The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #31
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
The city of Chicago has decided that it's ok to keep pygmy goats:
Man my eyes are playing tricks on me. I thought the title was "We haven't talked about goals in a long time".....lol!

I tend not to open anything that says "goats" or "goatse" on it while online.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #32
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

So, you will open anything that says "goats" or "goatse" if you are offline?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #33
Cloud

well, my goals are to eventually retire in Mexico with a full staff to look after me.

. . . what's that?

eh?

goats. GOATS! I don't know from goats!

Nevermind!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #34
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

lol @ Cloud.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #35
Cloud

(crys) I'm so confused!
Old 04-19-2008, 03:18 AM   #36
NoBoxes

"Mmmaa-a mmaa mmmaaa maa mmaaa mmmaaa!"

(Caprinese to English translation: "Don't let them get your goat!")
Old 04-19-2008, 04:57 AM   #37
lushchocolateswirl
Hi just me

Awwhhh now come on guys!!! stop kidding around
Old 04-19-2008, 05:07 AM   #38
lushchocolateswirl
Hi just me

I'm udderly dry, I goats to get some beer now

I know I know you all think I'm a ninny ......oh my god I kill myself sometimes

Sorry didn't mean to BUT in

Oh my god make it stop!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #39
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

We talked about goats very recently.

Last night, in fact. Here are some of the local options.

Griff, paging Farmer Griff, white courtesy phone please.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #40
Griff
still says videotape

If you're thinking about it V, They're good pets if you have good fences. We have their paddock area plus a moveable electric fence so they can get at the succulent stuff that isn't people food.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #41
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Yes, I am *definitely* thinking about it.

A few questions. I know they're herd animals. Is two sufficient? Along with dogs? Is one too few? I have in mind two does. I'll scare up the link from the local rescue site....

Also, there is no way we'll be able to let them graze for their sustenance. Not. Possible. We'll definitely have to supplement their diet. I know they'll eat all the green from the grass to as high as they can reach. I'm...prepared for that. What about trees? We have five or six lilacs in the back yard, and a three pines, one holly and one cherry. None are seedlings, all well established trees. Are they in peril?

When you say good fence... what do you mean? We have a couple different fences on different sides of the yard. Some is six foot dog eared cedar, solid fence, solid posts. I installed it years ago and over engineered it a bit. Plenty strong. Other parts of the yard have four foot high chain link (lowest height, other places higher). Also quite solid, but there certainly is purchase there for tiny feets.

How much poo am I going to be shoveling? How much food will I be putting in? Noise? We have close neighbors. The dogs are well behaved, but we do bring them in when it's cold rainy or they're barking like maniacs. I never thought I'd be asking this question, but are they ... is it conceivable that they could come inside?

What about their housing? What kind of goat house will be needed? Bedding?

I am nervous. Tink is open to owning goats, again. But though she's ok with milking them, she isn't into the milk or cheese. Yogurt?

We love pets, as I'm sure you know. But I don't want to be a poor keeper.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #42
Griff
still says videotape

You should have a pair, anyway. They really want to hang out with somebody. Our's lay down at night as close to the dogs as they can get. They will go find friends if there aren't any around.

They'll break down larger bushes to get at the green and will nibble bark as well. We put chicken wire around an 8" dia. maple that was being stripped of bark between rubbing and gnawing. The lilacs are probably in trouble. A fruit cherry is probably in trouble. The holly may be toxic? We got our's for their destructive potential because of the Game Commision's poorly considered invasive species introductions. They will knock down and strip fully grown multiflora rose, autumn olive, and Russian olive. We move them around in the electric fence so they have fresh greens in season.

Our permanent enclosure is a page wire that is designed for goats. As long as it is tight they can't climb it. The cedar fence should be sufficient. I think the chain link will be okay as long as they can't get on top of it.

Our two goats used about 40 bales this winter, but the feeder was loose so they wasted a lot of hay until I put a piece of fence inside it. The manure is like deer or sheep, dry pellets not messy and very good for gardens. You'll be very popular with the local garden folk. If you connect with them waste disposal should be a snap. We also feed a 18% dairy goat mix to them since Tinker (the goat) is milking about a quart and a half a day. She isn't a pure dairy breed so some goats will produce more. You'll also want a mineral block for them.

If you don't breed them you won't have to deal with milk. Tinker makes some noise when she's in heat, so you might have to listen to that occasionally. Housing is minimal. I built a shed for them but with your climate you'll probably only need a little lean to or something to get them out of the rain/mud. The last maintenance thing is their hooves. They need to be trimmed regularly, but it isn't difficult. If they are not taken care of it can be a real health issue for them.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #43
Griff
still says videotape

So you're not getting in the goat business?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #44
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

TBD.

First, we're getting into the Hawaiian vacation business. Tink and I didn't think it would be fair to the goats to get them, then leave them. When we return, the subject will be reopened. She's said she's open to the idea. I still have some work to do in the back yard, landscaping, etc (laying sod, to be honest). And I think the "basement" of the treehouse will be the best location for the hutch/shelter/den/palace for our newest family members. And that's not yet built.

But I did clarify which pair she *doesn't* want. A pair of young males who look like total badasses. Check out Jimmy and Billy. Oops, link dead. Here is cached picture.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #45
Griff
still says videotape

Pagan looking pair eh?