The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #31
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The rule of 3s is heavily weighted for the 1st 72 hrs. Experience has shown that if people can survive that long, most will likely get to help; or, help will get to them (YMMV). Likewise, weigh your BLS guidelines for prioritizing acquisitions. Primary survey - ABC, start an IV. // VS // Secondary Survey. That translates into A: Mouth shields, J-tubes, B: tourniquets, topical clotting agents, field dressings, cravats, ace wraps, tape C: ...

... C: Here you may have to make a major adjustment to civilian life. What saves the most lives on the battlefield are IV fluids. Every member of an SF A-team carries a 1L bag of Ringers Lactate, administration set, and can start an IV. As a civilian you'd need a prescription for that. The alternative for someone who can't take fluids PO is RECTOCLYSIS. You'll need to obtain/construct apparatus to reliably deliver the fluids without you having to remain conscious for continued self administration; or, having to stay with someone else. The fluid containers will have to be durable enough to withstand the temperature extremes where they'll be stored. You'll need the capability to both quickly heat and cool the fluids to near body temperature so you don't induce either hyper- or hypothermia. Check body temperature elsewhere so you're not just reading the fluid temperature.

VS: Equipment with which to evaluate your critical management. packed so that it won't break or rust out.

Those things are what saves lives. Stock and configure kits in order of priority for not only your use; but, for others to use on you. That latter aspect may be what saves your life. CPR mouth shields can be a deciding factor in whether or not someone will even try to resuscitate you. Short, concise instruction sheets can help others, even if as only a memory aid, to become engaged in helping. Redundant kits are good backup and contingency planning. They should be easier to maintain in a vehicle or storm shelter.

To take advantage of your familiarity with military supplies, shop online surplus stores. It can be surprising what's out there. Supplies don't have to be perfect to keep you alive for those first 72 hours. After you've accomplished the above, we can get into the secondary survey - non-critical management and palliative care. No point in passing pills and putting on band aids for dead people. Later, perhaps some preventive medicine (e.g. if you know a potential disaster is looming like tornado weather, hurricane, ice storm...etc, - stay off anticoagulants like NSAIDS and ETOH). It might seem like the prevention aspects should come first; but, those things are harder to predict and it's harder to change those behaviors in people.

I'm not trying to be all inclusive here. This doesn't even come up to the level of hip-pocket training, it's just an overview ... food for thought. Feel free to ask questions. I still browse the laundry lists 'cause you never know where you'll find a gem.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
Pamela
Deplorable

I have fairly good medical training. What kind of car med kit are yu looking to have?

Ambulances have a fair amount of stuff, but it's pretty general and geared to keeping a victim alive until you can transport them to a hospital. They are not equipped to handle more than tw or three casualties. Attendants will have to call for backup to handle more than one or two.

Are you looking to handle a busload of crash victims? A grup of college kids that wrecked their Jeep? Your neighbor who bypassed the safety shutoff of his mower and got his foot cut off by the blade?

There are some things you should not attempt without training, such as victim extrication or moving someone with a neck injury.

I can deal with up to two serious casualties with my turnout bag. This can include amputations, GSWs, impalements and major trauma. But I cannot perform surgery or administer more than OTC meds. I do have a few things that are illegal to adminiister wihout a medical licence but in an emergency....
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #33
sexobon

I get the impression he wants to keep it simple to use and to maintain. He most likely won't get CME or refresher training at this point. I'm ATLS qualified. I CAN and have performed surgery. Under Good Samaritan laws, I can administer any emergency med, anytime - anywhere, even if I have to perform a venous cut-down to do it. Big Sarge doesn't need 98% of that. I'm giving him input, commensurate with his level of training & experience, because he recognized his limitations when he said "I guess this means I have enough knowledge to really screw things up." Recognizing one's limitations was a part of my military medical oath as was sharing one's medical knowledge with those who seek it. If Big Sarge's end of this public discussion; however, turns to exceeding his limitations (e.g. I do have a few things that are illegal to administer without a medical license but in an emergency....), please understand if I bow out of the conversation.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #34
Pamela
Deplorable

What I was referring to is a small supply of broad-spectrum antibiotics nd some topical analgesics. I do know how these are meant to be used, but I know better than to give them to anyone. Practising medicine sans a license is a serious felony.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #35
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Look, I appreciate the info. With my BOB that I take hunting, traveling, or at home, I have a military IFAK. I also have epi-pens, Benadryl, immodium, and motrin. I'm looking to supplement with an additional bag to handle more injuries, big or small. I'm seriously thinking about a BLS kit from Galls. Later, I can add a suture kit or staples. I have stitched dogs and horses in the past.

