The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-23-2003, 04:16 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
I got carded this week. Of course, I had a hat on my bald head...dulp!

I finally ruined my old hiking boots, too bad really, they only now qualified to get their drivers licence.
What, are you out of duct tape?
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:38 PM   #17
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
The summer of 2000 showed me that either I was getting old, or that I worked with a bunch of crackhead college kids. I'm going to go with the latter...and keep in mind, this was in suburban Washington, DC.

The company I worked for at the time marketed products to college kids...and during the summer (our busy season), we had quite a few college kids working with us.

One day, one of the girls that worked for us was inviting some coworkers to a party at her apartment later that night. It wasn't something I would have went to anyway, but I made a half-joking, half-smartassed remark, "Damn, don't I get an invite?" Her reply was, "No offense, Terry, but you're old"...and she sounded so serious when she said it.

At the time this incident occurred, I was 24, and had only been out of college for a year and a half.

It's all good though...I probably make more than any of them at this point anyway...stupid motherfuckers.
If this is the same party that I'm thinking of, then my "old" moment happened at the party: I was the oldest one there!!! LMAO!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:44 PM   #18
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by daniwong
Well - I know I'm old - the three kids were in the backseat and Janet Jackson's "Control" came on the radio. I quizzed them on who it was and they were like "Brittney Spears?" Then I told them who it was.

"Oh - is that on the new album?" Uh no. It was on an album in the 1980's. "Really? I thought her first album was the one that had "All for you" on it.

Doh.
Oh dear oh dear!!!!! *cringe* Confusing Spears with Janet??? Lawdy...

And MTV sucks too bad to save them!!!!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:26 PM   #19
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

My kids friends have NO idea who Depeche Mode, Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd is. I didn't even want to think about Flock of Seagulls, Culture Club or Duran Duran. ... ... **sigh**
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:38 PM   #20
daniwong
Vice-President of Resentment

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
My kids friends have NO idea who Depeche Mode, Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd is. I didn't even want to think about Flock of Seagulls, Culture Club or Duran Duran. ... ... **sigh**
Ok - me and the BF have an obsessive love of the Dave Matthews Band. When asked one time who they were - kids had no clue. Then, when told, the twelve year old stated "oh. Old people music."

ACCCCKKKKKK.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:18 PM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

An online friend, who I won't hunt down and kill because I know he's older than I am (he's in his 60s, and a wonderful gent) sent me this recently .... fits in here, so I'm posting it.

I scored 21

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles
5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 08:20 PM   #22
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I got a thirteen. Not bad for only being 33 years old...
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:13 AM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

1-7, 14-17, 19, 22, 23, and 25. score 14
Old 12-26-2003, 12:24 PM   #24
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

17 i guess i am getting old .
I used to think that when i was older than the playboy center folds i was getting old , but now my step daughter in older than the center folds
I freaked when i turned 25 , I wasa quarter centery old .
I turned 40 this year .
Old 12-26-2003, 06:52 PM   #25
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I got 15...and I'm way younger than Griff.

Rho, it wasn't that party. This was some gathering that was planned a short time thereafter. But that party was a trip too...

Some of my college co-workers decided to invite people over to hang out at their place after work one night. I thought it would be a good idea to go...it would be just like the shit my friends and I did when we were in college.

Well, Rho and I went over there...and the kids were living it up, drinking like crazy, blasting the stereo, not a care in the world...just like the shit my friends and I did when we were in college...except that I now found it to be rather irritating.

I came to the conclusion that that sort of thing just isn't for me anymore. And over the next couple of years, I finally realized that I really am getting older...my body doesn't bounce back like it used to, I can't do or don't want to do some of things I used to do, etc.

This brought me to a weird point in my life, which still exists--Rho and I are still fairly young (34 and 28, respectively), but we can't run with some of these young folks anymore. At the same time, we can't run with a lot of people our age, b/c they're wrapped up in their families. Back in Washington, we tried meeting people through a childfree website...and it turned out that the desire to not have children was about the only thing we had in common with many of them...you'd think these people would have better things to do than bitch and complain about children and their parents...

So far, we've found that the best way to handle the weirdness is to simply rewrite the book.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 02:53 AM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 07:45 AM   #27
Griff
still says videotape

That makes you the expert Bruce.

Whats a P F Flyer?
Old 12-27-2003, 08:04 AM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The best "soda pop" machines are still those where the bottles are right there but you can't pull them out of their little metal holder thingie until you put the money in.

And then you still try to beat the mechanism by pulling out two bottles at the same time, but it doesn't work because the mechanism is just right.

I'm sure these old machines are wasteful of energy, with the door letting the cold air out of all the bottles. And the glass bottles would break and wreak havoc, and they were heavy, and they didn't hold much, and if they were returnable somebody had to haul them back to the bottler.

But it was better dammit.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 09:18 AM   #29
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I managed a 19. Although a couple are getting pretty hazy.
Such as Word prefixes. I was taught to remember all my relatives phone numbers like this: Lansdowne-5, 2397.
That dialed my Godmother.

And my memories of the drive-in are those of a child...the last movie I saw in a drive-in (until recently) was Star Wars. And half the time I was more interested inthe concession stand..
On a side note, that particular drive-in is now a strip mall. Like Quakertown needs any more of those.

Brian
Old 12-27-2003, 10:14 AM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My beloved drive-in is now a Fresh Fields, a Chuch E. Cheese, and a Staples.

PF Flyers were just about the coolest shoes on the planet, before there Nike and Adidas. They outmarketed Keds and Converse back in the the day. Also, they sometimes had really cool toys that were given away with every purchase ... There was a jungle tooth thingy, the plastic tinted to look like eather ivory, with a whistle (not a regular old ball whistle, but one of those ones with the rotary blades that made a sound not unlike that of a lonely loon on a summer's evening) and helpfully provided a morse code chart so you could fail to understand the message your friend was whistling you with some authority.

Oh how I loved my PF Flyers, the ONE time I was able to convince my mom that I needed them. We were a Keds family, you see, and our regular shoe-salesman (who didn't sell PF Flyers) made a point of telling my mom how bad they would be for my feet, and how good the Keds were ....

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote