being frivolous. Something hard to explain to my two Aspie boys. Tiger will sometimes ask me earnestly whether the eight-legged creature illustrated in his current book is a spider or a bider. Damn. I find if I respond with authority he is comforted. I am more careful now though.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #2080
glatt

Quote:
Well, it is quite the mental image.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #2081
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Sorry, it wasn't intended to be pedantic.
ouch
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #2082
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

"Men Working" may or may not be sexist, but it's usually inaccurate. However "A bunch of men standing around watching one guy do his job" doesn't fit on the sign.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #2083
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Maybe it should read 'Men Goofing Off'? 'Men Liming' (if in Trinidad)? 'Men Being Too Sexy for This Sign'?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #2084
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
"Men Working" may or may not be sexist, but it's usually inaccurate. However "A bunch of men standing around watching one guy do his job" doesn't fit on the sign.
Things must be different in Oz. Here, one would have to work to discern the guy with the shovel doing any sort of job, so the accuracy of the sign stands.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #2085
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Donald Trump has banned Glenfiddich Whisky (Glenfiddich is one of several spirits produced by William Grant & Sons, which also makes Milagro Tequila, Hendrick's Gin and Virgin Vodka.) from his resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donald
“I hereby call for a boycott on drinking Glenfiddich products.” Trump said.
Why?

well, I didn't want to waste a whole thread on the buffoon Donald Trump, but this did catch my attention. And it made me giggle.

Trump wanted to build a golf resort in Scotland some time ago. One of the property owners steadfastly refused to sell his 23 acre spread to Trump, and so Trump's all butthurt. It appears the was successful, elsewhere, I imagine. Anyhow, this Scotsman, Michael Forbes, "took an instant dislike to the man" when Trump met him and failed to be stunned by Trump's moneymoneymoneymoneymoney. Glenfiddich sponsors a "Scotsman of the Year" award, the winner selected by the public, and Forbes won! Now, to get back at him (?!wtff??), Trump's declared Glenfiddich whisky non grata at all his properties. Ouch. I bet Forbes is crying right now. Trump's also made some amusing noises about the issue like:

Quote:
"There is no way a result such as this could have been made by the Scottish people.”
Quote:
“Glenfiddich should be ashamed”
and

Quote:
the award's a “Terrible embarrassment to the people of Scotland.”
What a fucking maroon.