Idea - Should we start a new thread that we can use to rework my BOB, prep supplies, and my cache?? We could also discuss firearm ideas for personal defense and hunting.

Last edited by Big Sarge; 09-01-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Big Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:04 AM   #36
sexobon

Checking out pre-assembled kits designed around your acquired skills is a good idea. The more they address life and limb threatening injuries, the better they are. Don't be in a hurry to get into things like primary closures. They can hurt more than help with wounds contaminated in the field. Delayed primary closures, 4 to 5 days after wounds are initially debride, and secondary closures are prudent more often than not; unless, you're highly skilled in debridement, have access to and a working knowledge (indications, contraindications, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, dosage, administration) of prescription meds (anesthetics, antibiotics ..) and are performing the procedure in a controlled environment. If major blood vessels or nerves are exposed and you've run out dressings with which to cover them, you might consider tacking some tissue together to protect those structures in the field; but, for that you could use safety pins (sterile stainless steel ones). Save the suturing for the zombie apocalypse. If adhesive strip skin closures won't do the job, you probably don't want to close that wound during disaster week.

I'll see if I can find that BLS kit at Galls online to give you my impression. Oh, and for the zombie apocalypse you'll want one of these (hurry to get yours before they're all sold out): http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CODMAN-D...item1e811a649d
Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #37
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Pamela, that list was called "100 Items to Disappear First" not 100 things you should totally have. I read it as more of an indication of how to envision what life is like during an emergency, a lot of people don't have a clue about "life during wartime" and in the winter, there are not a lot of smooth broad leaves to be had around here...
Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #38
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Nor around here, come to think of it ... that list was NOT a list of things to have.
The CDC did a great page on the coming Zombie Apocalypse, which was an in-joke in terms of the idea that it doesn't matter at all what the disaster is; the prep is the same.

Be sure you have potable (drinkable) water. Ensure sufficient shelter that you don't perish in the next few days. You can easily fast for (probably) several weeks, so don't go crazy trying to ensure food supply. As a better bet, furnish yourself with the skills to provide food in the long term, rather than the short term. We'll all survive the short term.

As for first aid, I won't even go there. Sexo and the others aren't telling you guys about the tags, so all the elaborate discussions and exciting protocols are moot. Everybody gets a tag, and then they get the care that the tag dictates. It's all based on statistical outcomes.

However, if the boys want to play, let them play.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #39
sexobon

We're talking about expanding a first aid kit for Sarge to use on himself, his family, and perhaps others in his immediate company when disaster strikes. The premise Sarge forwarded is he's isolated enough that it could be up to a week before he could overcome transportation barriers left by a disaster and get out for help; or, for help to get to him. The first aid kit discussion revolves around self sufficiency. The only triage in this situation would be done by Sarge himself who isn't even bound by those principles when deciding who to help first: himself, family; or, others who just happen to be around. Not much point in talking triage until Sarge has the materials necessary to manage multiple, multiply inflicted casualties either. Right now he has just an individual first aid kit (IFAK) and a few meds. He's hoping to change that.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #40
Pamela
Deplorable

Thread drift happens.

Pamela gets carried away.

It's like the tides.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
sexobon

Here ya go Sarge, I found a disaster kit for you that weighs only 20 lbs. It is; however, so secret that they can't tell you what's in it or even show you a picture of it. They can only give you a price:

MES SPECIAL FORCES TACTICAL KIT CONSISTING OF 27 ITEMS FOR DEALING WITH TRAUMA AND EMERGENCY SITUATUIONS IN A TACTICAL ENVIRONMENT
Old 09-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Should have one in each vehicle.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #43
sexobon

Of the BLS Kits at Galls, the one that seems best suited for personal disaster preparedness considering contents, container and adaptability for handling a couple-three additional items is THIS.

I've piecemealed together my own kits from mostly military surplus OD nylon ALICE gear that's NOS (new old stock - unissued surplus) and surplus medical supplies. It requires devoting time to research what's available on the market. That may not be for you. The results; however, are superior to prefab kits. If this interests you, I can share links for describing and procuring what I use so you can evaluate those items for possible use yourself. Keep in mind that you can choose a carrying bag from any source and order a prefab contents Refill Kit from someplace like Galls if you don't want to hunt down all the supplies yourself. It's worth considering.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The problem is I wouldn't know what to do with most of that stuff. No, I'll just stay here and die.