The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-11-2003, 09:31 AM   #1
Billy
Professor

Sex and The City & Friends

The first Friends showed in TVB-Pearl Channel(www.tvb.com.hk) tonight. It is very funny. I like it. Sometimes I can not understand the jokes.

Sex and The City would be over soon. I learned more from the program. I need sex, but don't know to enjoy it. It give me a good lesson.

Last edited by Billy; 05-11-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:32 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Sex and The City & Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy
I need sex, but don't know to enjoy it. It give me good lesson.
Another classic Cellar post.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Re: Sex and The City & Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy
The first Friends showed in TVB-Pearl Channel(www.tvb.com.hk) tonight. It is very funny. I like it. Sometimes I can not understand the jokes.
That makes two of us Billy, though I personally understand the jokes better than I understand why people would sit and watch the show in the first place. (I'm not a fan, in case you haven't figured out! )

Quote:
Sex and The City would be over soon. I learned more from the program. I need sex, but don't know to enjoy it. It give me good lesson.
I personally would suggest you take anything you learned about sex from "Sex and the City" with a large grain of salt. But then, maybe I'm the one living in the disturbing alternate universe and those gals are the ones in the real world. (Tho I do like the readhead... I did watch it occasionally before I cancelled HBO.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:44 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Be careful billy. American TV shows and movies can give you a distorted view of reality. What you see is not necessarily what we have.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
elSicomoro

Re: Re: Sex and The City & Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
That makes two of us Billy, though I personally understand the jokes better than I understand why people would sit and watch the show in the first place. (I'm not a fan, in case you haven't figured out! )
Oh, that's easy to explain. It's b/c you're old, Steve. You're just not made for these times.

I agree with Bruce and Steve on "Sex in the City." Billy, if you really want to learn to enjoy sex, there are some very good books out there that you might want to read. A lot of the sex that is portrayed on TV and in US cinema is grossly distorted.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:06 PM   #6
Billy
Professor

Using them to learn oral English

I don't completely believe what they say. I have my capability to decide the wrong or good. I think the oral English is very cool. I learn to listen to it. Do you think it is a good way?

Thank you for your concerns. Indeed I know little to enjoy sex.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Listening to American radio and television is a good way to become more familiar with our language, but realize that what you will hear is often not 'correct' English, but is more informal (which is also important to learn!)

Oh, and you might want to refer to it as "spoken" English, rather than "oral" English — there is also a sexual connotation to the word oral.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:39 PM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Sex in the City is a great guide for learning to enjoy sex, Billy. The difficult part is getting Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall into the sack with you in the first place. I hear they're rather busy these days. Sigh...
Old 05-11-2003, 11:02 PM   #9
Billy
Professor

America English

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Oh, and you might want to refer to it as "spoken" English, rather than "oral" English ?there is also a sexual connotation to the word oral.
I am preparing for the TOEFL test. The Listening is the students' dailiy speaking like the program. I think it can help me to prepare for the test.

I know the movies and programs have sexual connotation. Many students only learn to say "Shit","Damn","Fuck you" from watching the USA movies. It is one reason that our government would not like import too many Armerica movies. I think I can learn the good things, not the dirty words.

Do you think which way it is better to use to learn Spoken English?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:56 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The best way to learn Spoken English is by speaking it with native English speakers ... that way you get to practice what you've learned from books, or heard on television and radio. Another good source of practice is to listen to interviews on television or radio ... I had a series of tapes that I had to listen to in an advanced college level German class that were very helpful.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:55 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Re: Re: Re: Sex and The City & Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Oh, that's easy to explain. It's b/c you're old, Steve. You're just not made for these times.
True enough. Maybe I can find a porch somewhere to park my rocker.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:15 PM   #12
elSicomoro

You can park it at my place, but you have to promise to tell stories about the good ol' days, complete with ridiculous exaggerations.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:14 PM   #13
Billy
Professor

I can not find one native speaker

I can not talk with native speaker because there are few native speaker. So I have to watch the English TV channel. I think the talk with native speaker is a best way because it is intercommunication process. I believe that I can learn good writing here with your help.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:10 PM   #14
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Location: On the skin of a tiny planet in an obscure galaxy in a lackluster corner of the universe.
I don't know if anybody here is qualified to give you grammar lessons, but you seem to have a farily good grasp of our syntax. I wish I could learn Chinese. The idea that the language is composed of tens of thousands of characters is a little confusing, though. How do you accomodate shifts in language or new terms?

I have listened to Chinese speakers and I cannot make out any individual words. I don't know if spoken English sounds that way to a non-English speaker, but I am curious to find out. Do you have a broadband connection? If so, you could make a broadband call to an American ( or maybe an Australian would give you a better Ping ) - to practice spoken English.

Bertrand Russell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell
ScottSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:38 PM   #15
Billy
Professor

English is difficult to learn

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottSolomon
How do you accomodate shifts in language or new terms?
I have learned English for more than then years.In first I felt that English is easy to learn because it has only 26 letters, but I felt very difficult to lear after I learn more words.In sometimes I don't know how to say when I can speak it well in chinese. Now I just use English to think when I need it. It is very easy to say Chinese for me.One problem is that I can not feel what are the good English articles and I cannot read the word beauty.
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottSolomon
Do you have a broadband connection? If so, you could make a broadband call to an American ( or maybe an Australian would give you a better Ping ) - to practice spoken English.
I have no pc to use. I surf the Internet in my office or in Net Cafe. I know one USA professor who work in China.I call him to speak when he have free time.In work time I can meet foreign workmates, but we have no time to speak.I think to watching TV is a good way too.

I am glad to teach you if want to learn. I must tell you that the Chinese is more difficult to learn because we have more words to remember. The words are very different.