The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #10306
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Excellent news!

I hope it's back in tip-top shape. You certainly sound happy.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #10307
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Yay, beetle! Now drive a couple states East and come trade it in for a nice reliable Nissan with a 100,000 mile Warranty
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #10308
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

So radio has always been a bit of a hobby of mine...I used to have a wireless mic that transmitted over an AM station, and I would pretend I was a DJ and play music and such. And I used to make a lot of mixtapes...still make them on occasion.

We have two radio stations at KU...the big NPR/classical/jazz station and the small student freeform station. Both are great stations that I listened to before I started working at KU.

So I want to volunteer at the freeform station...but you have to be a student. You only need to be a part-timer...one class will do it. So...guess who's going to take a fuck-off class so that he can fulfill his dream of being a DJ?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #10309
Griff
still says videotape

and who knows, maybe basket weaving is your true talent?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #10310
elSicomoro

Honest to God, the most difficult thing in all this is...what class should I take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #10311
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

When one of the Auntiesdigr needed a another class for some weird reason, she took...

Billiards!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #10312
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Mini-road trip? Just you and the radio?
Sort of. In fact, my friends who were kind enough to call and see what I might need, and who took me to the store, wanted to know how many miles I put on it since I got it back. Well, not a ton, but every single one of them was perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Yay!

They should pay you for keeping it so long.
There was a lot of cost. Mostly labor...BUT there were no labor charges on some of the things they did. The labor came from having to pull half the underhood crap out to get to the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Excellent news!

I hope it's back in tip-top shape. You certainly sound happy.
I hope I get to drive it another 100,000 miles. Just realized it's at 99 something. Good car. That's a good girl, yes she is! (that's me talking to Daisy Head Maysie, aka Daisy Mae, aka Daisy. And yes, I actually talked to my car when I got it back, for being so tough.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Yay, beetle! Now drive a couple states East and come trade it in for a nice reliable Nissan with a 100,000 mile Warranty
I was a Nissan SUV forerunner. I had an 88 Pathfinder. Loved it. Then ex started driving it as I got the CRX because I had a huge commute at that time. I love me some Nissans. My car is paid off. What'cha gonna offer me? You know the particulars.

Sorry to hijack the latest happy stuff.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #10313
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Mini-road trip? Just you and the radio?
That can be risky, Radar Love, Surfing with the Alien, And Speed On, to name a few, were very expensive.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #10314
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Really pleased for you Infi. I know it was a crummy time.

I'm spreading this across threads, but I've had the call from the Dr re my beta-blocker prescription. Yay! And he was great and supportive and not patronising (I was unhappy with my previous appointment with that particular Dr)

AND he's issuing me a medical certificate to cover the period where my previous certificate expired and the new one started, which meant I've had no benefits from 22 August until today. All admin errors and nitpicking, but the lack of money has been really really real, only helped by people who had faith in me and my ability to make it through.

Right, so I'm off to collect and fill the prescription and send off the sick note.
I won't see a penny as it goes towards funding my inpatient stay, and that's fine. It's just another thing not to stress about.
Notching my arrow and taking these problems down one by one, made brave bythe bright future I can now see at the end of the tunnel. Even if it makes me sneeze.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #10315
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Good on yer, chuck! Lovely to talk with you this evening. xxx
Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #10316
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That can be risky, Radar Love, Surfing with the Alien, And Speed On, to name a few, were very expensive.
Hundreds and hundreds of years ago I worked second shift in the next town over, about 25 mi commute, and got off work at midnight. Almost without fail, the radio station I was keen on at the time would play 'Radar Love' by 12:20.

When that song started I always reached over, grabbed the shifter and pulled it down into second gear and mashed the go pedal. Man, I loved getting pressed back into my seat, with authority, I might add. That big Pontiac 400, bored .060 over, big lumpy cam, 7M5 heads shaved .020, Quadrajet that came off a 427 grain truck motor, and (after 5, yes, 5 failures) a very-well-built TH350 transmission (I had a $900 trans when all the other fast kids had a $300 trans), it was just brutal in the acceleration dept. Goddamn, I miss that car. '76 Pontiac LeMans Sport Coupe, named The Mighty Ack, btw.

Name:  The Mighty Ack.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  98.1 KB

Thanks for stirring up that memory, Bruce!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #10317
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Also, Grandmadigr is coming on like gangbusters, now. She's been moved to a swing bed facility. Last hip-break (couple years ago) she was there for a week and a half and went home.

Broke hip and wrist on the same side, about a week ago, wrist set and in a cast, hip pinned, and she walked across the room today.

Like I said, tough old bird.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #10318
glatt

That's fantastic news. Tough old bird indeed.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #10319
fargon

Yeah!!! Good for Grandmadigr.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #10320
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh that's good news Grav!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote