The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 02-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Old-Timers

We got a text yesterday on the way home from Killington that Pete's step-Dad's alcohol, Alzheimer's, heart arrhythmia routine has been punched up to include a stroke. Remind me to look at a DNR for myself. Anyway late night holding hands with a pretty out of it old guy keeping him from getting agitated. Not a great scene. We know how this ends but not how much time modern medicine will prop him up for be it hours or years.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

A good thing can come if everyone does check their DNR and other orders.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Shit Griff, that's tough, man.

Let Pete know we're thinking about her.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Tough times. Sending love.

Sent by magick
Old 02-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_measure

In medicine, heroic treatment or course of therapy is one which possesses a high risk of causing further damage to a patient's health, but is undertaken as a last resort with the understanding that any lesser treatment will surely result in failure.[1]

Heroic measures are often taken in cases of grave injury or illness, as a last-ditch attempt to save life, limb, or eyesight. Examples include emergency trauma surgery conducted outside the operating room (such as "on-scene" surgical amputation, cricothyroidotomy, or thoracotomy), or administration of medication (such as certain antibiotics and chemotherapy drugs) at dosage levels high enough to potentially cause serious or fatal side effects.[2][3]

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation is a particularly well-known heroic measure; vigorous chest compressions often result in fracturing one or more of the patient's ribs, but since the alternative is certain death, the technique is accepted as necessary.

Patients with advanced AIDS and concomitant pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP) are in serious danger of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). A heroic rescue could use the chemotherapeutic drug trimetrexate, which would destroy bone marrow as well as the PCP, although leucovorin can protect the marrow.

Trying to think about level of care vs quality of life... too many known unknowns.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
A good thing can come if everyone does check their DNR and other orders.
A Do Not Resuscitate order sounds very final (IS very final), but it isn't the only option, indeed, not always applicable.

Please include a POLST.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Trying to think about level of care vs quality of life... too many known unknowns.
Ya do the best ya can do, and that's all ya can do.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. The mind numbs.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fuck that, resuscitate me so I can grope the nurse and curse you motherfuckers one more time. [evil]Bwahahahahaha!![/evil]

Ran across an interesting tidbit awhile back.
Since 2000, hospice patients have tripled in Minnesota, accounting for half the deaths.

Better insurance? More doctors recommending? Get the almost dead one out of the way of normal routine? Ain't nobody got time for that? I'm agonna inherit that house I don't want 'em dying there?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
glatt

I'm sorry Griff and Pete. It's a difficult thing to go through. No schedule, no map, no control.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
We got a text yesterday on the way home from Killington that Pete's step-Dad's alcohol, Alzheimer's, heart arrhythmia routine has been punched up to include a stroke. Remind me to look at a DNR for myself. Anyway late night holding hands with a pretty out of it old guy keeping him from getting agitated. Not a great scene. We know how this ends but not how much time modern medicine will prop him up for be it hours or years.
I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. It's such a painful thing. My thoughts are with you and the whole family.

Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's the worst because you know what's happening and there's not a damn thing you can do about it no matter how hard you wish.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Please include a POLST.
Interesting. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It's the worst because you know what's happening and there's not a damn thing you can do about it no matter how hard you wish.
Yeah, I need to just admit this and let it happen.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 PM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sorry, Griff. Please pass along a hug to Pete for us.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks Clod. Vascular surgery today. Pete's mom is pretty much a Pollyanna, this shits gonna hit hard when it hits but that is the way she's rolled for 83 years so interfering in that would be like telling me the glass ain't half-empty. I wouldn't know what to do with a half-full glass, I might spill it.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I hear ya. Like, even if the glass is completely full, the smart thing to do would be to split it into two half-empty glasses so they're more manageable. That's just common sense.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote