The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 02-07-2004, 09:36 PM   #46
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The easiest way to refute Creationism, IMO...Genesis, 4:

Adam and Eve had Cain.

Cain and his wife had Enoch.

Where the fuck did Cain's wife come from?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #47
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Where the fuck did Cain's wife come from?
People have been pestering Creationists with that question a long time.

Their usual answer is that Eve had many sons and daughters, and Cane married a sister. When asked the obvious followup question of why didn't the Bible mention this fact, their answer is that the Bible only mentions Cane as being firstborn as that was significant, but other siblings didn't merit comment.

This sibling marrage causes a very obvious comment - which can be paraphrased as 'dammit, only rednecks marry siblings, and look at what it does to their brats!'

But the argument about incest being morally wrong and having a tendency to cause babies with flippers that talk and act like presidential politicians gets the response that incest only became forbidden later in time, and that the human race was 'genetically purer' at the time of creation - which is also evident as people lived hundreds of years.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:54 PM   #48
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Re: concepts for schools

Quote:
Originally posted by peasantfarmer
How about teaching this in schools:
There are these two concepts known as creationism and evolutionism.
There are a hell of a lot more than two, if you're going to bring mythology into it.
Quote:
Creationism is not backed by what is known as empirical data. Creationism is based on beliefs passed down through generations. These beliefs, in general, tend to keep order in the lives of many millions of people around the world and may likely contribute greatly to the prevention of mass chaos. The study of how these beliefs affect the behaviors of the world populace is interesting and forms a large body of work which you may someday choose to study.
This is something you want in a science class? It's not like it's hard to find a Sunday school.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:14 PM   #49
juju
no one of consequence

Hey, can we have evolution taught in Sunday School? What about equal time?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #50
peasantfarmer
Recruit or Something

Happy Monkey wrote: There are a hell of a lot more than two, if you're going to bring mythology into it.

I apologize for my lack of clarity in my writing. I was suggesting a dialogue in which neither creationism nor evolutionism was determined by schools to be right or wrong. I didn't intend to suggest that mythology belongs or does not belong to any concept.

Happy Monkey wrote: This is something you want in a science class? It's not like it's hard to find a Sunday school.

Again, I apologize for my lack of clarity as I certainly did not intend to suggest that creationism be taught in a science class.
peasantfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote